Zemake integrated hub

docdelete

1 mW
Has anyone stumbled over this kit in practical experience? I bought one with a 20" rear wheel, for a daft BMX mash-up to make a 'ghetto' urban e-bike. It came with no instructions and info seems non-existent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002043479399.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802TYOk4z

I'm posting in case anyone (a) knows this by another brand and (b) wishes to chime in on the 'almost a solution' nature of the design. ;)

It adds graded assist only once the hub starts moving, and it does seem to be feathered to a certain extent. The trigger throttle does not work from standstill - which is probably good to reduce load on the motor.

The advert seems to claim that the controller resides in the base of the battery holder, but I'm not convinced by that.

It's odd - it has no hookup to brake cut-offs, and relies on just being slowed down by the bike's existing braking below a threshold point. A bit dicey especially on a twitchy little BMX bike. At the back of my mind during a few test rides was to reach for the battery off switch in an emergency! In reality, it relies on your brakes being in tip-top condition, and your feel for them being good, because you really have to stand on them.

Given it's peculiarities I'm not sure how I'll proceed with it. I wish I could find some information on it - it'd be a shame to miss a trick if there are a few tweakable parameters within the control display.

(My experience consists of builds with cheap hub motors/controllers, a couple of reprogrammed TSDZ2's and a Bafang BBS02, also reprogrammed.)

It doesn't cut off when you release the throttle?

Chalo said:
It doesn't cut off when you release the throttle?

Nope, I think the throttle is a typical 'bolt it on because people ask for it' feature. Basically, if the wheel rotates beyond a certain speed the motor is engaged, like it or not. I think it works like a latch control: you can increase the power with it, but it stays pegged at that level.

The only way to slow down, stop, is to use the brakes like you're the boss ;) then you're fighting against the momentum of the bike /and/ the drive of the motor. Once rotational speed drops, the motor cuts out.

It may not be surprising that this isn't a widely-popular model!

Back