"Zephyr" - Finally, the "v4" Fechter/Goodrum/Hecker BMS...

geoff57 said:
Hi
Does this mean there is a problem with the bom or is it just to put in some alternatives as when you put up the first bom we wiped out mouser.

Geoff

The first ones just had a few errors, which were pointed out here.

Zenid said:
Excuse the noob question, but are you selling them:

1) just as boards, where we're on our own to get the components separately from the list you provide
2) with components (to solder on ourselves)
3) or complete?

I'm only offering option 1, with the PCB and detailed assembly/test instructions. The BOM files contain a column of data that can be cut and pasted into Mouser's automatic "BOM Import Tool", which then automatically places all the items in your shopping cart. It doesn't get much easier than that. :)

Andy, and maybe Richard, will be offering completed and tested units, sometime in the near future.

-- Gary

Hi
For those of us that decided to get the bom sorted out before the boards were available just what components have we got wrong you know from fetters post that a lot of us have it seemed jumped the gun, so just how much are we going to have to replace, it would be good to have all the right components before we start without ordering from scratch again. The 24 channel bom cost about $160, that is a lot of money how much more have we got to spen putting the parts list right.

Geoff

Gary - Can you recommend a substitute for the 647-UMA1C470MDD1TE capacitors? Mouser is all out.

They are also out of the 652-3362F-1-102LF and 270-210-RC.
I was going to get the 652-3319P-1-102 and 270-220-RC to replace those...
Thanks - Nate

GGoodrum said:
The BOM files contain a column of data that can be cut and pasted into Mouser's automatic "BOM Import Tool", which then automatically places all the items in your shopping cart. It doesn't get much easier than that. :)

This is so cool :D I had to try it right away to see if the total cost would send me running away screaming... :lol:

I put in the amount for 24S LiFePO4, and it mostly worked, however I did get:
"No Match Found For 594K104M15X7RF53H5 2 810FK16Y5V1E475Z 4 781N4744A 3 5121N40"

Just a couple of kinks to be ironed out...

geoff57 said:
Hi
For those of us that decided to get the bom sorted out before the boards were available just what components have we got wrong you know from fetters post that a lot of us have it seemed jumped the gun, so just how much are we going to have to replace, it would be good to have all the right components before we start without ordering from scratch again. The 24 channel bom cost about $160, that is a lot of money how much more have we got to spen putting the parts list right.

Geoff

No errors, just omissions, like not enough of the MTA 156 connectors, and TPS2812 gate drivers. I also left out the 210 ohm and 100 ohm resistors (Rx08 and Rx09...).

For the 47uF electrolytics, pretty much anything listed with a voltage rating of 16V and higher will work. I picked these because they are physically very short. :) Her's one that is in stock: 667-EEU-FR1E470B.

For the 1K pot, again there are lots of alternates. Here's one: 652-3306P-1-102

For the 210 ohm, try 220 ohms instead. It will just slightly rise the HVC trigger point, but since this is a failsafe function anyway, it won't change enough to matter.

-- Gary

Zenid said:
GGoodrum said:
The BOM files contain a column of data that can be cut and pasted into Mouser's automatic "BOM Import Tool", which then automatically places all the items in your shopping cart. It doesn't get much easier than that. :)

This is so cool :D I had to try it right away to see if the total cost would send me running away screaming... :lol:

I put in the amount for 24S LiFePO4, and it mostly worked, however I did get:
"No Match Found For 594K104M15X7RF53H5 2 810FK16Y5V1E475Z 4 781N4744A 3 5121N40"

Just a couple of kinks to be ironed out...

I'm trying to put together the an order for a 20 Cell System from the 24S LiFePO4 and I am guessing the McMaster # are not available from Mouser, but need to be ordered separately from McMaster-Carr? The following items;

M3x8 buttonhead screws McMaster# 92095A181
M3 nylon-insert locknuts McMaster# 90576A102
3/16"x3/4"x12" aluminum bar McMaster# 6023K131

I am also guessing the al bar needs to be drilled and tapped for the M3 X 8 screws?

geoff57 said:
The 24 channel bom cost about $160, that is a lot of money how much more have we got to spen putting the parts list right.
Geoff
I'm getting £163 (about $260) come up for the 24s LiFePO4 components list :shock:
[EDIT: Scrub that, it's £149($240), now that I removed stuff from a previous order, still high though]
I selected the section for "Charge Controller + 24s LiFePO4 Cell Circuit". What are you selecting? Did yours come up in $US?

If they're going to screw us for international orders this could be a problem for non-US residents :(

Gary - I got the 647-USV1C470MFD. Hope that will work OK.

Zenid - My order was about $160 USD.
Make sure you are copying only the last column. The items should be listed with the item then a "|" then the amount. i.e. ( 594-K104M15X7RF53H5|2 ) Also note that the "|" is not lowercase L or uppercase i, it is the symbol above the enter key...
- Nate

Nate said:
Gary - I got the 647-USV1C470MFD. Hope that will work OK.

Zenid - My order was about $160 USD.
Make sure you are copying only the last column. The items should be listed with the item then a "|" then the amount. i.e. ( 594-K104M15X7RF53H5|2 ) Also note that the "|" is not lowercase L or uppercase i, it is the symbol above the enter key...
- Nate
I did that. The order total is £149.81 (now I took out something that got in there from a previous order). That's about $230.

It diverts us in the UK to a version of the site that screws us for shipping and import taxes etc., I think is the problem :(

I'm seeing a figure in UK pounds instead of dollars.

BTW what is:
MTA 156 T-handle tool 571-598041

That alone comes to £34.72 (about $55) in my list...

Zenid said:
It diverts us in the UK to a version of the site that screws us for shipping and import taxes etc., I think is the problem :(
There are electronics suppliers on your side of the pond too (sorry, I'm not familiar with any, but I'm sure others are), that might be a better option for you. It would require more time finding the items, but if it saves you $100...

BTW what is:
MTA 156 T-handle tool 571-598041

That alone comes to £34.72 (about $55) in my list...

It's the crimpless tool used to insert the wires into the balance connectors they are using. If it works well, it's a much better solution than paying $300 for the JST crimp tool or using a $50 tool that only kinda sorta works.

velias said:
I bet you could get by without the tool by using a small bladed screwdriver
Well, yeah! It sounds like the same kind of thing as what you use to wire up an ethernet plug. Not worth $50, if I understand it right...

What does everyone think? There's a chunk off the price right there...

Wow, $55? That is pretty ridiculous. Here they are about $22 on Mouser. Worth it at that price, in my opinion, but not for much more. You could certainly just use a small screwdriver.

I have finished updating the site, and I have them enabled here: http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26. Initially, however, it will be just the PCBs and not a printed version of the instructions, which aren't complete just yet. I hope to have the first cut of the instructions done in the next day, or so.

-- Gary

I'm curious, this doesn't include the little current limiting circuit that we use for the hiccuping meanwells?
We still have to use Fechter's little current limiting board on our meanwells right?

GGoodrum said:
Wow, $55? That is pretty ridiculous. Here they are about $22 on Mouser. Worth it at that price, in my opinion, but not for much more. You could certainly just use a small screwdriver.
FYI. I've been checking over all the items I have in the shopping basket for the 24s LiFePO4 components, as it threw an error when I entered them, but gave me no useful information about what the problem was. I ended up with 39 line items in my shopping basket, as compared with the 41 rows of your component list for this section, however I tracked down the discrepancy to two item numbers in your table. The amounts are fine, it's just that you have two rows for each, one for "24" and another for "1" as the amount, like so:

512-2N3906TAR|1
512-2N3906TAR|24
299-1K-RC|1
299-1K-RC|24

These get consolidated in the shopping basket to just one line-item of each for "25". Don't know where that error came from, as everything looks accounted for :?

Nice work :)

velias said:
I'm curious, this doesn't include the little current limiting circuit that we use for the hiccuping meanwells?
We still have to use Fechter's little current limiting board on our meanwells right?
Right.

There is also now an "Alarm" output that can drive a buzzer, or a 12V relay, for instance, instead of cutting the throttle signal. This sort of LVC method, either the trhottle or the alarm signal, means there's no limit on discharge current for this BMS design. The discharge wires do not need to connect to the BMS at all.

Does this mean there is a 12v output to power the coil of the relay?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what sort of charging power supply would this need/accept?

chxs said:
Can i replace 270-210-RC by someting else ???

GGoodrum said:
For the 210 ohm, try 220 ohms instead. It will just slightly rise the HVC trigger point, but since this is a failsafe function anyway, it won't change enough to matter.

-- Gary
Use the alternative in the BOM: 270-220-RC
- Nate

Nate said:
chxs said:
Can i replace 270-210-RC by someting else ???

GGoodrum said:

-- Gary
Use the alternative in the BOM: 270-220-RC
- Nate

Tanks !!
And using 652-3362X-1-102LF insted of 652-3362F-1-102LF is ok ????

Back