Cigarette Lighter FLAME THROWER alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reid Welch

1 MW
No lawsuit will come of this minor burn damage (second degree, barely).
No recompense will be asked for.

Have done my civic duty and notified the makers.
They will be in direct touch with me very soon.

It is a fluke accident. These things can happen.

DO NOT EVER EVER "aim" a butane lighter in the direction of your face
when you "flick your BIC". Such a fine company, and the product: decades-old, proven-safe design.
But something went wrong

FAAAWHOOOOPH! Butane at its vapour pressure of about 10PSI, instantly all dumped from the tip of the lighter;
I do not know how, but I suspect the metering valve (if that's what it is termed), somehow failed.
BIC corp. engineers will get the now-empty, white, regular, full sized BIC by mail, and will determine the cause of the failure.

NB: NEVER EVER aim a lighter at your face, even from two feet away.
Hold it vertical, at least, and be careful. It could have been so much worse.

These images were made 30 minutes ago.
The accident: 48 hours ago.
I am no longer in any pain worth mentioning. No pain now.
No scars will result.
Lucky me: I had my reader glasses on, now defaced, those polycarbonate lenses,
or the "free singe shave" would have taken off my eye lashes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No worries, mates. I will amplify on this in a bit.
NO LAWSUIT. I am not made that way.
After all, it's just a minor burn and it was just "one of those things"
and besides.... I had that nearly-empty, white lighter (you can see how much liquid remains in a white Bic, held to a light),
HORIZONTAL = don't do that, ever, fool-reid, or YOU, either! :x

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear BIC,

No worries. Just to possibly save others from much worse injury, etc.
Your product is quality, and this is probably a one-in-a-jillion accident,
a freak of "sxxx happens", mechanical nature.

IMG_0202-1.jpg

vanilla ice said:
At least get some swanky new reading glasses out of them.. :)
Man, you be da ICE cool on da draw, dawg! I be a fif-ty five rap-pah wit' age on my draw-ers! SHIT, dat is, yet I be on law-yers! Tellin' dem what I is an' ain't: I ain't but a old white boy, no saint! I don't go shootin' my seff in da head; I just go flickin' my Bic instead!
An' when I frock my seff all up, I 'spect a vanilla will scoop me up!

And so it is and so it was.
V.I. is real.
And so am I.

Reid, a.k.a "V.D. Dawg"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread may be closely tied in to the Chinese product thread over there eh.. very glad to see you're relatively ok, take it easy for a while Reid!

Good thing a thick polycarbonate lens, while not technically fire retardant, is a little more fire retardant than a corneal lens..

Reid, You are a walking disaster area! :lol:

You should walk very lightly and lock yourself into a safe room.

Ol blood and flames Welch. You have been dubbed!

This is why we have snuff. Not the chewy/"plug" kind but the up-yer-nose powder. Zero hazard from combustion. Zero smell from combustion. Zero record of cancer from consumption. Through your nasal membranes like coke. But ya then blow yer nose/expel the "waste" after the nicotine has been absorbed... All the negative stuff you read on the cigarette packaging (carbon monoxide, tar, etc etc) are the products of *combustion*...

Plus snuff has "paraphernalia" like bottles and rockets and such... fun!

I tried the nicotine supposities but then they made it a non-farting office. With snuff it is win-win...

tks
loK

TPA said:
Reid, You are a walking disaster area! :lol:

You should walk very lightly and lock yourself into a safe room.

Ol blood and flames Welch.
You have been dubbed!
NO! NEBBER! Youuuuuu...land-lubbing lardie!
We all be PIRATES here, yarrrrrgh.

And in concord wit' this here order, we be only taking PIRATICAL TAWK here,
from here, to Davy Jones' dank keep!

Yarrrrgh. There be the PLANK if ye don't now see eye to eye
wit' me brass shoe buckle, ye scurvy knave! :twisted: :lol: :wink:

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

PS: any edits to come will be to just "perfect" my pirate accent. I kin also do Cockney'd, ms? wanna 'ear me fail?

Nooooooooo, sez Mr. Bill.

Lock said:
This is why we have snuff.
Not the chewy/"plug" kind but the up-yer-nose powder.
Zero hazard from combustion. Zero smell from combustion.
Zero record of cancer from consumption. Through your nasal membranes like coke.
But ya then blow yer nose/expel the "waste" after the nicotine has been absorbed...

All the negative stuff you read on the cigarette packaging (carbon monoxide, tar, etc etc) are the products of *combustion*...

Plus snuff has "paraphernalia" like bottles and rockets and such... fun!

I tried the nicotine suppositories but then they made it a non-farting office. With snuff it is win-win...

tks
loK

spittoon_fake_b.jpg

Yarrrrrgh!

:wink:

No Man... Ya didn't Reid what I said. Up yer NOSE. Not a chaw in yer jaw! None of this spitoon biz. `Sides, fun to offer "May I give you a pinch" w/all the following misunderstandings... :lol:
tks
lOK

Sorry Ried, but you just made me laugh my ass off. Having burned off all my head hair once, I can laugh at your pain. It's funny how the common everyday thing can be so deadly when you get uncautious.

Amazing how much burns freaking hurt though, to this day 30 years later I still have an ability to ignore small pain when I feel like it. Nothing compares to being on fire. Richard Pryor had it right, you can run amazingly FAST. I bet the burnt lips really smarted, but I still couldn't help laughing at the pic. When I got fried, the fireball blew my brother out the door and he lost his eybrows and looked goofy as hell for a few days and it reminded me of that. I got blown into the room and ran around in circles in there on fire awhile. It was a contact cement fumes explosion.

Lock said:
No Man... Ya didn't Reid what I said. Up yer NOSE.
Not a chaw in yer jaw! None of this spitoon biz.
`Sides, fun to offer "May I give you a pinch" w/all the following misunderstandings... :lol:
tks
lOK
:|

It does not matter. Tobacco stuff, in any form, is cancer-provoking;
not a sure bet, but surely not the horse I'd put my money on to win.
And I AM A SMOKER and MY FATHER DIED OF LUNG CANCER.
Q: why does Jesus, reid! :lol: smoke, then?
A: because it is a comforting drug, that nicotine, and
jism-boy's days are numbered already, and he has no blood-worthy survivors, and he has SLE,
which, being natural discombibulition of the immune system =may= confer some protection against cancer/s
(The Reid is a fool and Wishful tinker-thinker, and has no fear of dying next month, or even, tonight).

I shall reply in dogg'rl verse,
Slightly cruel, and sure, perverse:
CHILDREN, YOUTH,
Be aware! Cancer comes not just from air.

I would ask late Uncle Paul
Just what became of his half-jaw
And of the pain, prolonged he'd gain
If all the chaw he'd chew again.

Figure it out, yet, all people, everywhere? NO tobacco product, in any form of use, is "safe".
Nicotine, per se IS NOT CARCINOGENIC. It's the hundreds of arcane chemicals in the natural leaf that, can, in time,
GET YOU BUT BAD.

r, out,

time for Fibber, who never, really, tells a lie.

screenshot214lk3.jpg

Off to learn and love with Fibber McGee, cheers and hugs,
and nobody dies, except from slipped chisel-itis, and then, only in the imagination.

Goddammit Reid, you do have a knack for finding creative methods of self-injury, don't you? Just once I'd like to log into this board and not find any "damage photos" of you on the front page of Active Topics.

Glad you're OK, though - damage photos don't look TOO bad at least - looks like you were lucky to have escaped second-degree burns for the most part. Flammable gasses are nice like that - at least they won't stick to your skin and keep burning like flammable liquids.

Was the lighter left outside or exposed to heat by any chance? Here in Phx, a lighter left in a car or outside even for a short time will shoot a much longer flame than normal (although nothing that would cause injury unless grossly misused). I've never heard of a Bic failing in this way before, and now I'm nervous :? .

As for snuff - never tried it, but interested in it (in theory at least). Does that stuff eat away at your nose lining like other nasally-ingested drugs? I feel like it must - putting that much foreign contaminants in contact with your mucous membranes can't be good for them. As to whether this is preferable to smoke damage to the lungs, well, I have no clue on that one.

So, Reid, the obvious solution here is the same one it always is on this board: electricity stored in lithium.

Perhaps a lithium-ion battery powered tobacco vaporizer is in order?

http://www.smokestikusa.com/ A little on the expensive side, but damn if it isn't cool.

I have one of these: http://www.storz-bickel.com/vaporizer/vaporizer.html but it's not battery powered, portable, or cool-looking like the smokestik. It IS versatile, however, allowing for a wide range of temperatures, and thus a wide range of plants that can be used with it.

Like kick scooters versus pedal bikes, there are NO studies that compare snuffing (up yer nose) to smoking, but common sense (my fav oxymoron) should suggest that non-burning is better. Welsh coal miners have snuffed for centuries to clear their nasal passages of coal dust but have no significant incidence of "nose cancer"...
tks
loK

Dear Lock,

Popeye Reid here.

Yer pays yer monies and yer takes yer choices and yer makes yer bed of posies and lie in dem,
or give a bunch of red-red rosies to yer Olive Oyl when yer eighty.

GUESS WHERE the Popeye cartoons were made, the original ones?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Kind regards,
this is just Jesus, reid!, having fun
and helping people as only he can fumble
so very, very well.

Made in Miami

[youtube]1AZAbSXmeoI[/youtube]

And who was the inventor? Double click on the player.
WHO is Max Fleischer? A Jewish man, that's who.
And WHO was P.B. Welch, MD,'s , good, good pal for those few, palmy Miami years?
And WHO helped P.B. make the first-ever color motion pictures of the human stomach digesting food,
viewing, photographing in color, gastric lesions, perhaps, and cancers? MAX FLEISCHER and my g'father, by god!

And to make the story fully clear. Uncle Paul did not leave home at eighteen, nor even seventeen, as did my father, *USN*.
No, Paul ran away at sixteen. He told me so. "I could not take it any more. 'Up on the table, Paulie?' And down would go the RIGID PIPE gastroscope",
with the Fleisher-fitted Kodak eight mm. camera with the newly-introduced color positive print film. Time and time again. Pain.
"Was he a bad man, Uncle Paul?" "No, Reid. He meant well. He just was so kind and concerned and driven to innovate;
he gave his services to indigents, but...to his own family...he made them all his guinea pigs...and he was much nicer, in a way, to total strangers,
than he was to his own, truly loved, family. He did not understand himself..."

And neither man, neither Fleischer nor Welch, was religious. And it was an era of OPEN SEASON against Jews.
And my g'father was about the only gentile in this great city who openly fomented for tolerance,
sponsoring, even, the late 1930's immigration of an Austrian MD, wife, family, in order to save them
from CERTAIN DEATH. P.B. Welch did his part. So DO I.

Amen! I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, toot toot!

I could go on. Paul left home at sixteen, worked as a cowboy out West until he could legally enlist,
and never went home again, except on leave.

Neither son was "at home" when that benighted saint, P. B. Welch, stopped talking in mid-sentence
(see the grand exposition of Reid and his world and Welcome to It, thread?).

I SALUTE them all: Max and P. B. and...tens of thousands of others I have touched, just in the past few years of writing online.
They will never be the same. They will not make errors that I have made. They will learn from my mistakes, and the innocent errors of,
say, Max Fleischer, Ernest Hemingway (another pal of P. B. 's), of Judge Welch, of Reid Welch, and every other g-d, well-intentioned LOSER, or,
rather WINNER over Life's travails. Travels. Gulliver's.

edit in time i hope, last spelling of last name, "Fleisher", not "Fleisher", as it was but is no longer. any other overt errors? I see none at this dyslexo-moment of time.
frock details. big picture instead.

Admin?

Please to lock this thread now?
It has done its job, intended: which was to be very sure that nobody ever be burned by a hapless cigarette lighter.

I tend to use that word, "hapless", too much lately. It's only a thoughtless, innocent thing.

The Bic people know that I will never harm them or their reputation.
I will never "sue" them in any way shape or form. But the city here...they owe me...

Now, uh. We've had a very good, unplanned, unpremeditated fine time.
We (meaning ME TOO) have learned yet another lesson.

Bite into "reid", and you never know what flavour comes out.

I use British spellings because our board is international, and so many English speakers are not Yanks.

Thank you for closing this thread.

Lock, I love you like a brother, now and forever. You are my friend, always. You all are my friends, eternally, in print now, stuck like me, to legal flypaper.

Joy to all, and good physical health and children and puppies and no Re-Morse, except for the singer forever reminding us below:

Play it again, Sams?

[youtube]WADhw1temyM[/youtube]

Admin is busy doing more important things: like productive work, parenting, etc.

In time they will lock, per my entirely reasonable request, this thread, and leave it in General

for this is a clean, harmless, godly (figure of speech) thread.

It is a good thread. It is a right-thread. It is made of Kevlar fiber, unbreakable and non-flammable,
age-proof, never to rot, never to be forgotten.

bless you all,

Tiny Tim (yes, he was my personal friend too and I can prove it, if deposed to do so).

When I was taking a welding class many years ago, one of the other adult students had a spark pop up and then land in his front shirt pocket...where he kept his bic lighter. I set my pants on fire, but this guys spark melted the plastic side of the butane lighter and pretty much exploded.

Some serious burns and he's missing a nipple from a skin graft taken from his nether regions, but he was fine other than that. Glad you're OK, Reid.

Still not locked down? Well, let's make techno-hay while the sun still shines?

Please double-click anywhere on the player window above? It is a very good transfer from either DVD or VHS, to Youtube's "flash player" (.swf)

Remember, folks, we are in the infancy-age of video over the internet; itself being like the Telephone was, technically so, in, say the year 1881.

Bandwidth is extremely limited for 99% of us in this year of His Ford, 2009. :cry:

Perforce, the Google/Youtube team must severely compress, even further, any "SD" or "DVD" quality transfer, in order that the average Broadband Joe of to-day,
at, say, 2mps, can view the video without stoppages and glitches.

In a few more years we mostly all will have 6, 8, 16, and even faster connections.
Those of you still stuck on dial-up: this is your failure, your fault, or broadband is not yet available or affordable in your area;
in result, your Internet is akin to two tin cans connected by a piece of taut string, one person yelling into the tin can, whilst the auditor holds the receiver to his or her ear,
fifty feet away.

In other words: you dial-up users are getting but one one hundredth of what you deserve from the Internet, to-day.

Bandwidth will increase for us all, in time. In a few years, even poor children in darkest Africa will be able to view ALL of what's going on,
read ALL the books ever put to print, online, for free, and

JUST YOU WATCH. The future is NOW. And it's getting more and more real and available every minute of every day.

In a century, all this, should these words survive (unlikely), people will say, "Wow, they did so much with so little",

just as we look, with astonishment at the feats of ancient engineering: the Pyramids, the Brooklyn Bridge, The Great Eastern,

gaslight...gone, but not forgotten.

-----
Self-taught linker-together-of-all-people-of-all times,

Reid

P fuckin S:

George Stevenson, TOoOOOT ToooooT! Hail, Britannia! Lincoln! Booth, Edwin! Tesla, feeding pigeons in the park, obsoleted by time and
ruthless usurpers of his genius, but, content at the end; an utter realist, gentle, forgiving, to the very end...and he's not gone! Not really.

The future is yesterday, today, tomorrow, and YOU ARE PART OF THE ENTIRE FABRIC OF CIVILIZED MANKIND.
I am not your "superior" in any way, shape, or mal-formation. I am only an amanuensis. Look up the word?

True love never dies.

spinningmagnets said:
When I was taking a welding class many years ago, one of the other adult students had a spark pop up and then land in his front shirt pocket...where he kept his bic lighter. I set my pants on fire, but this guys spark melted the plastic side of the butane lighter and pretty much exploded.

Some serious burns and he's missing a nipple from a skin graft taken from his nether regions, but he was fine other than that. Glad you're OK, Reid.
Thank you.
What a real, life saving report, sir!

From YT, again. ZOOT, get broadband, old man! I'm old too. ERNIE is older than you by far. HE has been online since 1983. Viewtron. Look it up, folks? That year is when I first went online. And it was miserable, but amazing.

(one mo' whilst I fetch a deliberate BIC destruction, horrific child-play. DON'T MESS WITH FIRE, buds?)

[youtube]pKzAJMZaYpU[/youtube]

Again, it is NOT any "fault" of the makers of this brand of ciggy lighter, this alarming video.
The product is 99.99999% safe when used as directed, OR IT WOULD NOT BE ON THE MARKET TODAY.

You can drive your auto off a cliff,
or drink petrol,
or hold your breath and die.
Or you can use dangerous tools and materials intelligently and safely.

GUESS WHO nearly killed himself with a bubbling vat of potassium cyanide (copper flash plating solution).
ONE WHIFF, and oh...I back away from the pail just in time.

Cyanide, by the way, is not a persistent poison.
It self-eliminates from the body, if the body survives the exposure.
Not so with some of the heavy metals, such as mercury and radium, etc.
Lead exposure? Bad for children in particular, but in adults, lead poisoning eventually clears itself,
but by then, has done permanent organ damage, like as not.

GUESS WHO has had exposure, unintended, chronic, to lead carbonate?
ME, old piano key leads, gone white and powdery. It used to be called "sugar of lead"
because it is intensely sweet, that powder, impalpable, inhaled, and in the mouth.

THEY USED TO USE SUGAR OF LEAD TO MAKE CANDIES SWEET.
THEY USED TO USE A FORM OF ARSENIC TO MAKE GREEN PAINTS AND WALLPAPERS.
THEY USED TO USE WHITE LEAD/SUGAR OF LEAD/LEAD CARBONATE, as a white base for paints

which ladies slathered on their 17th century complexions, white skin, tinted with red for fake blush.

As Clara Rockmore was fond to say to me, Clara, in rare moods, Ted-the-Cat-ishly,

"A little powder, a little paint, makes a lady, what she ain't!"

Reid...you the man....turn syfy into reality...but please be carefull....PLEASE PLEASE DON'T TRY IT WITH A LOADED PISTOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back