Going into phase 3 with Kona Stink-E. Advice needed

Kris B Krunch

100 mW
It's time that I take the Kona Stink-E into phase 3 a little sooner than planned because it looks like either I pushed the controller a little too far. I really don't think it was the motor, but I can't be sure yet. I'll have to investigate a little more soon.

Anyways this is what I've got so far:
BMC V2T in 26" rim
Crystalyte 36v-72v 25Amp controller
16s3p lipo setup with icecube wiring harness. 12 bricks turnigy hardcase 5AH 20C
Cycle Analyst 2.3
Pelican 1300 case up front for batteries Oatnet style
Dr. Bass torque plate

So, I'm thinking I've got a few options I'm leaning towards. I'd like to keep my motor unless that's just asking for trouble. Let me know what you guys think

Option 1. Infinion 12 fet controller at 40 amps and oil cool the bmc. That would put my peak power output to about 2400 watts

Option 2. Infinion 18 fet controller at 60 amps and oil cool the bmc. Maybe limit the amps a little with the cycle analyst? peak power around 3600 watts. Or is this just way too much even for oil cooling?

Option 3. Infinion 18 fet controller 60 amps and get a DD motor laced into a 24" rim (I already have one, I've thought about going with slightly smaller rear because my XL frame I find just a little to tall even though I'm 6'1") I've been looking a little bit into crystallite 3500 series, or possibly spend a little more for h40 series.

What do you guys think? Are my 20 C batteries even capable of being used at the 40-60 amps range? And the reason I'd like more power is not for more speed on the flats, I'd like more power on the hills, as I live in a very hilly area.

Thanks

Here is a couple pictures of my bike, yes I do plan on cleaning up and hiding the wiring.
9900_10153180715135532_716243620_n.jpg

And yes, I do use is as a grocery hauler and practicing for the when the wife gives birth to our first born in a few months :)
9900_10153180715140532_2144886548_n.jpg

And here is the wheel I bought used recently that if I go DD I plan to you use. The tire that came with it looks pretty good and looks like a nice strong beefy rim.
IMG_20130903_084505.jpg

and here it is next to my original 26" for comparison.
IMG_20130903_084601.jpg

If I can sqeeze a little more power into my bmc in the 26" for now, and add oil cooling I think I'd like to do that. But I'm thinking by next summer for sure I'd probably like to get a more powerfull dd motor for more power for the hills, and with regen to save my brakes a little wear and tear.
But if around 1600 watts, oil cooled or not is about the limit for a bmc/mac motor, maybe I should just make the upgrade now.
Let me know what you think

ps, after these batteries are worn out, I'll probably be looking to step up the power a bit as well. So a controller upgrade will be put to better use in the future too.

That SunRingle MTX Doubletrack is about as beefy of a rim as they come. That should work really well.

I think your motor is about at it's limit. A 40A controller at 16S is going to be pushing 2400 watts. That should nicely turn your BMC into a melted puddle on a steep hill.

Unfortunately, if you want to keep the same climbing power from a direct drive, you would have to do some serious upgrades. I think A GNG drive, or some other chain drive would be a better solution.

Hey Drunkskunk thanks for the reply.
So you don't think my BMC would survive very long if I oil cool it and install a temp gauge? I do peddle all the time when I'm riding And most of the hills around here I'm usually up them and of the throttle in less than 10 mins.

Or you don't think a DD in a 24" with an 18 fet infineon at 60 amps would have more hill climbing power than what I currently have? Or is it that you think my 20c 16s3p lipo setup would be able to handle that kind of power? I'm not sure how to find out the max out put of the batteries.

Thanks!

Back