Shumaker Drive Unit - Yuba Mundo

flyinut

10 mW
Here is a (very) short video of my electrified Yuba Mundo. I'm using Matt's single-stage drive unit with a 10 turn 3210. Magura 5k throttle purchased from johnrobholmes wired to the RC Throttelizer from evlogix. I'm currently running 33.3v 8Ah - a mixture of 11.1v 4000mAh and 22.2v 4000mAh LiPos. Tires are 26 x 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers.

Current setup: Astro 3210 - 15t freewheel (AC Racing) - 48t chainring (Sick Bike Parts) - Front Freewheel (White Industries thru Sick Bike Parts) - 24t chainring (Sick Bike Parts) - Shimano 14-34 "Megarange" 6-speed Freewheel

[youtube]9vCH_DBgH20[/youtube]

More photos will be added once finals exams are complete.

Mark W. Dickey
KHYS/KU42

Very nice,
Looks like a perfect "around town" set up. thanks for posting

I wish the video was longer and showed us more about the motor install. I'm thinking very seriously of converting a Mundo and would be interested to know why you chose these components? More details, please ! :)

Hi,

hillbilly said:
I wish the video was longer and showed us more about the motor install. I'm thinking very seriously of converting a Mundo and would be interested to know why you chose these components? More details, please ! :)

Still photo's (jpg's) would be nice.

A few stills. Very basic compared to most builds on this site.

P1000279.jpg

P1000280.jpg

P1000281.jpg

P1000282.jpg

P1000283.jpg

P1000284.jpg

P1000285.jpg

P1000286.jpg

P1000287.jpg

P1000288.jpg

>OUT<

Looks good Mark. :)

Glad to see everything is running well.

You have a very early V2 drive there. The small CF plates under the motor mount screws make the belt tension adjustments alot smoother.

That drive was modded by me on the manual mill. Production V2 drives are slated to be run next week.

Matt

Matt,
Excellent job as always! When I receive the new batteries from Hobby King I will up the voltage to 44.4v. Still many small things to play with, at least until the 3220 show up at my door!

1208092.jpg

1208091.jpg

No studded tires yet, so I had to park it today. Currently -9C outside (16F) with winds up to 25kts. Tonight should be fun, -30C with winds up to 50kts. Time to go skiing...! :mrgreen:

Hi Mark,

It looks like you built your own clamps for mounting Matt's drive?

If so a few more details, including how well they resist rotation, would be nice when you get a chance.

Mitch,
Negative on the clamps - they are Matt's. They work excellent. Zero rotation, and of course a perfect match for the drive unit.

Mark

Nonsense Mark!! Your build is top notch with all the best components. I think these rc drives are still considered "experimental" so it's always nice to have an example to look at and hopefully you will keep us updated. :D

It looks like the HV110 controller, is that right? How does it feel on acceleration? And could you get some performance numbers when you get a chance?

Now your job is to grab as many tasty coeds as you can find, drive them around campus and of course videotape the whole thing for posterity of course, and science!! :mrgreen: :wink:

There is so much to like about this build, Mark! What else might you like to change? perhaps a front disc brake and a suspended seat post for bumps?

etard - Yeppers, I'm running a HV-110 - and I love it. :D Decent acceleration for the voltage I'm currently running (33.3v). It will be a bit more impressive after I install (haven't ordered yet) some hobbycity.com batteries that will take me up to 44.4v (50.4v). As far as performance numbers, can't do that right now - 13" of snow outside, along with 25kt wind. Wind chill is -17F. I currently don't have any instrumentation on the bike, but when the weather clears I'll have the college cops check the speed. Co-eds: Thinking like that will fry the brain (and more, I'm sure) :oops: of a non-traditional (40+ years) like me...

spinningmagnets - Many things to change but no time to do them! Along with final exams, I'm working on a couple of airplanes and trying to stay somewhat employed. A front disc brake, as well as a suspended seat post are in the future, as well as hidden (blue) LEDs and the :shock: 3220 (wye/delta)...

Mark

I Want one too !
That set up is too sweet!

Just one question: how low is the gear ration for pedaling only?

KAI

KAI,
The bike is not really setup for a good ratio to pedal the bike at any speed above a few mph. The 3210 likes the 34t and I like (to pedal) the 14t. It's nice to change gears when under electric power - really smooth...

Mark

Back