Problems with BH Neo Cross 2012 rear wheel & motor cord...!

mtlbiker

10 µW
Hi,
I have been having problems with BH Neo Cross 2012 spokes due they have a tendency to broke all the time. I have replaced over 30 spokes before I was fed up totally. I bougth fine Park Tool bicycle repair tools ... TS2.2 Truing Stand + TM-1 Tension Meter & studied truing from many good Youtube videos. I managed to get my wheel true with recommended tension for spokes. Apparently original spokes were bad quality or they have been stressed out.

In september 2014 I ordered thicker 2,62 mm spokes & 5 mm nipples from Finnish spoke manufacturer Symotic Corp. to be replaced originals 2,32 mm spokes. Replacing the spokes with rim holes enlargement for the nipples went OK, but accidentally the wheel fell down on the connection cord side causing broken wires on the cord & damaged connector before I managed to true it.

I contacted BH thru Technical support page to get some technical help (http://www.bhbikes.com/web/en/support/technical-support.html), but BH didn't want to answer any of my questions ... they just instructed me to contact some of 3 Finnish retailer/importer. I studied ServicioTecnicoBH's Youtube video,|NEO eBikes| Rear Wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1ffggQHZA where it was very easy job to open the motor. In my bad luck the video wasn't good quality and ended just before I was seeing inside of the motor! I manufactured The tool as seen from pics. but I couldn't get the motor open like I was seen on ServicioTecnicoBH's video. I found good quality pics about some e-bike motor maintenance job: http://repair.electricbike.com/?p=45, but there are bolts keeping the motor and case together versus mine which case is screw threaded.

04th feb 2015 I finally contacted one of the suggested Finnish retailer/importer, Sim Sport. At first they were in good mood & I felt I'm getting good customer support. Sim Sport was offering totally new motor at price 540 Eur inc. tax according to info from BH as I was just requested maintenance info/instructions.

10th march 2015 I visited Sim Sport stand/section in outdoor Expo & discussed my bike problems with BH's commercial representative mr.X who seems to know this my case well and Sim Sport representative. BH's rep stated that this case of mine isn't warranty case ( as it actually kind of really is). BH's rep promised me spare parts ... motor, rear wheel and even new bike in "Very Very GOOD price" & SIM Sport's rep added his good price to me also due he's originally from my home town Hyvinkää (went same school as me). BUT time has passed already 5 weeks with out any info from retailer/importer nor BH. I have asked info 3 times by email. It seems that BH wouldn't keep their promises nor reply retailer/importer Sim Sport.

What can I do, I just want to on the saddle again & burn lots of mileage? Does anybody have knowledge about opening BH Neo Cross 2012 motor and fixing the cord...?

Pics about the problem: http://1drv.ms/1JmGgyU.

Could you upload a close pic about the screws the motor has?

Indeed you don't need to see inside the motor, you will find 8 wires, you can replace on the simply soldering spots you will see as they are soldered, and soldering a new ones, even you can use more thick wires for the 3 wires phases.

then you could use insulating grease or high temperature silicon on the soldered spots, never tape.

Hi,

I thank you from your reply. :D

I have tried to solder wires, but when 8 of 9 wires were cut and outer plastic cover too. The cut point was there just when the cable is coming out of the motor. The joints were difficult to do, even striping the wires for soldering was hard. I managed to resoldering wires and covered joints with heat shrink tubing but the joint was too fat so the nut couldn't pass it. :x

If you watched video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1ffggQHZA you could see how it is going to be opened. My motor's outlook has evolved since that old video, but I can see there is a clearly visible interface and it's the only place where BH was inserted the motor.

Now I understand, that motor need a special tool to be opened.. I'm sure there must be any way to fake the tool, but if there is not far easy, you are right, they should help you in any way.. I will try to research any kind of solution..

If you are sure that the motor opens with a screw thread around the inside edge you could try taking a drift and big hammer and wack at those notches in a counterclockwise direction. Make sure you mark the cover with matchmark so you can see the cover turn. I and others had to do something similar with Cute 100 and Xiongda 2 speed motors. They at least have screw holes to put a hardened Allen screw and washers. I hate this screw type cover, but they must save a few centavos in hardware. Good luck with your effort. Once you get the motor open the wiring is quite simple.
otherDoc

it's often difficult to get the unscrewing started. i normally have to apply a bit of heat to the hub to make it expand a bit, then the side-plate unscrews more easily. I use a hot air gun around the hub until it is just too hot to touch. It should unscrew anti-clockwise.

I've repaired a couple of similar motors that had cut wires. It isn't easy. You need a replacement motor wire that you can get from BMSBattery. If you're lucky, there might be just enough length to pull the wire through, which leaves the connector very close to the axle.

Your motor looks like a Bafang BPM2. Later, they switched to Dapu motors. You can replace it with any Bafang BPM or CST motor. Ideally, you want one with a speed sensor in the hub, but you can still get by with an external wheel-speed sensor that you can wire directly to the controller. These motors are not expensive, so it might be a better option to buy a new one. Have a look on German Ebay for one.

Hi,

I've already tried with hot & cold metod without success. Maybe there might be used somekind of threadlocker. I used my tool after hot & cold metod and I banged tool handle with hammer several times with force ... motor is still closed.

Some of the smaller motors have one or two tiny grub-screws in the flange to lock them. The screws are in the radial direction near the spoke flange.

:D I finally managed to open my motor with hot air blower and significant force by hammer. My manufactured tool was just perfect for opening. Now I just have to study how I will repair wires. :lol:

Back