Building a sporty EV. Need some help estimating performance.

Ok, so here's the story:

I bought the AC35x2 /w rear aux shaft second hand without the controllers, never used.
I was hoping to quickly rig my own two controllers on it:
1238-7601 (650A) & 1238-7501 (550A)

I then discovered that motor required a special wiring harness with opto-isolator to split the encoder signal to the two controllers.

I asked EV West about the harness, and they ended up informing me that it wouldn't work with the 2 different controllers. So, I was faced with buying a new 1238-7601 to match my other. I paid for it a while ago now, but Curtis has been behind on production. A dual controller harness is also being made for me.

I doubt many people have two of the 144v controllers lying around, or would be willing to trade, and I'd still be short the harness. (No idea how proprietary the encoder isolator is)

Any other surprises I have to look forward to? Was getting the two controllers working together as master/slave tricky?

kiwiev said:
Thats good bro do you need the whole harness with the controller plugs?

Cheers Kiwi

I don't believe so; they have that in order as of yesterday, and it's finally ready to ship. Shouldn't be too much longer until I get all the goodies in the mail. I think the only thing I'm missing is the main pack fuse and one more individual controller fuse. I'll be able to do motor testing off of my 103v 90AH LIPO pack on my Sandrail.

I believe I will have the AC-35x2 drivetrain in running order before I even get the damn 240z rolling chassis. :lol:

1resized.jpg

You can buy mine for AU$50,000 (Plus freight).
Its a runner.
But if you really want a rolling chassis you can have it for AU$55,000 (Plus Freight)

Look what came in the mail! :mrgreen:

XaI3Fnjl.jpg

Got a 1000A continuous Gigavac maintenance switch, automotive grade adjustable temp fan & pump switch, dual wiring harness with potted opto isolator, curtis connector covers for a nice look, water chill plates, and two 1238-7601 controllers are supposedly now set for primary/secondary duty on the AC35x2.

A nice ~140 hp / 260 tq setup to get me started. Still have to buy the fuses, but I think that's all I need to start testing on my crated motor.

Nice mate does your motor have the internal motor encoder? Just be careful now its out of warranty because high amps can kill it which in turn blows the controller just speeking from experience.

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:
Nice mate does your motor have the internal motor encoder? Just be careful now its out of warranty because high amps can kill it which in turn blows the controller just speeking from experience.

Cheers Kiwi

I honestly didn't open the box that far to check. Is there an easy way to differentiate between the two? I thought they were all kind of mounted near the back by the aux shaft.

I read about yours going and taking out a controller with it. I couldn't afford another controller at this point, so I'll just have to hope your situation was a fluke.

If both leads come out of motor near the front you have a internal encoder which is mag pulse sensor I don't know if I just got a dud sensor and the Magnetic fields killed it.

Cheers Kiwi

Back