in all a very nice package IMO considering not even a top level MTB costs more
than this! The frame here is the win for me though, batteries
in housed within makes them pretty much theft proof something alot here
worry about, you pay more than 2700 for not even top of the line
downhill MTB frame ...nice ride anywayz mate, so...when you
going to man it up mount an rc setup on it and fillz
the frames with copious amounts of lithium polymer ? :mrgreen:

KiM

The front forks are branded " Ultra Motor ", have not noticed any other brand or model name on them but they are nice, adjustable, thick and strong. Not the cheap pogo-sticks you get on bottom level wallyworld bikes..

Also notice the mud guards, stiff plastic, solidly attached and they cover the width of those massive 3" tires, the front one could be a bit longer in the back for added splash protection but would not look as good.. i'm satisfied with both front and rear for now, will need to go for a ride in the pouring rain to get a proper test out of them.

Attachments

• AB21-forks.JPG
    AB21-forks.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,855
The rear shock is ok, you can adjust pre-load but does not damped enough imo, too loose.. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good reservoir unit to replace it. Does the job, but like the pedals a bit more will go a long way in making this ride " My " ride !

edit : Just noticed the Ultra Motor branding on the cable jacket !. wow.. :)

Attachments

• AB22-rearshock.JPG
    AB22-rearshock.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,156
AussieJester said:
Meant to ask to..the batteries, are they in both the front down tube of the frame and the
rear section also? or just the front?

KiM

I don't know yet, but i plan to find out :twisted: .. i think the pack is only inside the downtube portion, but can't confirm it yet.

The cells are Sanyo aparently, manual says they are Lithium Manganese, BMS protected. Will be poking in there tonight more than likely ! :wink:

Ypedal said:
AussieJester said:
Meant to ask to..the batteries, are they in both the front down tube of the frame and the
rear section also? or just the front?

KiM

I don't know yet, but i plan to find out :twisted: .. i think the pack is only inside the downtube portion, but can't confirm it yet.

The cells are Sanyo aparently, manual says they are Lithium Manganese, BMS protected. Will be poking in there tonight more than likely ! :wink:

oooh if only in the front part and that rear is also accessible and empty i'm thinking LIPO BOOSTER PACK for
when YPedal MaN needs a burst of speeeeedz :twisted: hehehe

KiM

Since the controller is inside the motor, the power leads go from the battery directly into the motor, making it a piece of cake to add a Cycle Analyst ! I need a CA on my bike.. got one on every bike i own ( at the present moment, that's 6 of them )

Trailer connectors, ugh, those will have to go.. powerpoles will replace those when i install the CA meter !

Attachments

• AB23-cables.JPG
    AB23-cables.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 3,151
The Seat, considering this is a 500w legal power E-bike, the pedals need to be used, this seat is not made for pedaling, it does look ok and is nice and comfy to sit on, but it's too wide at the crotch to allow proper pedaling action.. I will be replacing that as well. I think the bike should come standard with a different seat imo.

Maybe with some adjusting, along with handlebar position adjustments it can work, but i'll iron that out in time and update the review about it.

Attachments

• AB23-seat.JPG
    AB23-seat.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,150
Now THIS is a rear rack !!.. one butch unit.. no worries about bending this rack.

Key at the back to lock in the B battery. ++ on preventing theft. The 2nd battery was 700$ more, i did not opt for it, i have a collection of packs already that i can use, and i plan to mount a 48v pack back there !

OK...so its light outside we have the stills you know what needs tobe done now LOCK UP THE DOG and take it for a spins
we want VIDEOOOOOO YPedal MaN!!!111

KiM

p.s i still cant get over them tires man they is nuts!

The key switch..

A - Off - B

The bike goes from one battery to the other, instead of using them in parallel, pros and cons to this type of setup, more pros than cons so i agree with how they did it.

This will work to my advantage if the controller allows a 48v pack ( crossing my fingers there is no high voltage limit on the controller ) so i can go from A-36v to B-48v :twisted:

The position of the key switch is not ideal, when you step into the bike the key is right where your foot will be and i fear A meets B and crunch.. need to be very carefull with that.

AussieJester said:
OK...so its light outside we have the stills you know what needs tobe done now LOCK UP THE DOG and take it for a spins
we want VIDEOOOOOO YPedal MaN!!!111

KiM

Hehe... :p i'm at that point right now..

1st Ride Report. ( I was going to strap on the video camera for the mayden voyage, but just could not wait any longer... i just had to Go Now !.... ) Supposed to be nice tomorrow too, so will have a drag race against the eZee and EBK bikes on video tomorrow if possible.

Ok.. so i took it for a short ride ! ( as you can see in the background, it's still very much winter out here, plenty of snow and the roads are soaked and salt covered.. spring is in the air but not quite here yet )

It may have 20" wheels but it's a full size bike ! I'm 5ft 8" tall and 185 lbs, it fits me just right.. handlebars up high make for an upright seating position and quite comfortable.

The motor is Instant Start, no need to pedal at all if you don't want to. Power comes on smooth and the motor runs nice and quiet as hub motors do, this is a Direct Drive ( not a geared motor ).

Acceleration is on par with most of the 500w setups i've tested ( and i've tested ALOT of them ) but the weight of the bike is a factor. Just now i went and checked the tire pressure and i only have 20psi in the rear and 30psi in the front, i need to pump these up to 40psi and see how much of a difference it makes.. i know for a fact that it does make a significant difference..

This bike is a blast to ride !!!

It will climb my street from a dead stop without any problems and get up to speed without any pedal input, not very steep mind you but still an incline..

The suspension and big fat tires soak up the craks and pot holes like a champ. No squeaks, no creaks, nothing is falling off this bike ( unlike some of the cheap chinese " ebikes " aka electric scooter type bikes i've tested ) there is no flex in the frame, she's rock solid as expected.

The brakes... oh .. my ... god..... can't say enough about the brakes on this machine.. a panic stop on this bike is no problem. I locked up the rear brake with ease even at a good clip and all that rubber at 20psi !

It's an attention magnet, nice +5 celcius today so people are out walking their dogs and litterally stop walking and stare as you ride by !

Ultra Motor refers to the bike as a Light Electric Vehicle, and that' spretty much spot on.

It's too heavy to be a bicycle, and it's certainly not a scooter and does not look like one either. it's a very nicely blended machine and i'm completely happy with it for what it is !

Next step is to install a cycle Analyst because i really need to know exactly how much power this motor is using. I'm guesstimating a 20 amp limit, but want to quantify this.

ok.. where is my screwdriver... time to look under the hood !

I love it ! Do you know what hub motor it is ? Is it A2B designed? I have been drawn to this machine since the first also. I love the slightly crankforward , clean design. Loving the hidden wires. great writeup YPedal. Like you said , a resevoir :?: shock and pedals and 48 V. What speed is it stock? I wish I :oops: weren't broke

Great to hear it rides well...seems like a complete package for those that have the
money up front to lay down the $US2700 asking price, which by todays standards
for what it is seems very fair price IMO. Your getting a frame that isn't going to fail
in a hurry like (as you elude to) the cheap Chinese offerings, If the power
isn't enough you still have a impressive frame to base a high power build on (OH..are the frames only available i wonder?)
alot safer than what alot here are doing with the wallmart bikes a pile of cells
duct taped to them powered by 9c or X5 frock motors! look like accidents waiting to happen
some of them haha..

Nice review YPedal MaN look forward to some video and some side by
side comparisons with your other bikes too...

KiM

torker said:

I love it ! Do you know what hub motor it is ? Is it A2B designed? I have been drawn to this machine since the first also. I love the slightly crankforward , clean design. Loving the hidden wires. great writeup YPedal. Like you said , a resevoir :?: shock and pedals and 48 V. What speed is it stock? I wish I :oops: weren't broke

As per the UM rep, Ultra Motor now makes the motors for BionX, so similar build and setup, the Metro-Hybrid has pedal crank sensors to adjust power output just like the BionX kit. Mine is the regular Metro, throttle only power.

About the reservoir shock.. ( quick google search result example )
http://www.shockabsorbersworld.com/shocks-reservoirs.html

Top speed on this bike is 20mph ( 32 km/h ), i will bring along my GPS to test that tomorrow but from seat of the pants ride today i'm sure it's right about there.. possibly slightly more on a fresh charge..

The motors are Press fit, to open them up you need to remove the spokes, and they come apart in 2 pieces, not easily modified to say the least, and you need a press to put them back together .. very carefully.. but i'm no quitter !! :twisted: I need to PM itselectric as i know he has alot of experience with BionX kits, for now a 48v B pack would be just about right to increase the fun factor a notch or 2 !

and KiM, exactly right, this bike is a well equipped rig, easily upgradable and repairable using standard bicycle parts readily available everywhere. it's a quality bike, and a price tag to match.

I don't know exactly how much money i've tied up on my RC bike, but it's substantial, well over 2500$, and it's not done yet. My chopper is another example of a 40$ frame with 2000$+ added to it ( not counting the time i've spent building it ). Both these bikes are powerfull monsters and not legal to sell by any strech of the imagination.

The A2B is legal and compliant with most laws and countries, you can only do so much with 500w. Flip side of high-powered bikes is the battery gauge shows empty real fast if you play hard ( my RC bike can chew thru a 10ah charge in 10 minutes ! :shock: )

I admit that i have wondered if the frames could be had bare bones.... would make a perfect platform for a 100v X5 setup. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .. i doubt they would entertain such a thing.. but i will have to ask.

AussieJester said:
Great to hear it rides well...seems like a complete package for those that have the
money up front to lay down the $US2700 asking price, which by todays standards
for what it is seems very fair price IMO. Your getting a frame that isn't going to fail
in a hurry like (as you elude to) the cheap Chinese offerings, If the power
isn't enough you still have a impressive frame to base a high power build on (OH..are the frames only available i wonder?)
alot safer than what alot here are doing with the wallmart bikes a pile of cells
duct taped to them powered by 9c or X5 frock motors! look like accidents waiting to happen
some of them haha..

Nice review YPedal MaN look forward to some video and some side by
side comparisons with your other bikes too...

KiM
2700 for a demo model.

It's great to see you can try these A2B bikes Ypedal!

Let us know when you will decide to put an X5 on them!! :twisted: :twisted:

About the BionX, I have 2 motor i dissassembled for repaireing them ( ine is now 100% working and mofified.. ( i doubled the mosfet on the controller)

They are easy to dissassemble if you take the right tools. The pressfit is very thight but if you have patience you will suceed to open the motor without damaging it. The magnet inside are sensitive to high impact vibration. ( I completly reglued all these 22 magnets on both of mine using the 3M Scotchweld DP460 epoxy made for magnet. THEY CANT MOVE NOW!! :twisted: IMPOSSIBLE !

Please let us know aBout the wiring quality !.. I saw many ebikes coming with 18 or 16 gauges.. for 15-20A ( 500W at 37V) .. that is rediculous considering the big nomber of contact loss in teh key switch, cheap connectors and wire lenght!!

The BionX motor have 14gauges for the battery connectors in the motor... and cheap trailer plug :?

Doc

Back