19" or 20" STRONG rim for 5403 ? suggestion?

Doctorbass

100 GW
I might need help for finding great rim , spokes and tire solution for my new 5403 motor.

Does a bicycle 24x3.0 Hookworm tire fit to a 20x 1.85 inch Excel rim ? I like that maxxis tire alot and want to keep similar wheel dimensions or i could accept a little wider than 3.0.

I am trying to figure out wich solution i'll install for my 5403 motor... ( 33 pounds)

I want to keep the dimension to be close my 24" x 3.0 Maxxis Hookworm ( about 25.5inch diameter total)

I want a STRONG "lightweight" rim that can take motorcycle spokes 10 or 11 gauge and a tire as great as the maxxis wookwork and get about

I saw that you can offer this service on your website. and i thought that a 19 or 20 inch... or 21 inch x 1.60 or 1.85 might be the solution.

I found some 35$ rim on ebay but i wonder if the Exxcel at 100$+ really worth ? Are they stronger? lighter?

Also, is it difficult to find some 20" motorcycle /moped tire that are close to slick like the hookworm? and that are 3.0" or less ?

Doc

Doc... with a motor like yours I would use an even smaller rim, like 14" or 16" max 1.60 wide and 10g spokes.
You ll end up with something around 21" or 23" dependending on the rim size, a little less top speed but that you can fix that with a 3s-4s more.
But if you must use a bigger rim a MX alloy rim should super stronger, but im afraid you l have to use 8g spokes.

Hi Doc,

Exxel rim was used on my Yamaha WR450 those rims are light and strong for sure with the adequate spoke of course :wink:

Good day my friend
Black Arrow

kriskros said:
John holmes has some moped rims that might work :mrgreen:

I already contacted him Thanks, but i want many opinions :wink:

Doc

The most popular rims are the 17 and 19" i think.

According to my calculations, to get the 25.5 inch diameter total ( like my maxxis Hookworm 24 x 3.00 is) with a 19 inch rim i would need a 19" x 3.25" tire wich seem to be a bit big.. and now with a 20 inch rim ( seem rare to find) i would need a 2.75" moped tire wich seem more interesting but i think that Motorcycle tire tend to be bigger than the bicycle tire for the same specified size right?

so for 3.0" wide bicycle tire, a 2.5 or 2.75" motorcycle tire would be the same?

Doc

Where have you found 3" hookworms ?

Anyway, the closest would be a 19" trial rim, but I don't see it fitting a 24" bicycle tire.

if you want something upmarket at 19'':

http://www.smprowheels.co.uk/rims/wheels-rim-plat-19.html

SM Pro Platinum Rims are made from 7050 Series Aluminium, independent tests have shown the SM Pro Platinum rim to be both stronger and lighter than the Excel A60 and Takasago rims, making them probably the strongest and lightest rim on the market.

I think they weigh around 1.3kg... Not sure about spoke size

economic option 1.6 / 16'' aluminium
http://www.sklepmotonet.pl/p/pl/sn5205/simson+s51+-+obrecz+kola+aluminiowa+1-6-16+cali.html

cheapo option 16'' 1.4 steel
http://www.sklepmotonet.pl/p/pl/ro6203/romet+-+obrecz+kola+16+cali+kadet.html

Doc,

Hum ... try a 2.75 motorcycle tire with 18 rims motorcycle you will be very closed to your 24" rim with 2.5 Hookworms tire you use last summer, I think. Since my 17" motorcycle rim is a bit smaller then my 24" rim with 2.3" bicycle tire but the difference is quite low.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Moto tires have so much variety in profile and width that you may be better off choosing a tire first, since you're looking for a specific OD wheel. eg I have 17" wheels that are smaller than one 18" I have. My 16" Pirelli copy is only 1/2" large in OD than 2 of the tires I have on 14" rims.

John in CR said:
Moto tires have so much variety in profile and width that you may be better off choosing a tire first, since you're looking for a specific OD wheel. eg I have 17" wheels that are smaller than one 18" I have. My 16" Pirelli copy is only 1/2" large in OD than 2 of the tires I have on 14" rims.

as i will most probably be ordering online, id rather go for moto rim and moto tyre.. there is great choice of fast slick road tyres especially for 17'' rims but harder to find any for 18''. But not impossible..

Heidenau 3.00-18 47S TT K 65 M/C or Pirelli City Demon 18''x3,0 might be good option for all rounders

OK so.. i think i will forget about finding a 19-20 inch motorcycle and will look for a 18 or 17inchs.

but to compensate for the lower speed due to the lower diameter wheel, i will work on my Burtie Timing adjustement tool and will tune the motor timing with different maps to get more rpm per volt :mrgreen:

Doc

aluminium or steel rim for that 15kg 10kW+ beast?

Attachments

• steel frame.jpg
    steel frame.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,005
some quality japanese aluminium rims in 18 /19 /21 inch...

http://www.didchain.com/LXSXDirtstar.html

re spoke hole diameter, i asked Kenny about it but he said ALL motors should have the same diameter...

Back