1MW of EV hype

Lock

100 MW
Pretty funny stuff... I like the part in the press release where they say "... governments will be approached in the near future to join the project."

Micro Finance Investment AG site here:
http://www.microfinance-switzerland.com/index.php

Super slick Nation-E site here:
http://www.nation-e.com/

Interesting that they fit "nano" and Kokam in the same sentence...
tks
loKc

[EVDL] A few Comments WAS : [BMBB] Breakthrough 1 MW Battery Promised by Mystery ManufacturerSunday, September 13, 2009 9:59 AM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
HI EVerybody;

Thought I'd forward Remy's Post about Badd-eries, enjoy! Yur gunna get MY comments, too, so there!
----- Original Message -----
To: ETList ; BMBB List
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:39 PM
Subject: [BMBB] Breakthrough 1 MW Battery Promised by Mystery Manufacturer

Breakthrough 1 MW Battery Promised by Mystery Manufacturer
by Christine Lepisto, Berlin on 09. 9.09
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/09/breakthrough-1-mw-battery-mystery..php
Guess What the First Application Will Be
Prepare to be played. The Swiss Micro Finance firm, Micro Finance Investment AG, knows how to use new media. The are now feeding out tiny tidbits of bait to generate a whirlwind of interest in what promises to be a fantastic breakthrough in battery technology. A few days ago, the company hinted that they are the money behind an unnamed firm or consortium that will be taking their breakthrough 1 MW battery on tour starting mid-2010. Hot on the heels of that teaser comes the press release on the first joint venture contract for use of the new battery technology. You will never guess what indispensable need will be filled by this technological advance.

Teasers? Like those endlees "miricle Battery" JUST about to appear, in Pop. Science, and Mecanics Magazines, etc, though the years. Remember I'm an old fart and been following this stuff for, oh, about 45-50 years?

Oh I cam imagine! Have been for YEARS, EVerything from Ferry Boats to Aero-planes!Hey! Trolley cars, an' trains with NO expen$ive overhead wires! Or cables underneith like SF CAL.!

1 MW Battery Breakthrough Mystery
So should we take this seriously or not? In addition to a 1 MW battery breakthrough, Micro Finance is promising to double battery life, and to offer a battery pack management system capable of storing and distributing up to 100 MW of power. If true, this would revolutionize solar and wind power applications, where the storage of power generated only when the wind blows or the sun shines is a serious issue in delivering a steady-state energy supply. From the press release:

I'm STILL waiting for Bob Aronson's Tri_polars batteries, but I'll just go down to Chelsea Piers to wait for the Titanic, or the Lusitania? 35 years and counting, sigh!

These large scale batteries developed in partnership with world renowned companies attain a competitive advantage both commercially and technologically, by achieving a higher power and energy density, as well as improved performance under cold temperatures. The employment of Nano technology further enhances the cycle life doubling the current cycle life of available Lithium batteries.
BusinessGreen quotes the chief financial officer of Micro Finance, Andreas Stamatiou:

Hope this guyz onto something? Chemical Mumbo-Jumbo? I'm still in the "Show Me" state, but in CT, as the Misouri Tags STILL say?

A battery of this scale is perfectly suited for renewable energy such as wind farms and the proposed Destertec project to build solar farms in North Africa."
Joint Venture will Electrify the Oceans
So can you guess which developing nation or carbon-spewing industrial economy will benefit first from the promise of this new technology? Need a hint? The first joint venture partner is Leopard Yachts. Yes, coming soon to a corporate day charter near you: the peak of human energy management talent. Along with that plum, Micro Finance Investment AG gives away the "secret identity" of their subsidiary firm: "After excessive interest from industry and the media, Micro Finance Investment AG reveals today its battery company Nation-E." (Can interest in a finance project be "excessive"?)

Electrify the Oceans? You laugh? but currents flow right along, and underwater turbimes can catch that? And not louse up the Kennedy's Ocean views at Hyannis,as they made THAT issue with wind turbines in the AIR! Ha Ha MAYBE we could zap the jellyfish plague, due to global warming<g>?

1 MW Battery Already in Production
But how not to take this seriously? A few battery manufacturers have hinted at such capacities in the pipeline. Nation-E is making tour dates to show off the real thing, albeit in limited edition. An estimated 18 months would be required to move the batteries into full production, assuming the introduction meets with wide appeal.

And 1600 Test Pilots are here, the EVDL, on demand! Boy! WE can test those wonder cells, for sure!

Will the mystery manufacturer be a battery company we already know and follow? Perhaps the super-secretive EEStor? Or is there a new force at work? Can Micro Finance deliver on the excitement being generated? We wait with baited breath.

I've been saying THAT for years, with all the OTHER wonders technology has wought, ( I could have EVERY 78 rpm record EVER made, in an I- pod!) a decent battery MUST be in the pipeline?

"EV's issues aren't technical, but Political" as I stated on Ch.8 WTNH last summer; 6 o'clock snews, and PLAYED ONCE on CT's airwaves! Ah!? Ya mean ya MISSED me, sigh?

Seeya

Bob, STILL using crappy Led Acids!

__Funny I've been saying THAT for years? Hope these guyz are on to SOMETHING? JJ._,_.___

So much enjoying your post. We are of an age that saw it all. You have more tech-hand-on experience
with....(get ready)...."vaporware" of the past! You recall "MAKES ANY OLD BATTERY RENEW AND CRANK BETTER THAN
YOUR DADDY'S..."

Suspicious buyer looks at this ad in Pimpular Mechanics (forgive me!) "The new Artic Free-xone battery is guaranteed for the LIFE
of your '48 Plymouth Fluid Drive". That's some going, considering it's an ad (fake, I fake all this stuff) from 1961!

MIRACLE RIDE is a tube of pulverized duck down from the Downed Duck Pillow Corporation.
This material is easily installed in your auto tires by your local mechanic.
NO MORE FLATS, or if you do get a flat, you just say to you wife as the car
slithers left and right, sort of like a Slime effect, say to your wife,

"Isn't life grand. OUR TIRES are downy-filled. What a ride! Ahhhhhhhhhhh (blissful face of Driver)."
Then he sneezes, as the duck down phssssssts out of the valve stems (they don't hold back powdered duck feathers)
and Mr. Driver is allergic to duck down, so he finds out. AHHHHHHHH-CHOOOO.
"Horsefeathers!"

Now we have your report of the NEW miracle Megawhat Battery!

I love it!

Thank you for a well written report. Add more Spam next installment?
Am so tired of the Free Education thread...I mean, free health care thread...
I mean, IF we all read old mags and books from the past, even twenty year olds
would NEVER fall for the latest thing: "Why, I had that in 1898!" says the youth of today
if he or she has "been around".

Every new generation of humans is like....newly formed electricity: zinc chloride penlight cells,
the most of us! Only we, as kids, don't know that (drum roll), LITHIUM is not just for manic depressives anymore.

Thanks again...OWTAGOSIAM

(get it, kiddos?)

OWATGOOSIAM
(say it fife times fast)

Bob, STILL using crappy Led Acids!
You know, even in my time (am only 55) I recall
when it was the economical and smart thing, to go buy a REBUILT lead acid cranking battery.

And of course, in the mid twenties and before, every town had a battery shop.
There, they would service (rebuild) national brands like Exide,
or even make,nearly from scratch, lead acid cells, pasted plates and all.

In the twenties, when you got your car checked out, the GOOD shops had load testers
for checking each of the three cells. Bad cell? Rebuild its guts.

"Sure, Mrs. Smith! It'll be $2.50 and it will be done
before you walk back from seeing that new movie around the corner."

Rubber cases with tops sealed on with tar...all renewable, until the hard rubber cases eventually might leak or crack.

Batteries! I love batteries. I hate throw away alkies, though, don't you?
At least lithium cells of the throw away type seem unlikely to ever leak
and ruin your new MEGAWHAT powered sportster, folks!

Factoid: when we were kids, unused flashlights and other things
DID NOT DIE from leaking batteries, but rarely, if ever!
The old zinc chloride cells were not so hot, but they almost never leaked.

WHEN we buy a new gizmo today, such as a remote control for the TV,
what comes standard with the device? Duracells? Not often.
Most often the new, cheap LED light comes with three AAA zinc chloride cells,
not alkaline cells. WHY? BECAUSE, as we older hands know:
the initial voltage of zinc chloride/carbon cells is on the order of 1.5V instead of 1.2:
makes the new light seem ever so much brighter, for the first half hour of use, anyway.

I would like a car powered by rechargable zinc chloride cells (they used to "recharge" 'em).

Tip from 1908: IS your giant 1.5V cylindrical telephone battery nearly exhausted?
Then do this: puncture its casing with a number of small pinholes (it's a casing of zinc).
SOAK the cell in a bowl of water. Capillarity draws water overnight into the zinc chloride paste,
which has dried out to a great extent. The newly wetted mass is not a town in the Northeast (jk),
but the cell gives current again for a long-ish while, if you are lucky.

Factoid: Have a name brand "C" radio battery. It is from the early radio days.
4.5V zinc chloride cell. "USE BEFORE JULY 1928" (really!).
Apply high-resistance mulimeter prods. Read: 4.5VDC. Ah, but the rub:
the medium is dried out inside; the internal resistance of the cell is on the order of megohms.

-----
Need investors. We will make a rechargeable, exploding battery consortium!
I mean, the consortium will explode, inside of one year! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your posting put me into this silly laughing jag. You're so cool. Thank you.
Let me know when we can start selling Artic Zone cranking batteries to the sub-zero-experience crowd?

:wink:

Back