3 Ryobi 40v in series/parallel for a winter drift trike?

KULUKIN69

10 µW
i have 6 Ryobi 40v/5ah batteries for all my yard tools that dont get used very much if at all.
i also want to build a Furze style e-drift trike for rampaging the neighborhood.
i have 4 Terrafirms connectors i just dont know what the best way to wire them is.
it's been years since the last post, so,

What's the updated info on running these in series or parallel for use in an ebike etc.
has anyone tried running multi battery setups and if not why not?
also i recently bought the dual battery powered snow blower, id love to tear down learn connections and use for parts.
these seem ideal for diy ebike construction. why arent they?

any suggestions on how to utilize these 40v in a swappable setup?

for a 40v system its 40v 30ah 1200wh which is plenty of battery but a pain in the ass to hook back together once its unplugged and charged, unless you charge the pack as a complete unit which you cant do because its ryobi and you need to use their chargers

calab said:
for a 40v system its 40v 30ah 1200wh which is plenty of battery but a pain in the ass to hook back together once its unplugged and charged, unless you charge the pack as a complete unit which you cant do because its ryobi and you need to use their chargers
i have 4 terrafirma connectors to click in and go, whats the pain in the ass part of hooking together?

i work less than a mile from my house so it doesnt have to go very far. i have so much Ryobi i just want a way to utilize them in something besides yardwork.

Each battery has its own bms, it controls and communicates with the charger since its a consumer grade tool pack battery. You need the batteries to be very close to the same voltage when you connect them in parallel. You can do it once, connect all batteries in parallel but its a matter of can you hook up a generic charger to bulk charge, since the batteries have communicating bms that will probably brick themselves if one cell becomes unbalanced which some tool pack batteries do. Now you could just charge to the max each battery which will be good because all the voltages will be the same and you just connect in parallel, but you dont want to leave the battery fully charged like that for to long.

thanks for the battery maintenance advice, i have 4 ryobi chargers in my battery station,

on the trike, can i wire the battery connections in series to increase the voltage?
or will the bms get in the way?
is there any type of volt/amp converter/adjuster?

who makes a good motor and controller to use?
i hear you can adjust the controller to your motor batteryy specs, thats what i need to find.

Back