AT&T Adds Unauthorized 'Services' to my Phone/DSL

Dauntless

100 TW
Oh you're gonna love this one. To cut the long complicated tale short, when I got home tonight AT&T put a page on my screen to call this number 24 hours a day/7 days a week to deal with the problem, but I'm told they're closed, as well as my account has been suspended. I went to the AT&T store who confirmed that I'm paid ahead, as I do to prevent such problems, but its turned over to collections anyway.

It seems they made an unauthorized upgrade to add their uverse service that I never ordered and I haven't been paying for it. The guy at the store was getting a little annoyed with people on the phone who told him its called "Special Transition."

Weeks ago they told me it didn't work because my 6 year old modem was no longer supported but I should just get uverse anyway. I bought the model of new DSL modem they said to get but when it didn't work they figured out it wasn't supported after all and I should just pay all this to get uverse. But I figured out how to make it work.

So from a previous matter that was unauthorized I already know the state department to complain to is on the bill, I'll have that done before I call tomorrow so that I can suggest they have it fixed BEFORE the state of California comes down on them.

So the previous matter I had to file multiple reports, mainly because of this woman handling the matter flat lying. Several of her letters were dated 15 days before the postmark with a 'Respond by' date that has already past as well as a copy of the letter she's responding to that dated maybe 10 days after hers. Her respond by dates are not legal even if they're after the day she mailed the letter, the consumer does not have deadlines but the company does. I tried pointing out to her that I used to write training materials for TRW on this very sort of correspondence and can (And did) report everything she did that was illegal. So she threatened me. And days later I get a letter begging forgiveness because the State of California was not amused and had finally convinced her she was tying her own rope.

Even if they've fired her I'm sure this is normal for them and whomever I talk to will be just as brazen. The problem is were running out of companies to switch to here. My former PacBell sold to SBC who sold to AT&T. Verizon sold to Frontier who is a news story for how bad the service is. I'm not even sure who else I can get in Southern California.

So maybe I'm going to be typing with my thumbs from now on.

Yeah,, they loath you for not getting the triple bundle. What? you don't want 200 cable channels that are really 150 shopping or religion channels? What? you don't want to pay $100 for TV you can stream for $30?

So AT&T acquired Direct TV, to "Transition" movies and TV out of UVerse, which then becomes just a broadband provider that is claimed to be faster than their DSL. They are now talking phasing out the DSL altogether.

When I called today I didn't get much of an argument. There's probably a warning popping up when the guy checks my number, right? My DSL was back on in minutes. But I wonder how much longer it'll last.

Back