Bafang BBSHD Rotor...

I am messing with some design changes to the rotor on the bbshd, which has been a proven and solid design to begin with, but i am thinking with a few tweaks maybe we can increase the efficiency even more. My first idea is inspired by the tesla car motor rotor, with the star in the middle holding the maghetsand then having the outer between two opposing magnets be a seperate piece, and thinner laminated steel strip in the middle than on the outers, ultimately fastened together with fiber carbon string and epoxy wrap. I will experiment with differnt pottings of the rotor. and possibly some spiraling holes through the middle to promote airflow through the rotor better. I will post pictures and drawings, and if anyone has any other designs we can try them all out,

TEAMS :

together
everyone
achieves
more
success!

but thats my inspiration only modifying the rotor and see how much better or worse it ends up/.

we need a USA based motor manufacturer, IMHO...

Daniel SuprDan McGorry

the rotor on the bbshd, which has been a proven and solid design to begin with
Actually that not true. The first version BBSHD had a weak rotor shaft and had many failures.

actually looking at the lightning rods big block rotor, pretty similar to that except the metal laminates on the outer circumference of the rotor are seperated from the middle portion, resting on the magnets.. i will draw something up today. that is supposed to further reduce the eddy currents and possibly allow for more field weakening..... at least that was my hypothesis... i like to tinker, and im far from a expert of the science behind everything but i have a decent understanding on how and why other designs have worked better than the more commonplace ones....

this is the cross section of the tesla motor, now this design is patented and my intention isnt to blatently copy it, but this is probably the best picture that i found of the idea behind my experiment.

Attachments

• Tesla Model s Rotor.png
    Tesla Model s Rotor.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 2
Here's a stock rotor for reference:

BBSHD rotor.JPG

One downside of using carbon fiber or any other kind of wrap is it takes up space in the gap where you really want the gap to be as small as possible without rubbing. On the stock rotor design, the iron over the magnets will be shunting a little bit of the flux along the sides of the magnets, which is also undesirable.

Last edited:
Back