Best general purpose pavement tires ?????

Wolfeman said:
What are the best choices for general purpose pavement/very occasional gravel tires? From my browsing it looks like most people really like the CST Cyclops, Maxxis Hookworm and Schwabe Big Apples. My 26 x 1.95" Kenda street tires are clearly not up to what is being asked of them. Pretty soon I'll have more patches than bare tube showing..... I like the low rolling resistance of the Kendas, but they are obviously too thin and light duty. I consider tires extremely important having experienced a rear wheel blow-out on my BMW R1100RT before. As always, I appreciate your input. 8)

You don't say how much power you're running or what problem you're trying to solve. If it's grip you're after, then Maxis Hookworm. If it's punctures, then Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Energizer, though not for high torque bikes.

d8veh said:
Wolfeman said:
What are the best choices for general purpose pavement/very occasional gravel tires? From my browsing it looks like most people really like the CST Cyclops, Maxxis Hookworm and Schwabe Big Apples. My 26 x 1.95" Kenda street tires are clearly not up to what is being asked of them. Pretty soon I'll have more patches than bare tube showing..... I like the low rolling resistance of the Kendas, but they are obviously too thin and light duty. I consider tires extremely important having experienced a rear wheel blow-out on my BMW R1100RT before. As always, I appreciate your input. 8)

You don't say how much power you're running or what problem you're trying to solve. If it's grip you're after, then Maxis Hookworm. If it's punctures, then Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Energizer, though not for high torque bikes.

You're right, my bad. 2000w DD rear hub, 52V pack. Commuting mostly on pavement, little bit of gravel. Looking for the magic perfect combination of traction, minimal rolling resistance and flat protection. Usual cruising speed is 20 mph with occasional blasts to 40+ mph.

Wolfeman said:
Looking for the magic perfect combination of traction, minimal rolling resistance and flat protection.

Panaracer RiBMo 26 x 2.0 is the only tire I have much experience with that combines excellent puncture resistance with very low rolling resistance. The Schwalbe Marathon Supreme is reputed to have the same combination, but it's too expensive for my budget. Both these tires are essentially slicks and offer outstanding traction on pavement with compromised traction on loose surfaces.

Well, I went ahead and bought some CST Cyclops tires to give them a try. Went for a ride on gravel and pavement and they seem fine. Nice big tire as well. They ended up being a bit expensive because of shipping to Canada. Niagara Cycle wanted $33 to ship two to Canada. I'll have to price some tires at local bike shops next time I get off the island.

Put over 40 miles on my new set of Maxxis Holy Rollers yesterday. At 45 psi the ride was plush, but was definitely using more juice to go the same speed and distance. At 60 psi the rolling resistance was right back down and I was again averaging about 2.5 miles per amp hour. They do make a bit of road noise, but it is SO nice having a bigger tire with more tread. I'm very happy with the Holy Rollers and looking forward to seeing how they wear. My riding is a lot of rural roads with debris covered areas. So far these things are great.

IMG_19.8.2016_063131.jpg

One thing to keep in mind with Holy Rollers is that the tire is paper thin in between the knobs, with no protective belt. The knobs raise the casing above the surface a bit, but whatever sharp object pokes at it will find negligible resistance.

Edit:

I probably shouldn't have to say it, but knobbies are not pavement tires. They offer impaired traction and higher rolling resistance than smooth treads on the street. The only surface on which a knobby performs better than a slick is a surface that's softer than the tire, or covered with loose material.

Back