Cell-level fuse idea

garolittle

10 kW
So would the drawing on the left work as a “cell-level” fuse? It is simply a modification of the traditional nickel strip as shown on the right. It seems a “Dead Short” would quickly burn through the narrow parallel connection but I fear the current would simply move across the series connection triggering the second row of cells to “go thermal”. Any thoughts? Thanks. 45AF3BA3-1054-483B-8776-115D65BE91C9.jpeg
5713D12B-BD98-45A1-9954-A3D86C8EE9FA.jpeg

Remember, you only need to fuse one end of the cell.

Also, it would be a good idea to test and tune your fuse dimensions so it blows at the required current. No point going to all the trouble if you don't know if it even works as expected.

Yes IT would work. A commercial product is available - can't remember from where

serious_sam said:
Remember, you only need to fuse one end of the cell.

Also, it would be a good idea to test and tune your fuse dimensions so it blows at the required current. No point going to all the trouble if you don't know if it even works as expected.

Good point about fusing one end of the cell only. Also, would definitely test the amps at which a fuse blows. Basically protecting against a dead short but would test accordingly. Appreciate the feedback

Vbruun said:
Yes IT would work. A commercial product is available - can't remember from where
Roger that and thank you. If you can remember the vendor that would be great. I would love to check it out. Appreciate the response.

https://batteryhookup.com/collections/cell-level-nickel-fuse?rfsn=3017979.6ff450&fbclid=IwAR3r7O6EhKzfppeX5mOnrQ7Z41P18KA2BHWYmIiYER1BrhZ0pxGm-oqBQY8

Vbruun said:
https://batteryhookup.com/collections/cell-level-nickel-fuse?rfsn=3017979.6ff450&fbclid=IwAR3r7O6EhKzfppeX5mOnrQ7Z41P18KA2BHWYmIiYER1BrhZ0pxGm-oqBQY8

Yes Sir. Cool product. I asked the vendor about it and they said it was nickel plated steel. Love the design though.

It is pretty awesome! Didn't know about it being plated steel though.

spinningmagnets said:
Keith at "18650 heat shrink and cell holders" has purchased some that is pure nickel. Although, it's possible some vendor has ordered nickel-plated steel to take advantage of a hot new product, by making a counterfeit...

Roger that. Keith is a great guy. I will check with him as well. Love the individual cell-fuse design.

garolittle said:
spinningmagnets said:
Keith at "18650 heat shrink and cell holders" has purchased some that is pure nickel. Although, it's possible some vendor has ordered nickel-plated steel to take advantage of a hot new product, by making a counterfeit...

Roger that. Keith is a great guy. I will check with him as well. Love the individual cell-fuse design.

I saw average joes test on that fuse strip, lots of heat check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAPHF3Sq2t8

Good thread - the kind of thing we are looking for.

thanks for contributing

-methods

methods said:
Good thread - the kind of thing we are looking for.

thanks for contributing

-methods
Thanks sir. I’ve been working hard on this. I know this is a popular idea so it is very interesting to hear everyone’s a opinions and suggestions. Thanks for all that you do for the forum. Gary

Back