E-bikes as a solution to traffic congestion, obesity etc

ronniec95

100 mW
I've been on this forum for a while, and been using UK (cheap) pre-built e bikes for a bit, just to learn a bit more about them and use them for day to day errands.

To me e-bikes are the way to solve a number of problems facing the UK (and probably a lot of countries).

With an e-bike I almost completely avoid using my car, probably for 99% of the journeys I need, almost to the point where I'm thinking of just hiring a car or taxi when my wife and I absolutely need one. I mean just to store my car in the driveway costs me £1000 a year in insurance, tax, servicing, and that's before depreciation and fuel :shock:

I commute 20 miles (round trip) to work on my bike which saves me about 2000 a year on rail/underground ticket costs. That rather than driving to work, reduces congestion on the roads, unlike a 50cc scooter, also doesn't pollute (ignoring the production of electricity elsewhere).

And 20 miles of riding, with moderate pedelling gives me a good amount of exercise. Nothing compared to the lycra guys going up 10% hills on a racer, but definitely enough to keep me healthy.

I suspect, but if e-bikes really took off the following benefits would be achieved:-

1. A healthier population - if everyone e-biked for a large percentage of their journeys then the obesity epidemic could be reduced significantly.
a) this would have subsequent impact on health costs of supporting obese people
b) exercise is suspected to have significant positive effects on health outside just weight, like reduced risk of diabetes, reducing in cancer causing agents, lower risk of heart attacks
c) If we had healthier population, then there would be significant savings to be made on the NHS(or equivalent) saving 10s if not 100s of billions a year.

2. Having cycles on roads over cars in urban environments would reduce congestion
a) A cycle takes by 1/10 the space of a car, even ebikes with massive battery packs :p
b) An impact by a 150Kg cyclist+ebike and pedestrian at reasonable e-bike speeds, say 25miles an hour, is far less likely to kill or even injure significantly compared to a 1500Kg car and a pedestrian, reducing road deaths/injuries again reducing health costs.
c) It would be quieter, so you could hear the birds rather than the drone of vehicles.
d) Cleaner air in cities

3. It's generally acknowledge that for delivery companies the 'last mile' problem is the biggest issue. Due to congestion in the cities, it often contributes over 25% to the total cost of a delivery taking account in to the distance vs time.
a) Ebike power hubs which delivered from existing (eg fedex/dhl) hubs to the inner city would decrease costs and time. Admittedly this you can already see on the streets of london which is quite cool

So really for a large number of people with commutes of 20 miles or less, I think e-bikes could be an ideal solution not only saving money for themselves, but the nation as a whole. It would have significant reductions in health spending which could offset the reduction in tax revenue from fuel(maybe?).

I still think you need a car though for the longer trips or when you take the kids to school and it's pouring down with rain. I'm not a beard and sandals guy thinking that this is a panacea ;)

However I do wish the governments would regulate this burgeoning industry better rather than restrict it. If they increased the power and speed limits it would really start to push innovation. I have a feeling they also see this and think, wait, we'll loose all that fuel tax revenue, and won't be able to regulate people. :cry:

Health costs may actually rise due to accidents but those will likely taper off as fewer cars compete for road space. One less car = safer roadways!

Good points. Idealistic perhaps but good stuff. I just hope policy makers can learn to appreciate and nurture vehicles that make so much more sense than what's currently supported.

Back