EU street legal speed pedelec without battery drm?

Hello,

I'm looking for an EU street legal speed pedelec. I'd honestly prefer to buy one, but I won't accept DRM'ed/manufacturer locked batteries.

Is there any solution to that?

- Is there any obscure brand that will sell me a street legal 45km/h speed pedelec I can connect a generic decent quality 36/48/52V battery pack to?
- What is the maximum modification I can make to an existing speed pedelec without requiring recertification? I guess if I can make a new battery work with it, I can put it in and still be ok. But can I replace a controller? controller firmware? A motor? From what point is individual (re)certification needed?
- Is there any EU country known to be easier to work with on an individual certification of a diy speed pedelec? I'm thinking price, process, paperwork and whatnot.

Kind regards,

meesterkweepeer

P.S. Please do note I am new to this forum. If my message would be more appropriate modified and/or elsewhere, please do let me know.

There is the Swiss Aureus Power 45
https://www.aureusdrive.ch/de/modelle/power-45
It uses a standard battery with a standard Lishui controller ...

regards
stancecoke

Hello Stancecoke,

Thank you for your hint. I've immediately started reading up about the AureusDrive Power 45 and EU certificate of conformity.

I've also found a teeny tiny Dutch manufacturer: EBIKE EFOS. They seem to operate in a lower league, but still quite useful. They mainly do two things.

Their main activity seems to be (sets for) 45 km/h conversions of bikes. Those cannot be used on public roads in accordance with the law afterwards. They have also taken the effort to push one fairly basic Bafang rear motor based model through certification for the Netherlands. This is not a Europe wide certification though as far as I understand. They get a local registration in the Netherlands, and based upon that, you can bring it over the border with just administrative fuss. I found one license plate (DXS-92-F) for one of their speed pedelecs. You can check it at https://ovi.rdw.nl .

I get the impression they're a tiny team of decent people with a heart for cycling and technical skills, but limited skills presenting themselves or their business in the sense of marketing.

Back