eZip - iZip Wheel Repair - Rebuild - Replacement

DrkAngel

1 GW
Staton-inc 12ga Left\Right drive wheel

Purchased a Staton-inc.com quality Left\Right hub-wheel as replacement for neighbors eZip with broken bearing seat-cup-race. (I suffered 2 similar failures)
Hub, with 4 sealed ball bearing seems excellent but wheel build was a horrible debacle.
Bad lacing, tight nipple hole producing stressful bends etc See - Staton-inc 12ga Left\Right drive wheel - $200
Left \ Right hubs recommended ~($100 shipped) but do not purchase the wheel-build option (+$100) !!!

Bearing "cup" replacement

Anyhow, I accidentally was (previously) shipped some Right\Right threaded hubs, with removable bearing cups. (proper replacements sent with no return request)
Will grind-cut broken cups from eZip failed hubs and attempt to replace ... giving me 3 spare eZip drive wheels!
I have enough 13g SS spokes for 4 "proper" eZip wheel rebuilds (with washers at spoke elbows, of course)

Directional lacing spokes

Broken Spokes seem to plague the EZip bikes.

Closer investigation was done!

Turns out, there are multiple reasons for these failures!

1. Torque is mono-directional, but typically, this is not accounted for.
The "torqued" spokes should have their elbows turned outward!

file.php

All EZips, I've had, have one side turned inward, one outward. (4 EZips, 1 IZip)

2. Hub spoke flange is too thin, spokes are not supported, so there is excessive stress on the spoke "elbow" causing early failure!

Solutions?

1. Re-directionalize spokes. (Partial solution)

file.php

2. Add washers to spoke elbow.
This pulls the elbow close to the hub flange, reducing torque-stress on the elbow

file.php

3. Use better hub. I lucked into a few of these, present source unknown.

file.php

file.php

4. 12 gauge spokes with "proper directionality".
The EZip uses 14ga 258mm & 260mm spokes, I was able to find 260 & 261mm closest match, extra length was on purpose ...
This still doesn't address the issue of the spoke flange being too thin, so ... washers!
#4 SAE washers work nicely, and look impressive!

file.php

Nice and SOLID!

file.php

Oh! Why the "longer" spokes.
Well with the spokes "solidified" and capable of great strength, the weak point, is now the wheel, being a cheap alloy extrusion.
Might even pull the nipples, through the wheel.

So ... washers!
#10 SAE "stamped" washers have a nice concave side, that works nicely with 12ga nipples.
Aluminum alloy wheels don't particularly like steel, even zinc coated steel washers, against them, so I ran 2 wraps of duct tape between.

file.php

Also see: 14ga to 12ga Spoke Upgrade

Back