First 100% Eco powered vehicle completes a Dakar Stage

No Bueno indeed.

I would have hoped they had multiple systems or at least some sort of backup for navigation but class rules may not have allowed for it.

Dakar is such a brutal race. It's good to know someday it will be done with all electric motorcycles and electric trucks because gas vehicles won't be competitive.

Awesome to see these things happening with EVs!

I just can't get over the 140kWh 1700kg battery...

Two Tesla 85kWh packs would weigh 1100kg and give 190kWh.

Punx0r said:
I just can't get over the 140kWh 1700kg battery...

Two Tesla 85kWh packs would weigh 1100kg and give 190kWh.
Remember
MidTNJasonF said:
MINIMUM WEIGHT: 1,250KG (AT 25% ENERGY CAPACITY)
and
MidTNJasonF said:
Motor:
225kW (300hp) at 6,000rpm and 700Nm of torque

LITHIUM-ION BATTERY PACKS:
Assembled in cooled packs of 35 kWh per unit. Total of 4 on-board packs (140kWh)
I believe, this thing can perform with only 1 pack on board.

P.S. 2x85kWh packs should mathematically give 170kWh, or is there some headroom I do not know about?

The only headroom is the room in my head where my brain should be - I added it up wrong... :oops:

I appreciate the Tesla packs are state-of-the-art, but they're almost double the energy density of the ones in the Dakar racer and at least comparable in C-rate.

I guess they are playing safe & heavy with LiFePo4 cells like CalB or such that are very durable and easy to fix if there are issues.
A Dakar vehicle has enough issues to deal with without having to mess with battery cooling/heating systems and fussy condition monitoring etc in something like a sealed Tesla pack.

I LOVE the dakar. I hope there is some coverage of this vehicle in the video highlights. They get me through January every year.

I think this one showed 4 crashes. It's a perfect car flipping dip at 180 km/h.

[youtube]eVNw6ywRZss[/youtube]

Back