First build; Best motors for heavy riders?

Hey everybody,

I have been really loving all the great info on this forum, and it has been helping me a ton as I have been getting ready to jump into my first build! I have a few questions but before I get to those here is what I am looking at for my build:

Motor: single SK3 6374 192 KV
Gearing: 2:1 (18t, 36t 15mm width 5mm htd belt)
Esc: Hobbywing 150A
Batteries: 2x3s 5000 or 8000 mah in series
Trucks: Caliber 44
Wheels: 83mm flywheel clones
Mounting bracket: custom (I will design and machine this my self)

Questions:

1) My biggest question right now is about the motor: I am a pretty heavy guy (~230 lbs) and I want to make sure that I have enough torque for decent hills, it doesn't need to be anything crazy, but I want to be sure I can handle most hills. Top speed I am looking for is about 18 - 20 mph (which it looks like I would get with the above setup). I know that the best thing would be a dual motor setup, but I am pretty set on going with a single motor setup on my first build (both because of lack of experience and cost). Would the motor/gearing combo above be enough? would it be overkill? I have also been considering the SK3 6364 213 or 190 kv motors, would one of these be more appropriate?

2) I have tried to read up as much as possible on the noisy breaking that you get with a lot of ESCs but It doesn't really seem like there is a definitive answer for this. Is there anything that can be done about this? are there any ESCs that don't do this?

3) If I use 6m bolts through the flywheel clones, do I need any kind of adapter, or do they fit in the stock wheel?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

1:2 might be ok but might be better to be around 1:2.5 or higher but will lower your top speed also.

6S might be low for voltage. 8S would be better. 10S even better.

I've had a friend who's around that weight and used my 5055 280kv SK3 with 1:2 gearing on 6S. He actually climbed steep hills pretty well.

1. You can get a single motor setup and use 8S/10S for more power on a 63mm motor.

If you opt for 10S you can add higher torque to your setup to accommodate for the increase in voltage.

2. There are some ESC's that have a braking sound and a few others that don't. I know the HObbwing and HobbyKing 6S 150A ESCs do make sounds when braking. The 8S 120A ESCs don't have much noise for braking but they have been unreliable lately and I wouldn't recommend them anymore.

3. You can fit M6 bolts through the clones. You would need a retainer on the opposite end to hold the bolts in. I have a 44T available - http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/44t-drive-wheel-pulley/.

agree 1:2.5 on 83mms is a good torque on a 193 Kv,... i weigh in at 200.. and 17:42 on a 245 Kv works well for me (no hills though)
It will however not be particularly fast...

So maybe think of an 8s (minumum) or 10s or 12s setup which brings in a new set of variables and dificulties... but as you said ...15-20 mph is OK (for now at least) in which case youll love the simplicity of 6s as compared to the other alternatives. The 12s will probably come later on :D

Also the screeching while braking rocks.. it is not a defect it is a feature.. gets children and small mammals out of the way... I love it...

Agree with the single motor trial attitude.. your motormount will probably take several iterations to get perfect and it is better to try with a single piece.. also a succesful single piece design will last forever when doubled, if and when you decide to double it...

Good luck.. this is not nearly as difficult as it seems..

Thanks for your replies guys.

torqueboards said:
I've had a friend who's around that weight and used my 5055 280kv SK3 with 1:2 gearing on 6S. He actually climbed steep hills pretty well.

I'm assuming that was on a duel setup then?

beto_pty said:
So maybe think of an 8s (minumum) or 10s or 12s setup which brings in a new set of variables and difficulties... but as you said ...15-20 mph is OK (for now at least) in which case you'll love the simplicity of 6s as compared to the other alternatives. The 12s will probably come later on :D

I am interested in an 8s possibility, but it seems like all the Car ESCs I can find are only rated for 6s, the only ones I have found that are rated for more than 6s are the alien esc, and they seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Anywhere else I should look for an 8s esc? You talked about the simplicity of 6s systems, are there any other disadvantages to an 8s system besides just finding one?

Ptown_Cruiser said:
I am interested in an 8s possibility, but it seems like all the Car ESCs I can find are only rated for 6s, the only ones I have found that are rated for more than 6s are the alien esc, and they seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Anywhere else I should look for an 8s esc? You talked about the simplicity of 6s systems, are there any other disadvantages to an 8s system besides just finding one?

Yup our mainstream escs are all 6s... except for alien...

There is the favorite 12s flashed to car esc protocols (will run on anything between 8s-12s).. actually will try to finish my new setup this weekend using one so i could update as soon as i have some info..

my destroyer (see link) runs on a 12s esc but it has no brake.. so I had to give it a band brake combo... but i digress 12s is glorious, terrifying and awesome..

Never used, but Torque is a top seller.

A 6374 on 12s on a bike is a beast. When geared for 30km/h (20mph) it will climb anything you throw at it, including the sides of storm rains and stuff. If you can grip, you can climb it. One would assume the same could be said for a board.

A dual 50mm will also be just as beast on 6s. That being said, I think I *may* have just blown a 6354 on 5s, will confirm in the morning. But a 6374 is also almost double a 6354...

Edit: Yup, she's dead. Got over 100km out of it, but it was never fantastic. The short 28mm stator is where it lets you down.

yup got my 12s esc from Torque..
trying it hopefully this weekend

Yeah the 6354 245kv SK3's are a bit deceiving - two is ok.

Changing to high torque is awesome under 5-10mph. Like you said as long as you have grip you'll climb. The downside is you need that 8S/10S/12S to accommodate for the higher torque - gearing setup if you want have a higher top end speed.

I can only imagine 12S.... I haven't tried it yet but I have a feeling it might be dangerous for me. lol

I wish there were more options for a nice 12S setup for lipo packs.

Dual 50mm Low Torque 6S Setup
Dual 50mm (5055) on 6S isn't too bad at all. I ran Dual Diagonal 5065 280KV SK3 setup on 6S with a 1:2 gearing ratio which was 20T/40T. Top speed was good and uphill riding was excellent. You do have to kick a bit up really steep hills but these are hills that are 20% and higher. 10-20% hills - you just need a slight running start and/or perhaps about 1 or 2 feet kick. I'm about 185-200 lbs depending on what I put in my backpack and it rides great. Top speed I would estimate is at about 23-25mph. I normally ride at about 10-18mph at most.

I had a friend who is able to ride my board perfectly fine he's about 230lbs. He climbed about a 15-20% hill. I would personally go with an 8S setup though. Perhaps, it's biased because I've outgrown a 6S setup lol - there's not much power once you ride it for so long.

Dual 50mm High Torque 8S-12S Setup
For example, if you have a higher torque setup as we've mentioned above. I'm currently using Dual 5065 200KV with a 1:2.5 gearing ratio which is 16T/40T. On 6S the top speed is very limited but the torque is great. I think my top end is more along the lines of 15-16mph but it would climb any hill. On 8S, my speed seems to be about 18-22mph speed. I think if I drop down to 1:2 that the torque will still be adequate and I'll gain more top end speed.

Waiting on some pulleys and will switch to 16T/32T for 1:2. Haven't tried a 12S setup yet but you might even be able to get more torque and keep a 25mph top speed.

Back