German 60 mph E-Bike Blacktrail : €59.500

What a bunch of crap. 80% of the cost is probably the absurd amount of expensive carbon fiber.... Another showpiece for the rich and bloated..

Notice also how they don't show it in action during the stupid video..

Robbie

If it looked more like a regular bicycle, didn't need liquid nitrogen, had full suspension and I made millions a year I'd buy it. Being how things are I guess I'll just have to wait for Amprius to start supplying batteries commercially to realize my dream of a 50lbs bike that has a 100 mile range.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/13/jay-leno-video-blacktrail-bt-01-rolls-like-a-million-bucks-cos/

Video of Jay Leno riding:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/electric/pg-bikes-blacktrail-electric-bicycle/

no info on motor.. Did you guys hear the sound ? i am pretty sure rc type motor is in ? .. I just saw a site for a minute , i dont think theres info on motor anyway..

heya all. I'm knew to this forum so Hi!.. been watching a while and just built my first ebike.. anyway was looking at the Black Trail on the net.. it seemed like a bit of have so searched for "black trail lies" and here I am. Doesn't feel good for my first post to be a bit negative as the Ebike concept is indeed the way of the future. I love my setup (nine continents 2806 in a 700c wheel, with a ping 48volt 15Ah)
Anyway.. if this thing can indeed do 100kph it would be needing around 8KW to push it through the air. The aerodynamics look atrocious.. fat tyres, upright stance, wide battery box. And Jay Leno ain't the sleekest of characters (not meaning to dig at ya Jay.. just looking at the physics)

yep.. those carbon spokes would snap, the battery would be flat in 10 minutes if it could even give out that amount of current (160 Amps). 48 volt Lithium ion in that size would make it 30Ah max? They say the motor is rated at 1.2KW? I know nothing about supraconductors (so maybe someone can enlighten me.. and also liquid nitrogen??) but I don' t think anything can be better than 100% efficiency... so I really don't see how this all can work with the figures they are giving. Surely if it could do those speeds Jay would have opened it out for a few moments to see what it could do? I surely would :)

I actually like the look though, at least it is trying to look interesting. Carbon fibre frames will prob be the way to go in the end. And the wide tyres may make up a bit for the lack of suspension.

Anyway.. just my thoughts. It is crazy seeing something like this get so much hype.. and sell for this price.. when from what I see the guys on this forum are building essentially better bikes in their sheds. If it promotes a cool image for ebikes then great, but I think it is giving false expectations.

Greg

OK.. working it out at 3.7Kw might get the bike to 90kph if the person on it was a very small 50kg in a full crouch position. Maybe it is a theoretical max top speed if the person was some sort of aerodynamic mutant :)

3.7Kw would make it quite fun though. I see the Ah rating is 17 so the 160km range would be 5 1/3 hours at 30kph, about 160 Watts if the whole chain does indeed have 100% efficiency. So must be the same amount in human input as well to keep up the 30kph. All pretty dodgy as far as presentation of figures go.

I said the spokes would brake.. but I don't know that much about carbon fiber so could be wrong there. I still like the leather tho!

My German is a little rusty - but I could make out 3 million euro development cost and two week production time. So no wonder it costs what it does.

Hi there,
I don't know if this could interest someone (exept me) but I do know what kind of motor they seems to mount :)
I've watched this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwPVkWCTgA
And then.. well this motor at 2:20 was something I already seen :-D
yeaap it's a plettenberg predator 25/8
you can get "detailled" infos there:
http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/german/motoren/aussen/Predator25/Motor.htm
but honestly the price is... German :-/
Hope it helps someone :)
Servus,
H.

Back