Golf Cart Motor - Lawn Tractor Conversion

H2Guy

100 mW
I'm converting a tired John Deere 100 series lawn tractor to electric and will be using a 36V Club Car motor with Curtis controller that all bench tests fine. The challenge with these golf cart motors is they don't have a front bearing plate since they use the differential connection/housing to support the rotor. The second challenge is they accept a male spline drive shaft so some solution is required to configure and secure a traditional shaft output. I've designed a front plate / shaft and 3D printed some fit-up prototypes. Before I commit to metal fab ($$) I'm wondering if anyone one else out there has used a golf cart motor and can offer any advice before I go in too deep.

The easiest thing might be to get my hands on a club car rear end and eliminate custom fab at the motor ... some kind of customization would be required to secure the rear end to the JD frame but unfortunately I can't seem to find a used part in my neck of the woods (Southern Ontario) so this doesn't seem to be a viable path forward.

Would really like to use the motor / controller on hand as it's sitting in a box and dying to be used on something. Let me know your thoughts and all words of wisdom please.

Cheers

you need a transmision input shaft such as this Club Car Ds Drive Unit Input Shaft 1013764 | eBay a metal plate to mount the moter to and support the bearing. Cut the shaft or pull the gear then adapt to pulley/drive shaft. different years of Club cars may have different splines
Later floyd

Back