Hard Start Function

FlipDowney

10 mW
Man, what a great first post... my dummy question.
I got a kit from Ablebike and its been a good experience. Everything worked great and i took my time to do it correctly all the way down to torque specs. While programming the Sabvoton 72150 controller i see the Boost option under the Function tab. I have to switches for boost and i see there is the "Hard Start" option. I think i know what this means and how it works but i cannot confirm anything at all from any info that i can find. No one ever even mentions it in the forums.

Any help?
And happy to be a part of the group! Ebikes kick ass!

Attachments

• 20230309_133852.jpg
    20230309_133852.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
I'm not sure about that particular model, but many controllers have a "soft start" feature which limits the power on takeoff to prevent wheelies, etc. I assume hard start is the opposite of soft start.

I never used the hard start feature but from what I understand is, you can have two seperare DC current settings, one normal DC current setting and a boost current setting. You could for example have the normal DC current set to 150A and boost current to 200A. The controller will always pull up to 150A and only 200A if it meets certain requirements for example if you have a "boost" switch and it's switched on or for example if the controller detects hard start.

As the name suggest, you would have to perform a hard start for the controller to pull the boost current instead of normal current, I'm unsure how the controller determines a "hard start", I would assume either max throttle voltage at low RPM or how fast current is pulled at low RPM.

From looking at your picture, your bike has a UKC1 display and display versions of SVMC72150 or SVMC72150-M to be specific (the M variation being the display model) are typically locked to their rated current which in your case is 150A this means the controller will not let you enter currents above 150A this includes the boost current. So if you are already running the controller at max power which is 150A then the boost current and "hard start" function are irrelevant to you as you can't program the controller above 150A to be able to use those functions. If your controller is not maxed out for example you're running 100A, then you could set the boost current to 150A and set the trigger to hard start, in this case the controller will pull 150A instead of 100A on hard start, if that's the case, I would find out if your battery/BMS can output 150A or at the very least handle 150A burst for 3 to 5 seconds before trying to pull more current that the bike was programmed to pull when you bought it.

The battery can handle 130a. I have it set to 80a. I was thinking it must be something like that but then there could be rpm limits and things like that so im trying to actually know what this function does, what the actual function is. I dont have any switch for boost... maybe i should get one.

I'm running mine always on "boost" setting, as I have not connected the 3 gear button/switch.
My old scooter had this function and after a stop you always had to press the button twice to get full speed.

The MQCon Android App has no "Hard start".

Perhaps I've got a different app version (v1.5).
Mine has no hard start or I'm to blind to see it.
I installed the app two years ago.

Idk? Its the mqcon android app. I finished the bike only a few weeks ago. This is the first ebike ive been around and it has an option called hard start next ti the boost option. Gotta choose one. I can post pics tomorrow, the bike is out at the shop.

Idk? Its the mqcon android app. I finished the bike only a few weeks ago. This is the first ebike ive been around and it has an option called hard start next ti the boost option. Gotta choose one. I can post pics tomorrow, the bike is out at the shop.
Did u ever figure out the difference between hard start and boost. And what settings they affect. Been looking for what the difference is and I have not found much info on the topic.

Back