Help with DC Inverter Step Down

CivBase

1 µW
Earlier today I was looking into power stations for tailgating at football games when I realized I could probably rig together something better on the cheap using the ebike batteries I already have.

I have two 52V 14S7P battery packs from EM3ev and they've worked great for the last few years.

1000W should be more than enough for my use case, so I'm considering a 12V 1000W inverter from Renology. I've had no problem with my 1000W Bafang motor - even running well above 1000W - so that inverter seems like a safe bet.

But I'm not confident about the step down from 52V to 12V. The inverter has a peak output of 2000W, which at 12V would be 166A. Split across two battery packs, that should be a peak draw of 84A per pack, max 42A continuous. That's pushing the XT90-S connector's limits, but it hasn't been a problem so far on my bike so I'm not too worried. Realistically, I won't be drawing close to that 1000W limit anyways.

My real concern is the step down transformers I've found are all rated for max currents well below that. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Are there any particular retailer or brands that anyone recommends for transformers or inverters?

I think you want a 48V DC input to 120V AC output inverter, not a 12V DC input inverter.
This is such an inverter combined with a solar MPPT charger, so has functionality you don't need.
Here is one on Amazon, which seems to have ok reviews.

A transformer will not work for DC (except once, for a very short moment, when you make the connection on the primary side ;) .

Last edited:
Woops, transformer is definitely the wrong word. I supposed I'm looking for a buck converter, right?

But I suppose an inverter that takes 48V directly would be pretty convenient. I was having trouble finding one like that on my own but I guess I'm just bad at searching. Thanks!

Back