How to start slowly?

Kerrith

100 mW
I just rec'd my Leaf Agilis (folding, 1000w rear wheel motor, 48v 20ah Lithium batt) with Full Twist Throttle Control (http://www.leafbike.com/products/electric-bicycle/20-inch-folding-electric-bike/new-20-inch-1000w-folding-electric-bike-957.html).

I'm having a heck of time applying the front brake without accidentally twisting the full twist throttle and accelerating.
And, I can't seem to start from stop very slowly; the slightest twist causes me to surge forward faster than I want. The torque is awesome.

I mentioned the problem to Peter Hou (Leafbike.com). Peter has provided exemplary support—timely responses to all my concerns. He's sending me a free Thumb Throttle ( http://www.leafbike.com/products/electric-bike-parts/throttle/th-002-48v-664.html).

Question: Will I be able to control my start speed so that it starts very slowly using the Thumb Control? If not, are there other options?

Please advise,

Thanks, Kerry

You want a throttle tamer. Check the for sale section. made by Zombiess

For the throttle/brake solution, I'd suggest trying a half twist throttle. It gives you a solid anchor to the bar at the outside of your hand which doesn't twist, so it makes grabbing the brake easier as well as holding the throttle in a static position.

When you engage the brakes it should be cutting motor power anyway, so if not it's something you need to address, because it's an important safety feature. I don't think there's an ebike legally sold that doesn't have an ebrake cutoff.

Thumb throttle should help alot.Product description says programable LCD control,including pedal assist 1-5. Top speed is a seperate setting. Maybe choosing less assist will tame the start up issue.

See if your controller has something that might help. I found a feature on mine that Doesn't even start the bike moving until I give it about half throttle. I don't use it much, but if I ever let someone ride it, I'll certainly flip the switch an turn it on. I don't have a problem managing my thumb throttle. Just took a while to get used to barely moving it to start.

I have my rear brake lever on the left of my bars, i use the brake like a 'clutch' i guess
you could say in that, i hold it firmly on apply small amount of power at start up and release the rear brake
applying additional throttle as i get moving...

I also use this in cornering, applying small amount of brake so i can have the
motor under my control whilst im coasting into corner then, ready to go when i hit apex of the corner
again, easing out the rear brake as i twist the throttle i then get no 'slack' that ofen occurs with
chain drive setups...Takes a while to get it happening but i do it without thinking now works a treat perhaps give it a whirl

+1 for Zombiess throttle tamer!

KiM

aroundqube said:
Thumb throttle should help alot.Product description says programable LCD control,including pedal assist 1-5. Top speed is a seperate setting. Maybe choosing less assist will tame the start up issue.
The levels 1 to 5 are for the pedal sensor. It has no effect on the throttle, but if you have the PAS sensor fitted, you can start with pedalling on a low level, and once started, open the throttle.

It sounds like you haven't got your brake sensors fitted. If not, you should fit them soon.

When you engage the brakes it should be cutting motor power anyway,
Yes, since posting I discovered that both levers cut power to the motor.

The levels 1 to 5 are for the pedal sensor. It has no effect on the throttle.
Correct

but if you have the PAS sensor fitted, you can start with pedaling on a low level
I had mine disconnected—because of a leg injury I can only pedal standing up. Other than the jerky fast starts it's working fine.

It sounds like you haven't got your brake sensors fitted. If not, you should fit them soon.
No lit/instructions came with the bike so I don't know if I do or not. What's the test?

Peter at Leaf is sending me a free Thumb Throttle w/Power button and Cruise Control. Will report back.

Much thanks for all the tips,

Kerry

If you decide to still use a twist after you try the thumb, you can turn the full twist into a half twist by cutting off well half of it.

Beat me to it. I have not liked full twist throttle for the same reason you just said. I just sawed the full twist throttle in half, and problem solved. You should find thumb throttle easier too.

The ebrakes should help, but you have to learn to ride so that reaching for them doesn't make you roll back the throttle. Perhaps adjusting the angle the handles are set at could help that.

I ride very twitchy throttles on my bikes, because they are light weight with a lot of power.
The front brake is on the left, regen is independent from the brake lever. I use half twist throttles. I got used to it, now i know the "friction point" and can start or cruise very slowly. The bikes are dangerous to anyone new to them, because they can do a back flip on the spot if one is not familiar with the throttle and power. Good side is that they are very unlikely to be stolen, for some stranger trying to start them is almost certain to end on his back with the bike flipping alone in the air.

lbz5mc12 said:
If you decide to still use a twist after you try the thumb, you can turn the full twist into a half twist by cutting off well half of it.
Good tip. Thanks

I have been very careful doing short runs so as to break in the batt correctly, as such I'm getting more comfortable with the Full Twist Throttle, more so since discovering that power is cut when actuating either the front or rear brake.

Leaf set the max speed at 25kpm which for now is perfect, never having ridden that fast on my 10 Spd Huffy about 45 years ago, it's quite exhilarating.

Much thanks,

Kerry

MadRhino said:
I ride very twitchy throttles on my bikes, because they are light weight with a lot of power.
The front brake is on the left, regen is independent from the brake lever. I use half twist throttles. I got used to it, now i know the "friction point" and can start or cruise very slowly. The bikes are dangerous to anyone new to them, because they can do a back flip on the spot if one is not familiar with the throttle and power. Good side is that they are very unlikely to be stolen, for some stranger trying to start them is almost certain to end on his back with the bike flipping alone in the air.

That sounds a like a great setup :mrgreen: I like it!

Back