I let a total stranger ride my 6kW 20" tire cromotor ebike

zombiess

10 MW
Short version:
I let a stranger I just met take my 6kW 20" tired Cromotor bike for a ride and he came back with a huge e bike grin.

Slightly spammy (sorry, but this is how it happened) long version:
I was out testing my throttle interface and tweaking it for my bike when I heard someone call out to me. I was in my full face helmet and MC gloves and going around 30mph so he knew something was up. I pulled over to him and he wanted to know what I was riding and how it worked. Spent a little talking to him as he had just loaded up his long board to get a quick session in before sun down. Didn't look like your stereotypical surfer at all (Ventura has lots of beach bums). He told me he rode motocross so he really found my bike interesting. After a short chat I offered to let him ride it, but he hesitated for a second until I showed him I had a low power setting which made him feel more comfortable hopping on some strange 2 wheeled electric ride. I think he hesitated because I demonstrated the torque the bike had by blipping the throttle and popping the front end up violently. I showed him how the throttle worked and to turn it slowly to start off and set the bike to low power, 40%. After a few seconds I saw he had no throttle control issues due to his experience so I set the bike to medium power at 66% using the selector switch and off he went down the street. Came back really impressed and asked if that was full power. Let him take off again at 100% power this time. He ended up hitting 38 MPH at was amazed at the torque the bike made. Since he had motorcycle experience and I was out with the purpose of testing my throttle interface I asked him what he thought of how the throttle worked. He said it had a little bit of lag but was pretty good over all. I just had it dangling from my controller and he asked what it did so I removed the throttle interface and hooked the throttle directly to the controller and gave a quick demo of violent throttle response. I don't think he would have done the test ride if he saw how hard it was to just start off. He said the torque was impressive and noticed my swing arm was quite a bit longer than normal and suggested I make it even longer. He asked if 40mph was as fast as it could go and I told him I have all the settings turned down due to the control issues and it's has a lot more torque and a top speed of 60mph with my other battery pack. He was pretty surprised that it could have as much left in it as I was describing.

Hopefully I will run into him again when he isn't on his way to surf before sundown and I'm not late for dinner. I always enjoy helping give someone their first ebike grin. Next up is my wife and her bike we are converting really soon.

I have a Cycle Analyst 3 on the way to me to test out the torque throttle function in it and see how I like that. It's also replacing my Cycle Analyst 2.23 on my fast bike which will end up on the wife's 9C 2808. I'll video her first ride to hopefully capture the e-grin.

My swing arm is not extended.
Every time I let someone try my Demo with the cro-motor, it flips upside down.
Those who have the balls to try again, come back with straight hair on their arms. :mrgreen:

Back