In the Netherlands, bike deaths an "issue"

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
"The Netherlands one of safest EU countries for road use, bike deaths an issue"
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archiv...ntries-to-use-the-roads-bike-deaths-an-issue/

Cyclists account for a higher percentage of road deaths in the Netherlands than in any other European country, according to a new report from the European Commission. The report http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-864_en.htm shows that 25% of those who die in a road accident in the Netherlands are cyclists, compared with a European average of 8%. Denmark and Hungary are next on the unsafe cycling list. In both countries, 16% of the people who die in road accidents are cyclists. ‘The differences, of course, mirror the popularity of cycling in different member states but also the safety of bike paths, the safety awareness of cyclists themselves and the awareness among drivers of the safety of surrounding cyclists,’ the Commission said.

‘If you look at the bare facts, then of course you think cycling here is an issue,’ Otto van Boggelen, who works on government cycling policy, told the Telegraaf. ‘But luckily the commission points out that more people cycle here than anywhere else, so the chance of being a victim is higher.’ Distances ‘If your population does not cycle, you don’t run much of a risk of being a victim. It would have been far better if the commission had coupled the number of deaths with the distance actually covered by bike. Then we would have been by far the safest.’ Of the 570 road traffic deaths recorded in the Netherlands in 2014, 185 involved cyclists and cyclists also accounted for half of those seriously injured. ‘This does illustrate that if we want to reduce the number of road deaths, much more attention needs to be paid to cyclists,’ Van Boggelen told the paper. Nevertheless, the Netherlands is also one of the safest EU countries to use the roads, the report shows, with just 28 deaths per one million people. Only Sweden and Malta performed better.

[C]omments there of interest maybe. One:
As being said before, elderly make up the most of the casualities. It is mainly because they either don't see very well, or the increasing number of them riding an electric bicycle which gives them some sorts of fake sense of invincibility (just like the helmets).

Yep, they ride a lot of mileage in the Netherlands
... and they have the coffee shops too :mrgreen:

Mmmmm... Coffee... Mmmmm...

Yah, when EVerybuddy rides an ebike, accidents BOUND to "increase". DUH. So. How many serious "accidents" SAVED by everyone NOT riding in cars??? Much of North America NOT suffering from any lack of exercise by any chance (by NOT having the option of pedaling in transportation)? :evil:

How come some people tend to say that safety equipment makes a person think they are less prone to an accident, thus making them less risk averse? :?

That's like saying that since the number of airbags in my car has gone up with each vehicle that I am more likely to drive recklessly. And that could not be further from the truth! As the years have gone by, my driving stance is much more prudent. In fact, I was much more reckless in my first car and it had beer-can-thick doors, rubber bands for tires, and NO airbags.

cal3thousand said:
In fact, I was much more reckless in my first car and it had beer-can-thick doors, rubber bands for tires, and NO airbags.
I believe that it is age and experience, not safety equipment, that made you a safer driver :wink:

MadRhino said:
cal3thousand said:
In fact, I was much more reckless in my first car and it had beer-can-thick doors, rubber bands for tires, and NO airbags.
I believe that it is age and experience, not safety equipment, that made you a safer driver :wink:

I actually DO believe that lacking seat belts, air bags, "crush zones", etc make the vehicle MORE dangerous for operator ("driver"/"rider") and any occupants, which makes these vehicles inherently safer FOR ALL OTHERS, as riders are more circumspect about their own safety (aka "looking out for Number One").

Three simple Rules for the Road:
1)Don't Trust Others
2)Don't Trust Your Vehicle
3) and mostly, Don't Trust Yourself

hehe

Back