Intro: newbie with homebuilt 700c/brushed motor ebike

PaleRider

10 µW
Hi all.
First Post -- Been lurking around awhile -- thanks for a great resource!

I'm running a pretty tame setup compared to a lot of you. A front drive, brushed crystalyte ("409" wind?) on an old Peugeot 10speed frame. 700c wheels, Low RR 35c tires at about 90psi, single speed freewheel. Everything as salvaged or free as possible. No throttle, just on/off.

I pedal up to a fair speed, switch on, then pedal like hell to keep up.

I've run everything from 36v through to 60v and I'm still experimenting in that regard.

Pretty basic stuff.

I'm getting my batteries free - decommissioned SLAs from the phone/fire/card access/emergency lighting guys at work. It means that things are a little less than consistent, but they are cheap, and that's kind of the name of the game here. I'm hovering around the $300 mark which was my target.

I'm an -ahem- frugal tinkerer. I build all kinds of stuff from tube amps and guitars to hotrods, and now this ebike. If its cheap or free or if I think I can save money, I'll probably do it. This project is primarily about cutting fuel costs.
I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada.

I've got a few questions so I'll start another thread. Mostly I just wanted to do a little into. So there it is. :mrgreen:

Welcome, Paleface.

We (as you know from lurking) embrace the inner-cheapAss residing in every tinkerer.

:mrgreen:

Back