Is there a difference between a same wattage 48v to 60v motor?

kgff

1 W
Will there be a performance/heating/battery consumption difference if I'll upgrade my bldc hub motor from a 1000W 48V to a 1000W 60V, while still using the same 60v battery and 60v controller ?
Is there even any structural difference between same wattage motors with different voltages?

Thanks in advance :bigthumb:

There are too many unspecified variables to give you a definite answer.

If the motors are otherwise identical, it could be that they are wound for different rpm/volt, to compensate for the different voltages.

kgff said:
Will there be a performance/heating/battery consumption difference if I'll upgrade my bldc hub motor from a 100W 48V to a 1000W 60V, while still using the same 60v battery and 60v controller ?
Is there even any structural difference between same wattage motors with different voltages?

Thanks in advance :bigthumb:

I think you meant to type 1000W 48V. If there is a difference then it would be a downgrade not an upgrade, because the current handling capability would be lower. Brushless direct drive hubmotors don't have strict voltage limitations. eg I run a motor used by the factory with 60V battery packs, but I run the identical motor on different ebikes at voltages of 60V, 78V, and 115V. Current handling is the real limitation, and if a 1000W 60V motor is actually different than your 1000W 48V motor then the 60V motor would have a longer thinner amount of copper wound on it's stator teeth. The higher resistance would mean lower current handling. Your 48V motor would be more like a 1200W motor if you run it at 60V.

Balmorhea said:
There are too many unspecified variables to give you a definite answer.

If the motors are otherwise identical, it could be that they are wound for different rpm/volt, to compensate for the different voltages.

John in CR said:
I think you meant to type 1000W 48V. If there is a difference then it would be a downgrade not an upgrade, because the current handling capability would be lower. Brushless direct drive hubmotors don't have strict voltage limitations. eg I run a motor used by the factory with 60V battery packs, but I run the identical motor on different ebikes at voltages of 60V, 78V, and 115V. Current handling is the real limitation, and if a 1000W 60V motor is actually different than your 1000W 48V motor then the 60V motor would have a longer thinner amount of copper wound on it's stator teeth. The higher resistance would mean lower current handling. Your 48V motor would be more like a 1200W motor if you run it at 60V.

wow 60v to 115v is a massive jump, if that's the case I'll keep the current motor
Thanks! I appriciate your support!

Back