Li-ion battery CAN specification

Jonndeka

1 W
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any standard for Li-ion battery CAN specification such as type of signals, message error, number of bits allocated for each message, etc.?

Perhaps you meant LFP Cylindrical CAN Specs ...
Most of your questions the past few days can be answered with some due diligent googling.
Before I asked here I googled but I didn't find what I want.
This is not communication area network (CAN) specification for Li-ion battery! I mean "type of signals, message error, number of bits allocated for each message, etc."
Meanwhile, I'm working on both NMC and LFP cells. Some questions are related to NMC and some related to LFP. Sorry I didn't clarify this issue.

Before I asked here I googled but I didn't find what I want.
This is not communication area network (CAN) specification for Li-ion battery! I mean "type of signals, message error, number of bits allocated for each message, etc."
Meanwhile, I'm working on both NMC and LFP cells. Some questions are related to NMC and some related to LFP. Sorry I didn't clarify this issue.
Your other threads (until recently) were related to balancing cells and measuring capacity differences between your used 14s6p LFP module and your new 14s6p LFP module. Puzzled WHY you now wanted to know how CAN controls either an ebike or EV 'Controller' or a so-called 'SMART' 14S BMS (controller) or a so-called intelligent 14S active equalizing BMS Balance Board (controller).

Apparently the following google source wasn't able to answer your LFP and NMC battery related 'control' BMS question(s for maintaining an acceptable cell balance and cell capacity in your used 7s6p LFP module.

type of signals, message error, number of bits allocated for each message (CAN) - Google Search =UT F-8#ip=1

My canned CAN reply - "LFP Cylindrical CAN Specs"... to see just what it might bring forth - ":unsure:😂😅😅🤣"

Apologize if somehow led you to believe that it's important to know the inner workings of CAN as it may relate to choosing a "Controller" for one's ebike or EV application ...
FWIW ... do you still consider the "nominal" voltage of your used 14s6p LFP modules to be 51.1V as you've posted?

What is just one way you could estimate the "nominal" (50%) capacity (besides HPPC) of your used 14s6p LFP module? Am asking this because nominal capacity is never listed on a datasheet as "nominal" Ah riding range as well as "FULL" resting Ah riding range is determined by several variances depending on each ebiker's 'controlling' routine (e.g. % of throttle assisted vs % of pedal assisted ... etc, etc, etc).

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any standard for Li-ion battery CAN specification such as type of signals, message error, number of bits allocated for each message, etc.?
As far as I know, most companies have different protocols. I don't know of any that are using an openly available standard, except some of those open source BMSs. This is unfortunate, since it means batteries from one manufacturer won't work in a different system, and the DIY crowd often can't use these batteries unless the manufacturer is willing to share their protocol.

Back