Motorcycle/Moped to Electric Ebike Conversion Kit

The rear assembly was taken off of a 2023 Charlie Davison electric moped / eBike (with functional pedals), but should fit all mopeds and most motorcycles (with a swingarm and dual suspension). Since I'm used to eBike and eScooter components, I must say that eMopeds are definitely a performance and quality increase, I'm happy with the setup. I still have the crank and pedal assembly and debating if I should turn either my Honda Ruckus, Honda Dio or something cool into an electric e-bike, making it 100% street legal. It can also be installed on a Honda Hobbit, making it into a tribrid (electric, gas, and pedal assistance). If you got a similar setup, what motorcycle/moped would you convert to an electric bike?

60v 1800w Hub Motor (moped grade)
16x3.0 Rims and Tires (moped/motorcycle grade). white walls will be going on soon!
Front and Rear Drum Brakes (motorcycle/moped grade). works a lot better than my familiar hydro e-bike brakes.
Performance Tunable Inverter (converts 12v-48v battery to 72v, 1-50a, 3500w max).
Tunable eMoped Controller (3500w, 36v to 72v, 10-50a) with an eScooter trigger-style throttle and LCD display.
Moped Forks
48v 17.5ah lithium battery
45 mph at 72v (3500w), although it will be tuned to 28-35 mph at 60v and 30a (1800w).

Complete Kit 1.jpgComplete Kit 2.jpgComplete Rear Wheel Assembly.jpgFront Assembly 1.jpgInverter 48v to 72v 3500w.jpg

Last edited:
The rear assembly was taken off of a 2023 Charlie Davison electric moped / eBike (with functional pedals), but should fit all mopeds and most motorcycles (with a swingarm and dual suspension). Since I'm used to eBike and eScooter components, I must say that eMopeds are definitely a performance and quality increase, I'm happy with the setup. I still have the crank and pedal assembly and debating if I should turn either my Honda Ruckus, Honda Dio or something cool into an electric e-bike, making it 100% street legal. It can also be installed on a Honda Hobbit, making it into a tribrid (electric, gas, and pedal assistance). If you got a similar setup, what motorcycle/moped would you convert to an electric bike?

60v 1800w Hub Motor (moped grade)
16x3.0 Rims and Tires (moped/motorcycle grade). white walls will be going on soon!
Front and Rear Drum Brakes (motorcycle/moped grade). works a lot better than my familiar hydro e-bike brakes.
Performance Tunable Inverter (converts 12v-48v battery to 72v, 1-50a, 3500w max).
Tunable eMoped Controller (3500w, 36v to 72v, 10-50a) with an eScooter trigger-style throttle and LCD display.
Moped Forks
48v 17.5ah lithium battery
45 mph at 72v (3500w), although it will be tuned to 28-35 mph at 60v and 30a (1800w).

View attachment 345432View attachment 345433View attachment 345434View attachment 345435View attachment 345437
Personally, I’d just convert the biggest and cheapest bike I could find within 25 miles.
As far as what I’d like to see someone else do, some classics converted to electric like 60’s Vespas or some of the early motorcycles that were basically motorized bicycles. Might make some enthusiasts mad though.
I don’t know if hub motor conversions like this will be as popular with others though, as a quiet motorcycle just doesn’t seem as appealing. The noise of chain drive, tinkering with sprockets, and occasional oiling with a mid chain drive setup seems like it would be more suited for the stereotypical “motorcycle guy”.

Last edited:
My JDM-Style Honda Elite Moped will most likely to be undergoing conversion because of its compact size, sleek design, and along with being a Honda, I can guarantee that it will last forever as long as I change the oil. The coolest thing is that I'll add working pedals to make it a legitimate e-bike that is allowed on public roads. It won't need to be registered, but I can still register it as a moped; receive a license plate, and legally ride +30mph.

My JDM-Style Honda Elite Moped will most likely to be undergoing conversion because of its compact size, sleek design, and along with being a Honda, I can guarantee that it will last forever as long as I change the oil. The coolest thing is that I'll add working pedals to make it a legitimate e-bike that is allowed on public roads. It won't need to be registered, but I can still register it as a moped; receive a license plate, and legally ride +30mph.
Where are you from? In Florida I’m not sure if it’s even possible to register an ebike as a moped, although it might be easier if it was once a moped with a title.

SiN CiTY! It was already registered in the system as a moped (I own title). If I choose the eBike route, I won't have to register as long as I don't exceed the 28 mph eBike speed limit and have functioning pedals. The police have the right to stop me, issue a ticket, and even take my bike away if they catch me riding faster than 30 mph.

SiN CiTY! It was already registered in the system as a moped (I own title). If I choose the eBike route, I won't have to register as long as I don't exceed the 28 mph eBike speed limit and have functioning pedals. The police have the right to stop me, issue a ticket, and even take my bike away if they catch me riding faster than 30 mph.
Gotcha, it’s the same here for an eBike in Florida and most states I believe. Still interested in what the process of registering it as a moped would be like; I doubt they’d have to do anything as it would be essentially the same as it was before just electric. Would there be much of an advantage anyways? I believe a moped is limited to 30mph on a flat road and a bit faster downhill which really isn’t a huge difference

.... even take my bike away if they catch me riding faster than 30 mph
Not likely confiscate. Well above 30 mph?... they're more likely to call it a "motorcycle", and cite for any violations discovered related to same (license, registration, insurance, etc. JMO

Not likely confiscate. Well above 30 mph?... they likely call it a "motorcycle", and cite for any violations discovered related to same (license, registration, insurance, etc. JMO
I guess it depends on where you live. If you ride a motorcycle/moped without plates on public roads in my city, its an automatic impound, unless the Copper is chill.

Still interested in what the process of registering it as a moped would be like
No benefits to registering it as a moped except that I can ride it at 35 mph and wont need the pedals. Because its in the DMV, it doesn't require a (vin) inspection. I can also apply for a new title and change it to "electric" without any issues or inspection.
I used to ride my gas moped at 35 to 40 mph without ever getting pulled over. In my city, there was no requirement to register a moped before the year 2017. I could be wrong, but I don't think they care about the speed limit anymore now that registration is mandatory for moped.

Edit: I may consider a hybrid if I can locate a suitable lightweight moped with the chain and sprocket on the correct side (right). A Cafe Racer (CB200) style hybrid was always a dream of mine as a young buck during the Zombie Apocalypses days, lol. Electric for stealth, gas for range and top speed.

Last edited:
Back