Programming a Kelly controller for a BBSHD?

thender

100 mW
I have a kelly controller lying around, and I wanted to try it out with a BBSHD. Not to its full potential, probably limited to 40-50 amps once set up.

The only setting I've messed with so far is to allow it to be used with a different throttle type, and limiting the current to 10 amps so that nothing blows up in the testing phases. Without the chain attached, it was spinning pretty slow while taking ten amps, yet you could see small puffs of smoke come from the motor core and it was pretty hot.

I am guessing one of two things is possible

a) The stock programing for the KLS7230S is significantly miscalibrated/misconfigured for a BBSHD
b) I've got a bad controller.

I searched the forum and best I could find were a mention here and here, but it didn't sound like the stock configuration would cause slow speed and smoking. and this, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. I feel bad asking what is essentially a plzbro question without searching, but searching hasn't led me to anything.. which means likely no one here is as ignorant as I am. :(

Is there any reference material/documentation suggested to supplement what is in the manual to help someone who is a noob to pair a brushless controller w/ hall sensor to a motor?

Sounds like incorrect phase/hall timing. I don't really see why it shouldn't work if connected properly. No load current shouldn't be much higher than a couple of amps.

As a noob, I am looking at investigating this problem by comparing & contrasting settings from an ASI controller that works with this motor, to the Kelly that doesn't - is this a good way to go about learning & tracking down my fault?

Here's a screen of how the Kelly is set up, stock, and below it is a list of parameters from the ASI BAC800 working on a BBSHD. Is there anything here that reeks of being too far off? I am going through each one, one by one now after posting this.

Kelly 7230S parameters(not working properly)
kellysettings.png

ASI BAC800 parameters(working with BBSHD)

Code:

With no load, the motor should take less than 2A. I agree it sounds like the hall and phase matching is off.

There is a topic for this in the technical reference area.

Thanks. Auto identify doesn't seem to even try and run on this, so off to the races myself.

I looked it up in the manual and Kelly calls it Hall A, B, and C. On the BBSHD hall sensor board it is called Hall 1, 2, and 3.

I made the assumption that

Hall A Kelly ---> Hall 1 Bafang
Hall B Kelly ---> Hall 2 Bafang
Hall C Kelly ---> Hall 3 Bafang

I'm sticking with that for now!

The phase wire coloring could be off. I thought Yellow, Blue, Green was standard - and I learned from reading some threads in the technical reference area there is no standard and this is used willy nilly. Wow. I didn't know that. I learned something! Thank you.

The Kelly KLS7230 manual lists Yellow as U, Green as V, and Blue as W. I was hoping to find some sort of documentation for the BBSHD that would allow me to match the U, V, and W, but no dice so far. At least now I know something I didn't know before - phase wire colors have no standard between brands. The next step on my hunt -

I found this thread which mentions the colors & configuration that is known good on a Lyen controller - a hah, I thought. If I find a manual to this, and figure out which is U, V, and W, then I can figure out what colors should be used on the Kelly to the BBSHD! Alas, the only manual I found for the Lyen labels them Phase A, Phase B, and Phase C Rather than U, V, and W. So it isn't going to be that easy. :( Agh.

I'm closer, though!

Thank you again for the kind prod in the right direction.

I went through something similar getting my BBS02 working with a grinfineon controller. I can't remember the details but the wire colors didn't match up, one set was swapped but I can't remember which ones.

Back