Protanium Voltage/Controller Questions (24V to 36V upgrade?)

chapmar

1 µW
I recently bought a Kilowatt bike (26" commuter model) on deep discount from theclymb. I am looking for information on the type of motor that is used on this bike, and the potential for increasing the voltage/speed of the electric assist. This is a 2010 model with a front hub motor (not the newer Bionx models). This is a Protanium motor/controller/battery and the specs say 24V 250W max. The battery is 24V 10Ah LiPoMn. I am not able to find any markings on the motor.

The controller is labeled as follows:
Ananda
2414DLL-3LAT0
JC8CN19SCO-2
SN: D38L / 04.43
And there is a round sticker on the back of the controller that says 24V.

I can upload some photos of any of the components if this will help with identifying them.

Most reports that I've read on this form and other places on the web about Protanium units says that they are built with Tongxin motors. So, the first question is, what type of motor does this thing have, and where can I find technical specs for it? A motor output chart would be awesome.

Next, what are my best options for increasing the top speed of the assist? From my limited testing, it appears that the motor tops out at around 15 mph on the flats/downhills. I am commuting about 17 miles one way, and I will be pedaling the whole time. As it stands, the motor helps on dead starts and up steep hills, but I quickly get above its top speed on flats and even slight uphills. In short, I want to decrease my commute time even more than the stock configuration will let me. The stock assist level on moderate hills is fine for me. I mainly need more rpms on the top end.

So, is there any way to keep the existing battery and change the controller to allow more amps to pass to the motor?
Can I move to a 36V battery with my existing controller (or will that likely fry the controller or motor)?
Should I get another controller and battery that are rated to 36V (or will that likely fry the motor)?

I've tried searching the forums for guidance on this, but I haven't had luck finding the answers I'm looking for. Please feel free to point me to any posts that I may have missed!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Chapmar

The motor may be able handle just a tiny bit more power but you're going to have to replace the controller and battery.
With bikes like these, it is always best to sell them, get your money back, and spend that money ( you will probably have some left over ) to build a real ebike with good power.

The reason is that the individual components are worth diddly squat and the bike is worth a lot as a whole.

What did you spend on this bike?

Also, it would help if you posted pictures of the components in question. There are hundreds of ebike manufacturers out there.

neptronix said:
What did you spend on this bike?

I paid $710 shipped. It has a shimano nexus 7-speed internal-geared rear hub, which is pretty sweet. I also like that the rear rack is welded to the frame.

I've uploaded a stock photo of the bike and a photo of the bottom of the controller, but I'll try to take some closeups of the motor tonight and upload them.

Thanks,
Chapmar

Attachments

• Commuter.JPG
    Commuter.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,460
I did not see a response on this.

I was curious how this product turned out for you. The deal is back up on theclymb, but I can't find any info on these bikes and was hoping you could provide a bit.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Back