Rear-Loading under deck battery mod Mongoose Envoy

What tires are those?
I'm interested as well. They look pretty wide for 2.5, and the options are getting even slimmer for wider 24" knobby tires. I bought a few extra 24x2.8 tires a few years ago, and just mounted the last ones. The Specialized Big Roller I have on back is pretty hard to get now without spending a bunch on shipping, and the CST Fringe is only good for the front, since they wear out at around 1k miles when on the back (but lasted 5k when on the front, although completely bald at that point).

The 24x3 Duro DH and Razorback, or the 24x3 Halo Contra are likely my next tires, and those are rare and expensive as well, so a wide 2.5 might work.

Nice!
What tires are those?
Thanks! Those are Benno Boost knobby tires for the Benno Boost. They say 24 x 2.5 on the sidewall, but that is the measurement of just the casing. They are more like 2.6 or 2.7 in size in reality.

I'm interested as well. They look pretty wide for 2.5, and the options are getting even slimmer for wider 24" knobby tires. I bought a few extra 24x2.8 tires a few years ago, and just mounted the last ones. The Specialized Big Roller I have on back is pretty hard to get now without spending a bunch on shipping, and the CST Fringe is only good for the front, since they wear out at around 1k miles when on the back (but lasted 5k when on the front, although completely bald at that point).

The 24x3 Duro DH and Razorback, or the 24x3 Halo Contra are likely my next tires, and those are rare and expensive as well, so a wide 2.5 might work.

Whenever I see people doing all these nice-looking 3D-printed parts, I tend to feel embarassed at my hacked-together brackets/etc for all my various DIY projects. :oops:

Whenever I see people doing all these nice-looking 3D-printed parts, I tend to feel embarassed at my hacked-together brackets/etc for all my various DIY projects. :oops:
Not every part needs to look nice! If a part serves it's intended purpose then there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I created some ugly as sin stove knobs that are still in place years later because they work. Printed in PLA even, and still holding up to daily abuse.

I dunno...have you seen my CrazyBike2 or SB Cruiser? :lol: :oops:

(other builds, no longer around, were even cruder--you should've seen the DayGlo Avenger and Delta T(r)ipper!)

I've been proud that my misuse and repurposing worked, but not really of the way they look. :cautious:

I've never done 3D printing (many years ago I scratchbuilt and/or kitbashed sci fi models and ugly guns, but nothing was truly custom-made for them like that), my brackets, adapters, etc are all "found" items repurposed for things never intended by their designers. (my brain constantly evaluates everything I see for what I could use it for, rather than for what it is)

IMG_6326.jpg

First time printing ABS on my Sidewinder X1. It doesn't have a heated build chamber, but it is in a small closet. Hope that's good enough. And it is so freaking hot in the San Gabriel Valley right now I can just open the window to warm up the room ambient to 100F.

Nozzle: 245C
Bed: 100C

eSun ABS+ black

Fingers crossed!

Bring it over here and you can print outside in 110-120F ambient.

Leave it in the direct sun and you can turn off power to the printhead's heater element. :lol:

IMG_6327.jpg

Final part installed. ABS+ prints are very strong! This could double duty as a handle to lift the rear end of the bike.

IMG_6328.jpg

The bamboo runners have arrived!

Excellent, thanks! I'll probably end up ordering 3 of these, but a 99 cent O-ring, to get the free shipping (same cost as 2 tires). Before I hit the buy button, do you have a feel for how many miles you can get on these tires?

Excellent, thanks! I'll probably end up ordering 3 of these, but a 99 cent O-ring, to get the free shipping (same cost as 2 tires). Before I hit the buy button, do you have a feel for how many miles you can get on these tires?
I can't really provide an accurate estimate on that, no. But the rubber is very thick. Here is a comparison of the Benno road tire after 700 miles:

Screenshot 2023-08-31 130611.png
Brand new

de66b3ce-img_0151benno.jpg
After 700 miles of mixed terrain.

Looks like you can expect at least 1000 miles from the street tires and probably much more from the chunky knobbies.

Something to note is that *usually* tires that last longer have less stickiness, which offroad doesn't really matter but on pavement it can (especially since there is less contact patch engagement area on knobbies than non-knobbies, all else the same).

IMG_6329.jpg
The running boards are attached to the beam with shrinkwrapped stainless strap clamps.

IMG_6330.jpg
Looking good from the top.

IMG_6332.jpg
Installed on the Envoy!

IMG_6333.jpg
IMG_6331.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg

Thanks! Seatpost is a suntour NCX. If I could find a super robust 24" 100mm suspension cargo bike rated fork, I might be interested. I'm running 24" wheels which gives me a little more room without effecting geometry too much.
All my butts get the Suntour.

envoy2kwh.jpg

2kWh/40Ah adventure mode. 52V 20Ah in the triangle, and 52V 20Ah under the deck. Should be good for 60 miles no problem.

Great job on all the modifications.

I’m with you on batteries incorporated into racks. It’s the neatest location.

P.s. I noticed something that I figured must be a photo playing tricks with shadows, but then checked against another photo you’d posted, and it depicts the same thing - drive side chainstay weld cracked nearly clean through at the dropout.

IMG_6511.jpegIMG_6512.jpegIMG_6513.jpegIMG_6514.jpeg
@glennb I’ve inspected my frame and can find no cracks or breaks anywhere. Can you circle where you found a crack?

Back