Satiator programming cable circuit

gertjan

10 µW
Hello,

Came home the other day, plugged in my bike to the Satiator (Rev 1.X) only to find it appears to have lost all its profiles, including the default ones (basically the only ones I use). I wrote grin but then figured I should *just* try to reprogram it. I have a baserunner USB/TTL cable from Grin. So all I needed is the wiring between the audio plug and the satiator XLR. Easy. But it doesnt work.

So here is the info I started with.

1. according to various drawings I see, the connection from stereo plug are (base to tip) : GND: 5V : TX : RX.

2. Justin posted this a long time ago: ( The Cycle Satiator, universal charger for the enthusiasts )

XLR TRS
---- ----
1 No Connection
2 base - black wire
3 tip - green wire, middle ring - red wire via 1K resistor

Unfortunately, Justin did not say whether green or red are TX or RX. However... I am going to make an educated guess that the TX input is low impedance and RX high, so a 1K resistor would make sense on the TX line. Something similar is written here: https://www.analog.com/en/technical-articles/using-a-uart-to-implement-a-1wire-bus-master.html

When I plugged the cable into a USB port, I indeed measured 5V relative to GND where I expect it but 2.5V on the TX and 3.3V on the RX. But that doesnt mean much. So I connected GND to XLR pin 2. I connected a 1K resistor between TX and pin 3. RX (tip of stereo plug) straight to PIN 3.

Unfortunately, with the Satiator firmware upload installed both on my Win 10 as well as Ubuntu 22.04 machine, it doesnt connect to the Satiator (in Bootload PC connect mode obviously).

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong ? Does anyone know exactly the schematic of the various Satiator connector plugs that Grin sells which are intended to connect to the USB/TTL cable ?

Much appreciated

Gertjan

update: I am sloppy with my plug nomenclature. The programming cable is TRRS of course but since I am ignore the +5V, i referred to it as a 'stereo' plug.

Last edited:
I was up half the night, two days ago trying to sort out grin's ttl cable plug for a CA, so I feel you're pain.
Finally I got the log dump working on the TTL level but it ended up being a trial and error at the end when I was too tired to think or gd forbid open up the CA.
I can confirm that at least on the CA, the Rx does not need a resistor.
I'm still working on getting a gps input into the CA through the red wire on the TPS cable but I hadn't heard about the resistor; maybe that will help.
(I had an open circuit 5v+ on the green wire and it ended up being the Rx, just saying...)

I have a grin programming cable for CA/Satiator and it is a TRRS plug; 3 wires plus ground.
More common is the TRS cable for the CA only.

If I sound a bit confused, it's because I am :)

Last edited:
Okay, just for the record. ... I got the TTL/USB TRRS order wrong: it is GND: 5V : RX:TX (base to tip and signals from the pespective of the host, the USB). I was correct about the 1K ohm then connecting TX to the pin 3 on the XLR.
With that, connecting *might* have worked. But by that time I had bought one of their Satiator adaptor cables which has the female TRRS. Even then, connecting to reprogram it was flaky- multiple attempts, reboots of the satiator and having to update to the latest version of firmware. Anyway, in the end, it updated and I managed to reprogram all the default profiles. Its back in action....

Attached the schematic from Grin

Attachments

• Satiator XLR Adapters with TRS jack schematic.pdf
    387.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back