Sell my urban ebike and build new from scratch??

wdwrkr51

100 mW
Friends and fellow enthusiasts: I'd like a quick poll to help me decide.

I have a perfectly functioning front wheel drive 60-volt 20" bmx/urban ebike conversion, (featured here in the general discussion thread and also in the e-bike testing and review thread) which I am in the midst of converting to rear wheel drive. This requires a new frame, new fork, and the exchange of one side cover on the Ampedbikes/9C direct drive motor. I am also going to a new Lyen 72 volt controller, front disc brake and front suspension fork, etc. The new frame and fork are ready, and I am standing hesitantly at the point of no return.

Point is, I am really bugged about tearing apart something I put together that functions so well. I could afford to sell this bike w/o the battery pack for not much more than the cost of a new rear drive motor kit, (less than $500) and somebody else could be riding high on the electric bike groundswell of pleasure. IF anyone would be interested in buying???

On the other hand, I could simply proceed by removing the motor from the old frame, exchange the side cover and convert to rear wheel drive, then finish the new frame into a complete 72 volt urban bike. This would be quicker, but I'd be stuck with 90% of the old bike and no use for it.

What should I do? Anyone out there interested? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Wdwrkr51

Selling used is always a loosing proposition if you're looking to get close to what you paid, however, you might look at the for sale section and see if someone has a rear amped motor they would trade, or just sell your left-over parts there individually.

Personally I would keep the front motor and buy a rear rather than just a case for the motor, because if you sell a functioning bike even used, you're going to have a better chance of selling it VS a used kit.

Just think of it this way, even though the used value of most things is close to 50% of new, it's less stuff that you will have just lying around collecting dust, or just leave it together as a second bike for a friend to ride with you. :)

Hey, LightCycle, thanks for chiming in.

That's only part of the issue: I'm not really trying to get back all I spent setting the bike up, just the cost of the rear DD kit and maybe the lights :D I just hate tearing down a really good bike that is already set up and running. It has well proven itself as a practical machine. I think maybe I'd rather sell it as a whole rather than part it out.

wdwrkr51

Hey, Rassy:

Thanks for your reply. Yep, space is an issue, but I have an answer.

The standard spacing for a front fork is 100 mm between the dropouts. The standard ampedbikes/9C Direct Drive front mount motor is set up for that 100 mm spacing.

In another post on this forum I mentioned purchasing a (right) side cover for a 9C DD motor. It is all-but-identical to my original cover, but is threaded to receive a freewheel and sprocket. Using only a single speed freewheel, there is (barely) enough room on the front axle for the single speed setup WHEN USING A BMX FRAME. :)

A BMX frame is only 110 mm between the dropouts vs. the 135 mm spacing on a standard frame. This means I can get the front mount motor to fit the rear dropouts on the BMX frame! Woo-hoo!

wdwrkr51

You know what I'll recomend. Two functioning ebikes. More money of course.

Hey, Dogman;

I look to your posts, more than any other on this forum, for reasonable, thoughtful, considerate and practical insights into our chosen hobby activities. I always appreciate your input. Thank You! Just wanted you to know.......

wdwrkr51

Aww shucks. Of course, nothing wrong with rebuilding your bike as many times as you feel like, and trying everything.

I sure as heck have done that about 15 times myself. :D My wife just wishes I liked doing the dishes as much as I like farting around in the garage with bikes. For awhile there, every weekend I came home with a new bike from the flea, and either stripped it for parts or moved one of my motors over to it.

OK, after much consideration, I have decided to order a rear-drive amped bike kit for my new BMX frame. I'm going to hang on to the original front wheel drive "urban bike" in fully functioning condition for now. I will figure out what to do with it later. There will be a delay of several weeks, as AmpedBikes is out of the 20" rear drive motor kits, but they are already on order. I have pre-ordered one to be shipped when the next batch comes in.

I just couldn't make myself tear down something that was functioning so well, and so reliably, just to build something else quite similar. Hey, it is only money :D

wdwrkr51

Back