starting a new build hobby king lipo 6s

so im looking to build a very basic hobby king pack from 6s lipo turnigy packs basically
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9176__Turnigy_5000mAh_6S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html these x4

i want to run 2 batteries in par then the other 2 in par then take both sets of par and series them for 44.4 volts at 10 ah

to charge i would be using http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6478__IMAX_B6_AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
aleast two of these i would break down my pack into single bricks charge 2 at a time i have a old outdoorgrill that i think will do nice for charging in case of fire also im going to purchase some fire resistant lipo bags

i know there are better chargers but im doing this on a very tight budget the most i can spend is 150 or so every pay day so 2 batteries one check a charger the next ect feel free to look over this and let me know if i have over looked anything

also this is for a ebay kit 1000 watt 48 volt setup

a 10ah 12s battery pack is 444wh. That's a 50W charger. So divided 444 by 50 to get an approximate time it will take to charge your pack. Now consider spending $100 for a 300W 12s charger that will charge the pack in under 2 hours without having to take it apart every time you charge. Find an old computer PSU with a 35A 12V output to use for a power source.

It will work.

Although Wes is right... You may want to upgrade to a bit more powerful charger if you will be using it as a daily commuter. That B6 charger is a good one, but I use mine for smaller packs and single cells.

Just understand you're probably looking at a 10 hour charging routine. That's a long time to sit with a battery. The grill is a good idea, just be sure to leave the lid open.
That charger would be best used charging 1 pack at a time. Charging lipo too slow can be as bad as charging too fast, for different reasons. It will take about the same amount of time to charge, but each cell will get a better charge that way.

Save your self some money by skipping the lipo bags. they work on small batteries, but these packs are too big. They might just make the problem worse by keeping you from seeing the trouble before they blow up.

Use the money you save to invest in a second charger eventually. Or save longer and buy a real charger.

Another possible option though not as good as a bigger power supply for the RC charger is a bulk charger to top up the batteries and then finish balance charging with the RC charger. It is a lot easier to just hook up the whole pack program and charge with a higher wattage RC charger though. :p
A lot of times I bulk charge my 12s lipo pack with 10 amps after having checked all the cells and then balance charge the whole pack.

Back