The Oregon Manifest Constructor’s Design Challenge Sept23,24

Lock

100 MW
http://oregonmanifest.com/challenge/
We’re looking for the ultimate utility bike for modern living!

The Oregon Manifest Constructor’s Design Challenge is a one-of-a-kind design/build competition, in which some of the country’s best custom bike craftsman and select student teams vie to create the ultimate modern utility bike.

Our mission is threefold
FIRST, to inspire and foster real design innovation around a bike that recognizes the needs of modern living. SECOND, to celebrate and champion the resurgence of American craft—bicycle craft in particular. THIRD, to show riders and enthusiasts that a well-crafted bicycle isn’t just for sport and recreation, but can also be a tool integrating seamlessly into everyday life.

Why a utility bike?
The two-wheeled revolution won’t come on the saddle of a race bike or a specialty bike. The utility bike is the transportation mode of the future for millions of Americans who want to live healthier, more sustainable lives, but don’t think of themselves as “cyclists.” The key to realizing this future is thoughtful, innovative bike design that fills multiple needs and fits into their lives.

2011 CONSTRUCTOR’S DESIGN CHALLENGE DESIGN CRITERIA SPECIFICATIONS

All entries: points are awarded in three groups of points potential.
Student entries: points will be skewed heavily toward ideation rather than fabrication.
Prizes awarded to Best of Show, 2nd Place, 3rd Place entries and two honorable 
mentions, along with the winning student entry.
Builders and student teams will have a 3-minute opportunity to present their work and design solutions to the judging panel.
Winning entries as well as the three design firm/builder Creative Collaboration bikes will remain in the temporary possession of Oregon Manifest through the remainder of 2011 and become part of the Oregon Manifest bike design exhibition.

DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
Mandatory Features

All entry bikes must possess the following everyday features. Entries that lack any of these features will be deemed invalid.

Anti-Theft System
Fender System
Lighting System (seeing and being seen)
Load-Carrying System
Freestanding Under Load (while parked) System

GROUP 1
True Innovation: The Heart of the Constructor’s Design Challenge.
Genuinely unique, innovative and valid solutions in:

Function
Material
Technology
Adapability to different environments, situations, and lifestyles.

GROUP 2
Design and Execution.
Quality of design, feature integration and final execution should be exceptional.

Integration: Individual design solutions and features should be integrated into a complete,
 harmonious aesthetic and functional whole, rather than a checklist of details. Each design element/feature should meld seamlessly with the entire bike.
Quality of Execution: Fabrication refinement and quality of execution should be evident 
in each detail.
Aesthetics and Curb Appeal: Bikes should reflect fresh, new, and original thought 
appropriate to a modern audience. Bikes should visually attract viewers.

GROUP 3
Functionality: The Field Test
The Constructor’s Design Challenge calls for functional design solutions. A bike’s ability to 
perform well on and be equipped for the varying terrain of the Field Test is essential. The Field Test route could include urban scenes, dirt roads, asphalt, gravel, hills, and stairs.

Anti-Theft System: System should prove to be secure and easy to use.
Lighting System: System should aid vision and create visibility on the road.
Load-Carrying System: Entries must carry a variety of loads through a variety of conditions on-course. System should accommodate a small bag of groceries, an oversized postal box, poster tube, and/or a six-pack of beverage containers.
Freestanding Under Load System: Bike must freestand under a variety of loads on a variety of surfaces.
Fender System: Fender system must keep bike and rider clean.
Post-ride Condition: Bikes should complete the Field Test with no resulting loose, inoperable, or broken elements. All mandatory features should emerge in excellent condition and bike should be rattle-free.

Contest Terms and Conditions

2011 Timeline
February 3: Contest registration opens for all entries
February 17: Deadline for entries by Contestants that placed in the top 12 in the 2009 Constructor’s Design Challenge
March 10: Deadline for entries by new Contestants
September 23: 8 am deadline for submission of all Constructor’s Design Challenge entries for pre-judging, Deadline for submission of Creative Collaboration display bicycles
September 24: Field Test, and post Field Test assessment, Awards Gala – Winners Announced
October 3: Online People’s Choice winner announced (Creative Collaboration bikes), Constructor’s Design Challenge Audience Favorite announced

Entry Fee
$300 per Student Team. Limited to one team entry per institution.
$300 per Single Builder Entry or Team Collaboration (participating organizations must have less than 10 employees total).
$500 per Builder Entry or Team Collaboration (participating organizations have over 10 employees total)

Note: Contestants that are members of a Team Collaboration may not submit separate entries as individual contestants and may not serve as members of any other competing Team Collaboration. However, Custom Bicycle Builder or Professional Designer contestants may serve as advisors to any student team.

Entry fees can be paid online at OregonManifest.com or via check.
Mail Entry Fee checks, payable to Oregon Manifest.

Entry fees are non-refundable.

Eligibility

The 2011 Constructor’s Design Challenge is open to independent bicycle frame manufacturers who offer bespoke made-to-order, custom geometry bicycle frame options to their customer base.

Custom frame builders may enter the Contest individually, on behalf of a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporate entity in which they are affiliated as an owner, partner or employee.

Custom frame builders may enter the Contest in collaboration with a fiscal patron/sponsor or design collaborator.

Student Category – The 2011 Constructor’s Design Challenge Student Category is open to invited student teams working with advisors in industrial design or design programs within U.S. based academic institutions. Student team entries are limited to one student team entry per institution. Student teams may procure a professional bicycle frame builder to act as an advisor in the Competition. Student Contestants must be enrolled at an accredited U.S. university, college, or community college, on at least a half-time basis.

The student category is intended to encourage young designers to develop new ideas and thinking around the lifestyle bicycle. The intent behind allowing students to partner with a frame builder/advisor is to help students to bring their best ideas to fruition — professional frame builder/advisors should not execute the largest percentage of the work.

General Eligibility – Oregon Manifest reserves the right to determine whether Contestants are eligible to participate in the Competition. Contestants must be at least 18 years of age to participate in the Competition. Competition judges, as well as their children, parents, spouses, or co-habitants, are ineligible for participation in the Contest. Oregon Manifest reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant or any Contestant team.

Original Bicycle Design
Contestants must submit original utility bicycle designs that reflect their honest, creative efforts. Contestants may not submit bicycles that copy designs of others, even if expressly permitted. Contestants may submit bicycles that they have created or designed at any time in the past. However, for any bicycle that was submitted in the 2009 Oregon Manifest Competition, more than 30% of the new entry for the 2011 Competition must be dramatically modified. Oregon Manifest shall retain the right, in its sole discretion, to determine and decide whether any submitted bicycle design meets the original design requirement.

Submission of Entries
Contestants must deliver completed utility bicycles to Oregon Manifest Contest site at the Pacific Northwest College of Art on or before 8:00 am, Friday September 23, 2011 (the “Delivery Date”). Eligible bicycles must be fully completed, equipped, and outfitted; and ready for immediate use and testing. Contestants may conduct basic maintenance on their entries after the Delivery Date, however, under no circumstances may Contestants make further changes or alterations in bicycle construction or design after the Delivery Date. Excluding repairs for flat tires, Contestants may not conduct basic maintenance on their entries during the Field Test without prior approval from Oregon Manifest.

Disqualification
Entries failing to arrive at the Pacific Northwest College of Art by the designated 8:00 am check-in time on Friday, September 23rd, will be turned away – no exceptions! 2009 entries may not be resubmitted unless more than 30% of the entry has been dramatically modified; changes in paint color, components and/or accessories do not qualify as a dramatic modification. Entries failing to address the mandatory features criteria set forth in the official “2011 Oregon Manifest Constructor’s Design Challenge Design Criteria” will be disqualified. A violation of the restrictions on display of Logos and Brands on entry bicycles, as described in Section 9 below, shall be grounds for automatic disqualification.

Entries must be functional and must be ridden the full length of the Field Test portion of the Contest by the respective custom frame builder, member of the collaborating team, student team or a designated partner cyclist. Entries will be disqualified if they are not submitted to or do not perform in the Field Test portion of the Contest.

During the Field Test, riders will not be allowed to carry any tools aside from tire levers used to change a flat. Should a rider need technical assistance on course, the official Field Test ride support will supply the rider with the necessary tools. All technical assistance will be documented and reported to the panel upon completion of the Field Test. Technical assistance needed to address a loose or faulty entry feature may result in point deduction. Entries that do not complete the Field Test for any reason, including rider crashes or illness, will be disqualified.

Failure to comply with the present Terms and Conditions, or any other misleading, deceptive, or unfair or unsportsmanlike conduct shall be grounds for disqualification. All bicycles entered into the contest are subject to verification and will be disqualified if they are determined to be copies of pre-existing designs created by the Contestant or others, or if any Contestant or Contestant Team member has engaged in unfair conduct in the course of the Competition.

Tampering with or altering any bicycle submitted to the Competition by any other competing Contestant or team, in any way, is grounds for automatic disqualification. Any misrepresentation of a Contestant’s status or eligibility, or any other misrepresentation of material facts made to influence or manipulate the Competition in any way is also grounds for automatic disqualification.

NOTE: Contestants agree and acknowledge that Oregon Manifest shall have the sole and express discretion to disqualify any bicycle, Contestant, or team, at any time, for any of the reasons described in this section. If disqualified, Contestant agrees to return any prizes or consideration awarded to him or her during the course of the Competition and agrees to not misrepresent his or her status as an eligible Contestant or as a winner in the Competition.

Judging Process
Stage One: Entry Review
The panel, as a team, will evaluate all entries for general compliance to the design criteria. A representative for each entry will be given the opportunity to present their design solutions to the panel in 3 minutes or less.

Stage Two: Criteria Rating
Individual panelists will rate each entry based on a point system for the design criteria. Quality of execution and craftsmanship will be weighted differently for the Student Category; the point system for student entries will be heavily skewed in favor of creativity over fabrication execution.

Panelists will evaluate entries individually during Stage Two of the jury process.
Rate sheets will be submitted to a designated Oregon Manifest moderator. Criteria points will be tallied by the moderator, and math further verified. Results will be kept confidential until the awards gala.

Stage Three: Field Test
All entries will be subjected to the Field Test. Panelists will evaluate bike performance / user experience en route. Field Test conditions may include:

A 50+/- mile course
Off and on road terrain
Hills of varying grades and steep grades
Sharp curves
Check points testing mandatory features
Portaging of a small bag of groceries, and/or an oversized postal box and/or poster tube, and/or a six-pack of beverage containers
The Field Test route will not be disclosed to any of the Oregon Manifest event organizers that are not directly involved in its execution, sponsors, or entrants prior to the public opening, September 23, 2011. The Field Test route will be created by a third party ride organizer selected by Oregon Manifest.

Stage Four: Post Ride Evaluation
Upon completion of the Field Test, each entry will be reviewed by the panel as a team. The panel will consider the final condition of the entry, rattling, and any necessary technical support supplied to the rider during the Field Test, and possibly re-evaluate mandatory features. This will be the final evaluation to determine the winning entries.

Awards
Best In Show
2nd Place
3rd Place
4th Honorable Mention
5th Honorable Mention
Best Student Team Entry
Online Audience Favorite Award
Voting for this award will be conducted online after the open category winners are announced, and is open to the public. Each person may only vote once. No prizes, other than acknowledgement of voting results, will be given for this award.
People’s Choice Award : Creative Collaboration Bikes only
Voting for this award will be conducted online. No prizes, other than acknowledgement of voting results, will be given for this award.
Oregon Manifest will announce corresponding prizes prior to the 2011 Awards Gala.
Design Criteria
All entrants, including student teams, as well as the three Creative Collaboration partners will work from the 2011 Oregon Manifest Constructor’s Design Challenge Design Criteria.

Logos and Brands on Entry Bicycles
The fundamental spirit of the Oregon Manifest Constructor’s Design Challenge is to encourage and celebrate the creativity of the independent Contestant bike builders, not third party sponsors. Accordingly, entry bicycles and accessories may ONLY bear the logos or brands of Contestants’ respective companies that they manage or own. Excluding pre-printed standard manufacturer markings found on stock parts, any other (sponsor) logos and brands may appear ONLY on the right side chainstay, and must be limited in size to .5 inches in height and 6.0 inches in width.

Violation of this rule shall be grounds for disqualification from the Contest.

Seen here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-20077018-235/designing-the-ultimate-utility-bike/

LocK

http://oregonmanifest.com/challenge/

*** EDIT *** Here are some pics of the winner! (omg ... AJ is never gonna let frock motors live this one down ... why did it have to be PINK TOO!?!?!? :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol: )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/6180369634/in/set-72157627611351761/

6175172367_a88c283b5d.jpg

6175190419_c21b139cc5.jpg

6175191949_2ddcaa6095.jpg

WOW!!!! I guess this might be one of the first "main stream" acknowledgements of the utility of E-Bikes in the general public, I just read about this in the Sunday Oregonian. :D

Here is a link to the only news story I have found about this year's contests:

http://bikeportland.org/2011/09/23/oregon-manifest-entries-revealed-wow-59528

Not many photos available yet, but here is a bike the winner of the contest sold to help fund building his winning E-Bike, it has a pretty clean look, well thought-out practical design, (he won in 2009 as well) and an interesting integrated U-Lock with Krytonite lock mechanism built into the stem! 8)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pereiracycles/5224456735/in/set-72157625509993302/

Here is the bike that won the 2009 Oregon Manifest Builders Challenge, note that this challenge isn't about bling, but practicality including theft protection, fenders and the like, and the route taken from Banks Oregon to Portland, is a test of this, as it has gravel roads and such to test the true utility of the bike design.

Here is another article on the Oregon Manifest challenge, seems there isn't going to be much available on the web until Tuesday (unless someone leaks a pic or two ... c'mon you can share with us! we'll keep it nice and secret, just us and 1,000,000 close friends! :mrgreen: ) when they display the winning designs at the Museum of Contemporary Craft

Needs pepto bismal endorsement but it looks to be fairly practical with a nice size chainring. Weird attachment of the upper frame?

Main reason I'm posting - can someone tell me where to find that battery housing? I've seen 'em around over the years - generic bionx it appears but can't find it when need it.

Ykick said:
Needs pepto bismal endorsement but it looks to be fairly practical with a nice size chainring. Weird attachment of the upper frame?

Main reason I'm posting - can someone tell me where to find that battery housing? I've seen 'em around over the years - generic bionx it appears but can't find it when need it.

ROFLOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made me laugh so hard on that one Y-guy, I almost fell outta my chair!! :mrgreen:

neptronix said:
Freaking portland.

I'm guessing since his last bike was blue, he didn't want to tick off too many that were offended by the "overtly male only" color of last years bike. :roll: :lol:

I gotta say though, WOW, check out this bike with a folding side-car cargo platform! Very neat idea!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/6175608983/in/set-72157627611351761/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/6175609771/in/set-72157627611351761/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/6176139318/in/set-72157627611351761/

(Dang rights protection won't let me directly link it here ... :roll: )

Someone a while ago posted a bizzarre video from Japan with a bike that had a dildo that would pump up and out of the seat (into the riders turd cutter) - i think that pink bike deserves such an attachment.

You are right - AJ will have a field day with this.

Well, that just means we might start seeing pink curry bikes at Wal-Mart with battery cases in the frames strangely resembling bionx with oddly "pretty" looking metallic fenders.

At the same time, if I could get people to buy my custom framed steel bikes for $7300 each, I might make one pink too just to tick off everyone else! :p

Did you notice on his site the blue bike that he sold at a big discount at ONLY $5900 or best offer! And he SOLD it a couple months before this year's contest!! :shock: :D :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pereiracycles/5991558894/in/photostream

HAHAHA...does it really need me to say anything at all?
i think not :p pictures tell the story well don't they? :mrgreen: :p

A Few my little pony stickers wouldn't have gone astray, just quietly...

On a serious note it is pleasing to see he has at least opted for a disk
brake up front.

KiM

Ok, I'm dumb, what's the big U on the frame near the bars for? I thought I'd seen everything bike, but that's a new one for me.
Part of the theft protection? What's wrong with running the lock through the frame? If that's what it is, it sure doesn't secure the wheels.

A number of the bikes integrate a u-lock into the design. This and a couple other bikes position it to lock the steering in addition to fastening to a post or rack. Locking the steering also conveniently prevents "wheel-flop", which regularly allows bikes to fall, despite being attached to a post.

Does anybody remember who was selling those generic bionx looking battery cases? Seen 'em somewhere over the years but can't remember the source?

Ykick said:
Does anybody remember who was selling those generic bionx looking battery cases? Seen 'em somewhere over the years but can't remember the source?
Crystalyte%20battery%20case-2T.jpg

http://us.itselectric.ca/product_p/crystalyte%20battery%20case.htm

I get a u lock built into the frame. But that's just a U welded to the frame. If a really tough lock was run through that part of the frame, I sure know what I'd be cuttin if I was a thief.

On the other hand, that bike might need no lock at all. :lol: :lol: I always say, ugly is the best theft protection there is.

dogman said:
I get a u lock built into the frame. But that's just a U welded to the frame.
Nah, the guy integrates locks.
6175716636_8697b81cd6_z.jpg

The key goes in from the opposite side:
6175716788_77b00315d5_z.jpg

There is a shot with keys somewhere online... :?

Last year's winner had it too, slightly different setup, on the other side.
Periera_lock.jpg

Thanks TD...

I'm actually surprised there isn't more out-cry than the column you listed as specious as many bicycle snobs are in Portland, but I think they miss the point of the manifest.

From what I gather, the point of the manifest is to get new and accessible innovations to the show room floor, not re-invent the bicycle into a cargo carrying vehicle.

I like cargo bikes, don't get me wrong, but the average Portland rider doesn't ride them, I have not seen the need for one myself, and yes if you're going to ferry around family and do all the normal things like getting groceries and such on a bicycle, a cargo bike makes sense, but even in Portland (Named the #1 City in the US for bicycle commuting), the average rider isn't riding a cargo bike.

I like the fact that they had to ride on varied terrain, carry a couple of packages of reasonable bulk, as the average person would while using a bicycle to commute, but it would seem some interpreted this "Ultimate Utility Bike" title differently than others like me.

Does everyone who drives a 4 x 4 SUV really use it's total capabilities? Not usually, but there are a lot of people who drive them. Just like a sports car, most people who have them don't have them as a daily driver or grocery getter.

Just like most people don't commute on a CF Race bike either, but most that commute at the same time have a more average bicycle, particularly a MTB, at least in the places where I have lived. Sure there is the fixie/messenger crowd that ride short distances downtown, and some that use those style of bikes for their utility rather than a fashion statement, but clearly the average commuter doesn't use a really specialized or fancy bike.

I think it's actually a good thing that a less unusual more standard and obtainable bike with mostly off the shelf components won, I wish they also addressed more practical concerns like real world gearing and practical frame designs with eyelets for more than just fenders that the average bicycle lacks even sold in a bike shop, you end up having to buy all that stuff or buy a specialty made bicycle to get those features at a premium price.

I'm just happy that in Portland, here is a contest that doesn't look down it's nose at "cheating" electric bicycles, but rather embraces the utility of it.

I can just see the "fashion bike" riders around Portland gnashing their teeth about a "cheater" willing this year's manifest! :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Back