Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

The cost of labor in China is rising and starting to become uncompetitive over the last few years.. and western governments are handing out money left and right to subsidize or tax advantage these domestic operations, including ones started by foreign countries.

Generally speaking, China and the west are looking to economically separate in the near future, so Taiwanese and Chinese companies are moving some of their operations to the west so they can continue selling batteries in that market after that happens.

Nice find!

It's hard to believe someone could best Amprius' 450 whrs/kg this early in the game.

I looked into this because i was skeptical. Chinese companies can be as full of **** as ours stateside sometimes, lol.

Apparently this energy density is feasible.
Ref: Lithium-ion batteries break energy density record – Physics World

1712204251674.png

Here's an article about this company:
Solid-state battery startup Talent New Energy unveils cell with ultra-high energy density

Dude this is insane. I know these cells could 'theoretically' hit 2.5x that of current lithium but i had no idea we were this close already.

Now they just have to figure out how to produce them economically, which seems to be the current challenge.
Apparently improving them is no big deal!

Also assuming they have useful cycles lives, discharge rates, etc. I don't think it would be particularly hard to make a battery with incredibly high energy density that only lasts 50 cycles and often the cycle life is the hardest part of moving from a test chemistry to a production chemistry, notice how they say good cycle life but no numbers, got to throw out the big density number to catch some attention first and figure out everything else later. Still I think we'll start seeing higher and higher energy density cells hit the market as some of the developments make it to production in some for or other.

Apparently this energy density is feasible.
Yes,…. if nothing else, this Talent info seems to parallel to the Samsung 900Wh/ltr that you posted last month.
hopefully we may eventually get the full specs of one or both , and some idea of commercial availability /use.

Edit..
I noticed in your link to Physics World they seem to be talking of very similar results and materials ,.…
.so, i wonder if it is not the same cell ?…and if so maybe this is relavent..
The devices boast a gravimetric energy density of 711.3 Wh/kg and a volumetric energy density of 1653.65 Wh/L, both of which are the highest in rechargeable lithium batteries based on an intercalation-type cathode,
..BUT ALSO NOTE..
”The researchers, who report their work in Chinese Physics Letters, explain that a trade-off always exists between the energy density, cycle performance, rate capability and safety of lithium-ion batteries. Safety is a primary requirement, but elevated energy density will increase the risks …….
……..The cycle performance of high-energy density batteries also still lags behind that of currently commercialized batteries, he adds. “This parameter needs to be comprehensively considered to meet the requirements of specific fields. It will therefore take considerable time for ultrahigh-energy density batteries to be practically applied. ..”
Safety, (fire) is probably the most sensitive aspect of Li batteries at the moment.

Last edited:
Now for something completly different !…..
Grid scale storage, currently the domain of lithium batteries, Pumped Hydro, Flow cells , Thermal storage, etc ……may have a new competitor.
And the core material may be a shock !
COMPRESSED CO2 !
Based on the principle that CO2 can be compressed to liquid phase at ambient temperature for storage, then used by expanding back to gas phase through turbines to generate power, in a sealed closed loop system at 75-80% efficiency, and with a much lower cost (LCOS). than any current alternative (1/3 the cost of Li battery)
CO2 compression and storage is an established technology.
More explanation here…

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on what they actually did for pulses--did they just use a simple 50% duty cycle squarewave, or some more complicated waveform.

This image from the article implies a simple 50% duty cycle squarewave of *current*; I haven't tried to figure out what the voltage waveform would have to look like to get that current waveform, but I don't think it would be a simple one. The actual current waveform they used could be completely different, as they don't have any scope images, etc, and don't describe it.
1713407993263.png

In case the article or site goes away, the PDF is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Advanced Energy Materials - 2024 - Guo - Unravelling the Mechanism of Pulse Current Charging f...pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Came across this recently, apparently you can extend the cycle life of lithium based batteries by using 100-2000Hz pulsed current for charging:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aenm.202400190
Makes me wonder if you could just add a chopper circuit to your existing charger setup.

We as a species have spent a collective trillion dollars trying to improve various aspects of the lithium battery with very little to show for it currently and we missed the fact that we could ~3x battery life with a weird trick?

Dude, WTF!

And also thanks for sharing that!

From the graphs, it looks like a simple 50% duty cycle. This would be pretty easy to implement. Pulse charging has been used for many years with lead-acid and Ni-Cd with some benefits.

100Hz, PWM 50%, c/100 gives very good results for charging alkaline batteries, but that's another story. For LiION I would expect a negligible effect at lower charging current. In the article they use 1C.

Back