Thunder-Sky/Winston 60Ah WB-LYP60AHA

schoelli

10 µW
Hi there...
I'm going to build a big batterypack for my Stromer ST1 which I will pull in a trailer.
I've been thinking about using 10x Thunder-Sky/Winston 40 or 60Ah in series with a BMS of course.
WB-LYP60AHA-1.png

Specs here: http://en.winston-battery.com/index.php/products/power-battery/item/wb-lyp60aha?category_id=176

What do you think about that?
Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Cheerio Schoelli

I don't think I have ever heard anything good about those.
The only good LiFePO4 left is A123 stuff.

Thanks for your inputs!
Riba: Why do you call them half-products? Why are the Nissan leaf ones better in your opinion?
okashira: I see you don't like the Thunder-Sky/Winston. Is there any explicit reason for that?

Would you rather use some Headway 40152S 15Ah Cells?

Nissan leaf cells are produced for automotive industry with highest standards, have lower internal resistance, better sag performance, and higher continuous and peak C rate, also, they are easier to keep in balance, need very very low balance current (nissan uses 430 ohm balance resistors). They will also last longer because of higher quality. They are also 50% smaller and 25% lighter.

Winstons are chinese brand, have bad production tolerances (capacity and IR differ from cell to cell, and that's why they are harder to keep in balance, along with steep lifepo4 curve near end of charge and discharge), also even with all that, they are much more expensive, and you have to figure method to compress them, while leaf cells already have holes for that. Main problem is that they die randomly.

Headways are nothing special if you ask me, low c rate, high price, large volume and weight, even worse than winston...

schoelli said:
Thanks for your inputs!
Riba: Why do you call them half-products? Why are the Nissan leaf ones better in your opinion?
okashira: I see you don't like the Thunder-Sky/Winston. Is there any explicit reason for that?

Would you rather use some Headway 40152S 15Ah Cells?

Because they are overpriced crap cells.
Sure I may be biased because I have 334 A123 20Ah pouch cells to sell. :)
But mine are like new, made in USA, have better energy density, better power density, cheaper, better calendar life and better cycle life.
3 cells in parallel would be 60Ah , only 1.5kg, good for 1,500 amps, and rated for 2,000 - 10,000 cycles at FULL DoD not, 70% DoD

That thundersky is is 2.4kg, rated for 200A (lol) and crap chinese quality.

Headaway ... same deal :-(

You'd only need 10-20 Model S cells in parallel for 200A rating. that would only be 0.5kg - 1.0kg grams and 31-62 Ah.

Nissan Leaf cells are definitely better quality then thundersky and headway, but they are also on the low end in terms of general quality cells. I would stay away from them, in fact.

Stick with more modern NCM cells from an EV or NCA cells from a Model s. Or go with COTS 18650's if you can't do used.

Hi Schoelli
I have some experience with Winston Thundersky and GBS prismatic batteries. I can report that they are not as terrible as some of these posters have stated, but they're not great. They have a pretty poor C rate, they claim 3C but in reality (depending on temperature) they can only put out about 1.5 C continuously. I have set up a 72 volt system using the GBS 20AH cells and ridden it for a year. They came with a simple shunt-based BMS that works ok, it's been a year and my cells are all within .1 of a volt of each other. I think that the LiPo4 chemistry makes for very forgiving cells, but really not great value or power for their weight or volume. I would go with an 18650 based pack, it will be better and probably cheaper.

Do some more research on this forum and others at least.
There are much better options than Tsky or headway ( unless you can get them for free !)
At the very least look at Calb CAM series, but there are even better options than those.

Thank you Hillhater and tigcross for your inputs! You have conviced me that bigpacks are just not ready yet for our purpose. So I'll probably buy a Panasonic 3400 NCR B 3 17ah from Lunacycel.

One thing I'm not sure is how to connect the second batterypack so that I'm abel to switch between them when one is depleted. Any advice on how you would realise that?

tigcross said:
Hi Schoelli
I have some experience with Winston Thundersky and GBS prismatic batteries. I can report that they are not as terrible as some of these posters have stated, but they're not great. They have a pretty poor C rate, they claim 3C but in reality (depending on temperature) they can only put out about 1.5 C continuously. I have set up a 72 volt system using the GBS 20AH cells and ridden it for a year. They came with a simple shunt-based BMS that works ok, it's been a year and my cells are all within .1 of a volt of each other. I think that the LiPo4 chemistry makes for very forgiving cells, but really not great value or power for their weight or volume. I would go with an 18650 based pack, it will be better and probably cheaper.

No.. they really are.

Re switching between packs, if you parallel them to run at the same time, it will lower the amp draw per cell, as opposed to switching them.

okashira said:
Nissan Leaf cells are definitely better quality then thundersky and headway, but they are also on the low end in terms of general quality cells. I would stay away from them, in fact.

The 2016 LEAF cells improved quite a bit. The first LEAF cells were designed in 2009, and lots has been learned since then.

I would avoid the T-sags (and clones) for any application where either performance and/or reliability matters.

I agree. Actually I think 2015 they went to NCM. They should be good cells.
SK innovations are really impressive now. 170kg of cells same DCIR as a Model S pack and still 28 kWh. And ceramic separator

Back