Weird Issue with a Cycle Analyst

ShoGinn

10 mW
So, Picked up this Cycle Analyst used from a guy her on the forum, and it checks out fine, shows the correct Amps/Watts speed etc but it has one quirk..

The details:
CA-DPS 2.23 , External Shunt (1mOhm) using Anderson Power Poles on both ends.
Bike is a Juiced Riders ODK V2..

Not many more details on what is being used..

I hooked it all up as per the manual (and common sense and experience)..

Powered it up and noticed a approx -100watts... and it would fluxuate +-40

went into the advanced settings and ensured all was set right, also zeroed out the values MULTIPLE times..

Unplugged the controller side of the shunt to see if there was a weird issue... no change.

I was moving the wires with my hand when I saw the watts immediately went to 0. SO I thought it was a wire bad or a bad solder connection etc (it is used).

Opened up the back on my workbench and found nothing visual, broke out the fluke meter and started checking the connections... could find no issues, all had great continuity...

I was baffled and frankly a bit angry.

I got it back on the bike and decided to separate all the wires (speed sensor and CA-DP plug) while powered up... I noticed that when I grabbed the speed sensor wire with a closed fist (as in the video below) it would go down to 0.

I also noticed that when touching the case of the CA it would also drop down to 0.

This is beyond my bug tracking! anyone have any ideas? I sent a fairly similar e-mail to Grin..

And as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a video 1:11 long so at 27fps is about 2 million words. have at it!

[youtube]nRPRML-TPzo[/youtube]

So as I was writing this post; I was thinking.. maybe eliminate the battery..

I have a 20AMP 12VDC power supply that I use to charge LiPo's etc and figured I would run that through the shunt (since my world is Anderson power poles it makes life easy)..

Plugged the power supply in... no problem.......

The pack on the bike is a 48V pack, am I even testing correctly or should voltage not play a factor?

Tested it as simple as possible, only the shunt connected to the CA.

On the power supply, wattage never went to negative (refresh rate was at 1)

plugged the battery back in and bam... negative voltage..

Can the BMS in the Juiced Riders battery be causing some issues?

I am unfamiliar with this aspect.

Here is more fun!

Decided to take a video to demonstrate the power supply..

I also have a picture of my Watts-Up meter hooked up... no negative wattage etc..

When I hook the watts up meter between the battery, and the shunt... the CA also does not show the negative wattage!

So this is a weird issue, not sure how to condition DC Voltage
IMG_1720.jpg

[youtube]sJj18N4OO-A[/youtube]

How is the CA-DP plug wired on the controller? does it have a separate pair of wires for the current monitoring direct to the shunt or has the negative black wire been doubled up via a loop on the controller end.

Look at the CA pdf manual..last page..the shunt wires are the middle two of the CA plug, and independent earth ground wire direct to the shunt, and the blue to the other side of the shunt

Some controllers (like e-crazyman's) have a CA-DP plug..but do not use an extra ground wire to the shunt..they just loop pin 3 ( CA shunt negative) to the system ground..(Pin2)..this is not accurate..just wondering if your controller has been wired with the CA plug in the same short cut way

The CA-DP is not wired to the controller, just looks that way in the video due to the convenience of placement.

The CA-DP is pretty much a stand alone.

No controller input except for the shunt.

So here is an update:

I dug deep into my electrical knowledge from my Aircraft Electrician days... and decided to go with my gut.

This is obviously noise being sent down the reed sensor and somehow getting back into the CA..

no other way to view it as such.

Wrapping my hand around it just shows how I am blocking this spurious transmissions.

Is the Speed Sensor cheap.. for sure its only $7 hhaha so its not built to handle any weird stuff like my bike is giving it.

Went down to the basement and scavenged a ferrite core
(extreme example)
USB_cable_with_chokes.JPG

Did the double wrap thing on the sensor, crossed fingers and powered it up.

0 watts.

Case closed.

Cool! Pictures please.

ShoGinn said:
The CA-DP is not wired to the controller, just looks that way in the video due to the convenience of placement.

The CA-DP is pretty much a stand alone.

No controller input except for the shunt.

Glad it is fixed..

It is really a CA - SA now then. :)

Out of interest did you wire the wires for the shunt to the CA yourself and if so where to? direct to eh shunt for both wires or just used a convenient earth and one wire to one side of the shunt

Back