X Prize Winners

jmygann

100 kW
http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/

Progressive Insurance and The X PRIZE Foundation will announce the winners of the Progressive Insurance Automotive X PRIZE at a special awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. where up to $10 million will be awarded.

The ceremony, will take place on Thursday, September 16 at 10:30am EDT at the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. 801 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001.

http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/live

My favorite ....

[youtube]gUaXGEeKiu4[/youtube]

Progressive Automotive X Prize winners announced:

Alternative Side-by-side Class:

97VZt.jpg

Li-Ion Motors Wave II, from North Carolina, US. Electric propulsion, 187 MPGe in testing.

Alternative Tandem Seating Class:

idxdT.jpg

X-Tracer E-Tracer, from Switzerland. Electric propulsion, 205.3 MPGe in testing.

Mainstream category (ie, 4 passengers):

LLxdv.jpg

Edison2 Very Light Car, from Virginia, US. E85 ICE propulsion, and barely squeaked by the 100 MPGe threshold, logging 102.5 MPGe on the dyno.

Congratulations to all the teams, who took home $2.5M, $2.5M, and $5M for their efforts, respectively!

8)

I think NASCAR sould go electric. Nice Green car

jmygann said:
http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/

Progressive Insurance and The X PRIZE Foundation will announce the winners of the Progressive Insurance Automotive X PRIZE at a special awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. where up to $10 million will be awarded.

The ceremony, will take place on Thursday, September 16 at 10:30am EDT at the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. 801 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001.

http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/live

My favorite ....

[youtube]gUaXGEeKiu4[/youtube]

jmygann,

You favorite is just 30 minutes from me. I might have to slide by there for a visit.

Bubba

If I was to choose the car to buy, it would be the Edison2.

It would probably be half the price of the electric cars and with a five gallon gas tank you could go anywhere in the US.

The ICE is still going to be around for a long time.

Deron.

The edison2 would also be my choice, but I would swap the engine for something more my taste. :)

It's interesting that my Honda Insight from 2003 gets 65 to even over 70mpg if I drive it decently nice, and it's a full car with storage space and all the normal things you typically have in a car, AC/climate control, decent sound system, it's quiet inside, seals out perfectly, etc etc.

Reaching for that last 30mpg jump from 70mpg to 100mpg must have been a huge stretch.

I guess when you put up a 10million dollar prize on the line, this should finally shut the mouth of all the guys ranting about the 100mpg carburetor myths.

How can a car like the Edison2 barely get to 100mpg? Are those outboard tires and covers that much of a killer in terms of frontal area?

I guess it all comes down to the weight, engine size and speed.

On my 50CC moped, I clocked 139 MPG. Now the moped weights in at 75 Lbs. and only does 30 MPH. I think a four seat car that weights 800 Lbs and can get over a 100 MPG at 70 MPH is doing pretty darn good.

Now of course if you could turn one drop of fuel into "Pure Energy" you could probably go a thousand miles on that drop. :D

Deron.

liveforphysics said:
The edison2 would also be my choice, but I would swap the engine for something more my taste. :)

It's interesting that my Honda Insight from 2003 gets 65 to even over 70mpg if I drive it decently nice, and it's a full car with storage space and all the normal things you typically have in a car, AC/climate control, decent sound system, it's quiet inside, seals out perfectly, etc etc.

Reaching for that last 30mpg jump from 70mpg to 100mpg must have been a huge stretch.

I guess when you put up a 10million dollar prize on the line, this should finally shut the mouth of all the guys ranting about the 100mpg carburetor myths.

Yeah

I think they said there is not going to be a production model of this car. But they will use what they learned to incorporate into something people will buy.

Deron.

I think they are going at it all wrong.

It's not the car anymore, it's the people. There are plenty of vehicles that get fantastic MPG, people are apparently pretty happy with the fuel mileage they get or else they would be purchasing these 50+ MPG cars. That is till prices take a jump.

I guess as long as people use cars as a extension of their "self", then gas mileage will suffer. Maybe now that things are shifting towards a information society, the big muscle cars will be replaced with information mobiles. Being connected at all times, including in your car, will displace big engines. "I'll will take the one with a built in work station". :D

Deron.

You know, it really is about the people. I worked with Nissan for a bit as a design consultant, over beers one evening we discussed Nissans (at the time) lack of EV or Hybrid projects. The design lead told me "we'd sell cars that ran on sh*t if people would buy them".

Though I do think the marketing by the companies is somewhat to blame, we the people are at fault for not putting our $$$ where our mouths are.

Back