Bought a new phone

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Re: Bought a new phone

Postby Ypedal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 am

When i first switched from my Krzr the biggest concern was the HUGE Size of these smartphones.. figured it would be a huge hassle to carry around, almost got the samsung with BATA, glad i sticked with my moto.. incredible what you can do while on the move....

sitting in a restaurant having a conversation, someone asks a question that nobody knows how to answer, flip the phone, fire up google and BAM. " that's what's in tartar sauce ! ! "

I have not had a home phone in 12 years.
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby AussieJester » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am

Ypedal wrote:sitting in a restaurant having a conversation, someone asks a question that nobody knows how to answer, flip the phone, fire up google and BAM. " that's what's in tartar sauce ! ! "

And if your like me :P you do this rather 'discretely' under the table
a lil, so its out of view of others, so it looks like your one clever mother fucker :mrgreen:

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Pure » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 am

I dunno Luke, I kinda like the larger screen.

I just up---err downgraded. I had a BB curve, but it freaking just up and died on me one day. No not the battery, the phone had some weird software glitch, but anyways, I went with a non smart phone, a pantech lazer. I like how thin it is and it's still a fully functional slider. I really only need a phone for 3 things, talking, texting, and the occasional internet. The picture on their site doesn't do it justice to just how thin it really is. http://www.pantechusa.com/phones/laser

On a side note, I've had an iphone in the past, and hated not having actual keys to type on. So the fact that this phone has real keys in combo with a touch screen is a bonus.
Mongoose DH
X5304
60V20Ah LiFePO4

I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns to its original trajectory and adheres to you. So there!
Pure
10 kW
10 kW

Postby grindz145 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am

I'm still rocking an EVO but this Note looks awesome. Just got a asus transformer 10" tablet. Amazing little computer.
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby Kingfish » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Luke, I knew you were holding out for a great phone :)

I have the Samsung Droid Charge. <yawn> Last week the system finally upgraded to Version 2.6.35.7; no Ice Cream for me :x

I have not been terribly impressed with the technology; these are still toys afaic.

I hope your phone exceeds your expectations though :)
Happy for you, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Current ride: 2WD Disc EBikeKit (9C 2806-equivalent) / Dual Lyen 12FET / 15S6P LiPo when commuting.
* Going to California: 2011: Trip completed 8)
* Club Member: 40-mph & 101. 10k-Club: 11,340 miles-to-date, 5850 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Postby ohzee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:31 pm

grindz145 wrote:I'm still rocking an EVO but this Note looks awesome. Just got a asus transformer 10" tablet. Amazing little computer.

We bought my oldest son one of those for his bday few months back.. he used his extra bday money to get the keyboard attachment..

Man that thing is pretty awesome.. I also know that our local cable co is about to offer TV programming on android without the cable box so that
is going to be another bonus. Yea i love the transformer nice piece of hw.
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Green Machine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 pm

I got the galaxy note thanks to lukes recommendation and love it.

Dont even think about the size factor except for the convenience of the large screen.

I sold both my iphone and my ipad and if i had apple stock i would sell all that too quick.
http://www.electricbike.com Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
Green Machine
100 kW
100 kW

Postby michaelplogue » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm a bit weird when it comes to gadgets. Although I am a confirmed geek and early adopter, I'm not a huge fan of multi function devices. If I want a phone, I want just a phone. I don't want something I can watch videos on or browse the Internet. I have a tablet to do all my media viewing and ebook reading. Phones should be getting smaller, not bigger!

I just want a small phone that does nothing but be a phone, and that's the size of a cigarette lighter to fit nicely in my pocket. I'd get a watch phone, but they look so dorky. I want a fricking Zoolander cell phone, dammit! :mrgreen:
Last edited by michaelplogue on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelplogue
10 kW
10 kW

Postby oatnet » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:14 pm

ohzee wrote:Go android die Apple.

Hater! :roll: :lol:

While android doesn't work for me personally, I can see it is a cool phone with a great screen for those who prefer that flavor. Luke congrats on your purchase, have fun with it!

-JD
Member 117 of 19,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!
oatnet
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Ypedal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I used a few of my friends iphone's on occasion, it does everything i need a phone to do, and everything a gadget does, i prefer my droid for one main reason, the marketplace is HUGE and most of it is free. other than that.. i'd make due with either one.

Am about to sell my laptop and get a tablet instead.
ES site status page:
----------------
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby ohzee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:25 pm

My stepfather bought a IPAD 2 a while back and wanted me to help him put things on it.. movies music maybe some books.

Well while there are some ways around it for the average user unless you use itunes for everything it's not easy to put
media on a IPAD.. keep in mind I said average I could easily setup a http server that would let me upload things to it..But
for people not real savy unless you use the stuff that's forced down your throat it's a bit complicated..

That is why I think the apple products will eventually fail and the android will grab majority of the marketshare..
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Hillhater » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:46 pm

ohzee wrote:.... while there are some ways around it for the average user unless you use itunes for everything it's not easy to put media on a IPAD.. keep in mind I said average I could easily setup a http server that would let me upload things to it..But
for people not real savy unless you use the stuff that's forced down your throat it's a bit complicated..

That is why I think the apple products will eventually fail and the android will grab majority of the marketshare..

Thats odd !!?
I am not an "ifan",.. almost the opposite infact, but most of my family use iPhones and the main reason the use to support their choice is how EASY it is to load/download music, video, photos, docs etc etc using itunes. ?
I am of the.. "keep it simple, keep it small" .. mind set , and think all these new smart phones are too big for carrying around ( shorts & T shirts !), so i spent a lot of tine sourcing a small Android ( 3" screen & thin ) that fits my needs.
SIDE NOTE :
on a recent o'seas visit to N Y , i could not find anyone to sell me a local pre-paid USA SIM card for my phone. however i could buy a Pre paid little Nokia AT&T phone with a Sim card for $18 !. Now it has been a few years since i used a Nokia ( went through the Blackberry phase !) , but my god was it a breeze to use again ! :shock: ...
.. none of the fancy smart phone stuff, but phone , text, Email, GPS, photos, etc ..all simple easy to use in a tiny slim phone with a battery that lasted for a week !
Actually i was a little pissed that i couldnt get it unlocked to use an my home network back in Aus ! :D
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca
Hillhater
10 GW
10 GW

Postby ohzee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Yea I didn't add my parents live in the hills and there is no fast internet (dialup only).. maybe I am just biased as well , but I hate devices that is restricted by design.
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:56 pm

ohzee wrote:... maybe I am just biased as well , but I hate devices that is restricted by design.

I have a passion for hating anything that I purchase that tries to tell me what I can do with it and use it for. The idea that some company gets to decide what software and what media files etc that I want to put on my device is against everything I believe in, and it is a business model that will die.

Every Android device is 100% hackable, you can do and run anything the physical hardware is capable of processing. Full freedom in your device. It's also nice that every app is free (if you've even got basic computer skills at least).
Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby oatnet » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm

ohzee wrote:Well while there are some ways around it for the average user unless you use itunes for everything it's not easy to put
media on a IPAD. That is why I think the apple products will eventually fail and the android will grab majority of the marketshare.

Well, if everyone was exactly like you, that would certainly be the case. However, everyone is not exactly like you, so there is no "right" or "best" smartphone OS. That means there is plenty of room for both flavors of smartphone, and whatever new flavors pop up in the future.

I can appreciate and enjoy just about any new gadget or feature, which is why I am happy for Luke. I don't really get the "Consumer-Class Competition" angst in phone choice, although there are plenty of folks on both sides feeling the hate. While it doesn't brighten my day to see someone proclaiming that my choices are shit, I guess I don't feel the need to validate my existance by proving that my stuff is better than someone elses stuff. Life is a journey, not a competition. :D

-JD
Member 117 of 19,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!
oatnet
100 MW
100 MW

Postby ohzee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:20 pm

agreed 100% - to each his own.. If everyone was like me this would be one weird world ;p
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby chroot » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Samsung Note is nice device, I bought a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket for my girlfriend (xmas gift) and I still using my TBolt (Thunderbolt) rooted running MIUI ICS ROM. I really wanted Note and Verizon doesn't offer. :(

I have 2 Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets, Both are rooted and running Task650 ROM.
Thank you Justin Lemire-Elmore - You are a HERO!

Tidalforce, Yuba Mundo V4 Cargo bike, Juiced Riders ODK V1 Cargo bike
English is my secondary language - ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary.
chroot
1 MW
1 MW

Postby zombiess » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm running a Nexus One and have no plans to change any time soon. Since most of the developers use this phone it gets lots of love with software releases such as Cyanogenmod.

As for Crapple products, I absolutely hate the company. I use to have to support some of the iphone/Ipad users here at my job and holy shit does crapple make it a pain in the ass to do what should be easy. Having to use itunes to transfer files, video files have to be exactly the perfect size and codec, what a pain in the ass.

They could fix this really easy but just allowing you to plug it into your computer, have it show up as a drive like every other device in the world and read/write to it. Problem solved. Oh, linking devices to certain computers... more ridiculous bullshit. I weaseled out of having to support these products thankfully. IT admin nightmare to deal with.

If I want to add a picture to a device I want to plug it into USB and drag/drop what I want into a folder, not some retarded dumbed down interface that complicates my life and only works with certain linked devices.

Only think I like about crapple is they have great MS Exchange server active sync support.
Greyborg Warp Frame with Greyborg Cromotor aka "Monster Bike", 24 FET IRFB4115 EB324 Top Speed 42MPH (75V)
Greyborg Hub Motor, ZombieSS 24FET/36FET IRFB4115, Customized full suspension kids MTB. Top Speed 61 MPH (125V)
9C 8x8, 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 12 FET, Diamondback Recoil Comp. Top Speed 42 MPH (100V)
Greyborg USA/Canada Dealer, Frame kits + motor in stock now http://www.greyborgusa.com
zombiess
100 MW
100 MW

Postby dingoEsride » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 am

A phone 6" long x 3.5" is huge, a bit like sticking a ipad to your ear reminds me a bit of my first phone some 15 years ago, needing one being a sub contract carpenter, a uniden that was like a 3 x 2 x 8 timber and the weight of a brick that size with a massive 7 hour standby time that i later added an external power source, wow how times have changed and we still winge that these devices cant do more, got to admit that my lg optimus p970 black is much more than a phone but doesn't wake me up in the mornig like all my previous ones could without leaving it on all night
ride like the wind
dingoEsride
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Ypedal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

I find myself using speakerphone more than holding it up to my face since i went with the brick.. aparently comes thru better on the other end that way too !!.. i am not impressed with the audio quality vs my old Krzr..
ES site status page:
----------------
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby dodjob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Got a good new ol' desire for a very good price on ebay :)
rooted it 2 hours after opened the box and "S-offed" it in a raw ^^
I now use the runnymede ROM 3.0.4 from sebastien15 (gingerbread + sense 3.5) from the Sensation XL with snq kernel. Everything works like a charm, smooth and fast like a stock 2.1 UI AND with X2SDX script I got 1.6Gb place for my apps (If I ever need it ;) )
The sound is actually reaaaally good (I use it mostly as a mp3 player and I'm quite "audiophile") *if used with the "dspmanager.apk" and real good Headphones (Xears XE200PRO ebony for me)
Android rocks and the Xda-developers forum is the right place to learn. Something like here. Full of motivated people who NEVER will do what's written on the box ;) or at least not without knowing what does that mean ^^
Happy to see here people sharing the same "way to think" :mrgreen:
Gruß,
H.
PS: would be great in the future to get an app for the forum. I know that a lot of people don't really like the though but an app like the XDA would be awesome :) I'm also waiting someone to design any CA compatible app ;)
Felt beer-cruiser MAC 8T lifepo4 36V12AH 12FETS4110 http://www.bavarian-ebikes.com
dodjob
1 kW
1 kW

Postby frodus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Due to some development work I'm doing on the side with a friend, I decided to move to android last month..... found a Captivate S on craigslist for cheap and bought it. rooted it and installed CM7.... used it a while and bluetooth was wonky and it ate battery like nothing else. Then apps started to crash.... restored but it just wasn't cutting it, so I went to MIUI.us..... and I love it. Battery lasts a long time, bluetooth works.

Kinda looking for a new android phone now.... looking a little at the LG Thrill (3D display and camera). Not sure if I want to jump ship in Jan when my contract runs out, or if I want to switch. Right now I have "unlimited" data, so I don't know if I want to give that up, althought I don't use more than a 2Gig right now.

As far as the forum app, tapatalk supports phpbb, the admin's need to install the module.
http://www.tapatalk.com/
frodus
1 MW
1 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Wooooot!!! My new phone arrived. :-)

I was worried it would be cumbersomely large. It's actually just perfect! I'm super super super happy with it! Woot!!! Fits effortlessly into my pockets, feels perfect in my hands (I do have giant hands), and it's SOOOOO nice to type on, I can just fly on this keyboard, and it doesn't feel like my fingers are making a stretch at all, it's more like they are getting to type without feeling cramped up.

I'm very very very very happy with it! $750 well spent. All ready makes my Evo 4g feel like a crude primitive device.

In 20mins or so it should be rooted and hacked, and I will start trying out various custom ROM's to see what I like best on this beast.

Ebikes.ca

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Those pictures on my screen make it look like the text is unreadable garbled mess, but the screen is 1280x800 resolution (higher resolution than most laptop screens and many computer monitors), and it's perfectly clean and clear and readable in person. The photo just can't replicate the screen without being huge, and from a better camera than my Evo's.
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Alan B » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Looks good!
-- Alan W6AKB eESP, GreyBorg, eBikeE BMC, myEbikes, ezPCBs and Thanks to ebikes.ca for rescuing this forum!
Alan B
10 GW
10 GW

Next

Return to General Discussion