• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cheap Meanwell Supply Source??

etard

100 kW
Is this as good a price as I'm gonna find for the S-350-48 Meanwell Power Supply?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meanwell-S-350-W-48V-DC-7A-SMPS-switching-power-supply_W0QQitemZ130420159644QQcategoryZ58288QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

If so, the price has gone up at least $20 on these things, seems like you used to be able to get them $40 shipped.

Also, please confirm this is the model best suited to direct charging a well balanced 44 volt pack ( not the sp-320-48 ).

Thanks for any help guys, trying to find a quick charger for the Tuscan race next month.

Id like to add that I use SP-320-48 with Fetcher's mini-limiter board for charging 12S (50V) Lipo and have no problems. And, I always push it 325-340W.

But I've also read/heard S-350-48 is "better" - don't fully understand why? I think it might be easier modding without using a limiter board add-on? But, if you're going to use Fetcher's (or similar) mini current limiter it really won't matter. SP-320's seem to usually be cheaper, of course.

Thanks for the help guys, I went ahead and bought one from sure electronics, I'm not sure if it will make it here by the race considering the Chinese New Year is still popping off. Do they just celebrate for like 2 months? We need to adopt this holiday if so.

In the same dilemma, I bought this one, a Mega Watt. Meanwell clone. You'll get it in time from him. Mine still working, but fingers crossed it doesn't go poof by the race. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160465611219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have purchased two Meanwels from this ebay vendor recommended by Hyena, both arrived very quickly.

KiM

Killin me dude!, I wish you had posted that a few days earlier, woulda saved me 2 weeks shipping and $20. :evil:

Thanks anyway, if I ever need another, I know where to look. I wonder why that didn't come up in my ebay search?

etard said:
Killin me dude!, I wish you had posted that a few days earlier, woulda saved me 2 weeks shipping and $20. :evil:

Thanks anyway, if I ever need another, I know where to look. I wonder why that didn't come up in my ebay search?

Sorry about that mate :? :) I guess you didn't find it because you searched for meanwell and that term isn't mentioned in the ad (maybe it isn't one :| , the pic looks like one though ), if you look for 48v power supply it comes up first on the list.

Be warned guys, the last 3 of these clones I've bought seem to have no sort of current limiting what so ever. :(

I bought one a month or so ago and it popped within seconds of plugging it in. I'd modded the shunt (ie cut one of them and soldered a few strands of wire in place to lower the current) but figured I must have shorted something in putting the case back together and accidently left a blob of solder or something across the shunt because it read 30 amps for a split second before blowing.

I bought 2 more with the intention of making a powerful fast charger but bought them from a different supplier this time. They looked like identical S-350-24 clones. Low and behold, I open the new one, completely snip through one of the shunts and it reads 35 amps. WTF! I quickly yanked the power before it could blow then snipped through the second shunt, leaving just a single thin strand of wire across it. This blew like a fuse when I powered it back up so I soldered a few strands the following time. This time it powered up ok but again instantly read 30 amps when I put a battery one it (6C I should add for my 5ah lipo pack)

So, that's crap. Aside from blowing up one already I have 2 more that are of no use to me. Bummer :(

Here's a picture of the latest board - it's from this ebay seller
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170607332827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

s350.jpg

Bad Luck Hyena. :cry:

I own 6x Genuine Meanwell S-350-27's purchased in two batches from SureElectronics for $50 each. I was happy to pay a little extra for the Genuine ones and it seems to have paid off for me! The goal is to eventually configure them to make 2 X triple stacked 1050W 24S LiFePO4 chargers, but in the meantime i'm using them as 3 x double stacked 700W 16S LiFePO4 chargers.

These have always behaved as genuine CV/CC supplies, and have been modded very simply for completely tune-able output current..... (im not sure if my mod is well known already, I haven't had the patience to wade through the entirety of the MW SMPS mod threads.

Anyway, I hated the idea of cutting shunt wires to crudely vary current, and at least with the 'S' series genuine MW's you don't have to. In standard trim there is a couple of low wattage voltage divider resistors that determine constant current. All you have to do is snip the resistors ceramic body off one of them and solder in a small trim-pot/potentiometer to the retained resistor legs (saves having to remove PCB from casing to access solder pads underneath). This gave me complete control over CC at any voltage....I used 0-500ohm to get adequate range with substantial resolution.

I figured this out from looking at Kingfish's schematic over here and looking up the current control pin within the TL494CN datasheet.

Note. I experienced different results from tinkering in comparison to those of Kingfish.
Namely;
- My supply never seemed to experience pulse charging/hiccup mode, even before modification
- I don't have any problem with excessive fan noise/"buzzing" or overheating under constant 350W OP that needs modification. Fan comes on when hot. Fan turns off when cooled down. Works fine as standard for me.

Anyway, here's the mod...

MW_Mod%20002.jpg

MW_Mod%20004.jpg

MW_Mod%20005.jpg

MW_Mod%20006.jpg

Cool Mod Boost!

Well the MW supply arrived, and I am happy to have paid a little extra for shipping cuz it was airmailed and made it here in about 2 weeks even with the New Year celebration lag in China.

I am trying to figure out how to plug it in and have a quick question, I'm not sure it matters, but which wire goes to the "N" and which wire goes to "L"?

Here in USA, the white wire is the "N" or Neutral, while black is traditionally "L" or Live (hot). But I read online that other countries have this reversed. Before I plug it in, can someone assure me that I have it correctly wired?

photo-149.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, but I have the black to "L" and the White to "N". Is this right?

I wire both of mine like your photo. G = ground (green), N = neutral (white), L = Line (black)

Ykick said:
I wire both of mine like your photo. G = ground (green), N = neutral (white), L = Line (black)

That is the way I wired mine and it works as designed. (bought from Sure)

MW = Mean Wrong :|

I hope it does what I want.

I would like to limit the current, 6A would be fine, I was going to do the shunt mod. I'm thinking I should do Boost's mod now, what are the disadvantages of the shunt snipping option?

sico said:
MW = Mean Wrong :|

I hope it does what I want.

I would like to limit the current, 6A would be fine, I was going to do the shunt mod. I'm thinking I should do Boost's mod now, what are the disadvantages of the shunt snipping option?

Which copy is this one? Does it have CC?

Why absolutly Meanwell? I know they are nice.. I have 4-5 of those from 350 to 1500W... but for cheap and powerfull psu.. there is something else only few person already know :wink:

There is many other 1000W+ psu for under 100$.. sometime 75 $ :mrgreen:

These 48V Cherokee psu are really cheap! and yes.. they are adjustable in a great range and do the CC-CV!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=CAR1248FPB

The model: CAR1248FPB is nice, VERY SMALL ( similar volume as the 350W meanwell) but it output 1000W.. if your battery can take it...)

Doc

Doctorbass said:
These 48V Cherokee psu are really cheap! and yes.. they are adjustable in a great range and do the CC-CV!

Specs say 48V +- 10% so 52.8V max
Seems like it is set by an analog voltage in. (More convenient than the Eltek Flatpacks that have to be programmed)

Did you get one of these? Can you try if that is the actual max voltage? It's a bit low for charging my 16s LiFePO4
Can one up the voltage further using the sense leads or some other simple mod?

jag said:
Doctorbass said:

Seems like it is set by an analog voltage in. (More convenient than the Eltek Flatpacks that have to be programmed)

Did you get one of these? Can you try if that is the actual max voltage? It's a bit low for charging my 16s LiFePO4

Usually using the sense leads to offset the output give only like 0.5V margin.. rarely more. .. It's calculated to be able to compensate for the wire lenght and size being used with that psu.

I know that for 16s this is difficult for a 48V psu to go as high as 60V... my 1500W meanwell go 57V max and my meanwell 1000W go to 50.4.. just enough for 12s lipo...

I never tried that cherokee.. but someone on the forum wrote me to give me that source on ebay.. but i dont remmeber who... :( I cleaned my Pm box too soon!) But i know he had the right wiring to make them to start.

Also.. usually the max voltage is limited by a voltage divider.. and also the max V of the capacitor... i never needed to modify these voltage divider close to the pot that adjust the voltage on any psu

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Also.. usually the max voltage is limited by a voltage divider.. and also the max V of the capacitor... i never needed to modify these voltage divider close to the pot that adjust the voltage on any psu

If there is a potentiometer!

Many of these telecom PSU's are microprocessor controlled and have no potentiometer adjust. This is the interior of my Flatpack2. No pot in sight. Would love to find a simple 53V to 58V or 60V mod if anyone knows.DSCF7988.JPG
DSCF7985.JPGDSCF7986.JPG

jag said:
Doctorbass said:

I got couple of these
It appeared to be good working CC\CV ones
current limiting at around 30a while powered from 220v AC
mine trimmable by default from around 44v to 50.2 but playing with "Voltage programming" pin(D1 on the picture below) and applying there voltage from 0 to +5v i succeeded to trim it from 41.2 to around 56.5 which was enough for to charge my 16s1p 15ah battery (made from cell_man`s a123 puches) in 35minutes :)
I would appreciate if somebody can tell how to make it output 37-38v (to power iCharger 3010)
these psu are really great because of it`s weight and size.
i mean you need at least 3pcs 350w meanwells for the same power output and they would weight about 2.5 times more!!!
the only cons. is the sound similar to vacuum cleaner :D
here is the picture to compare the size
file.php

EDiT:

to power on the psu just short pins A3 and B3 together.

Cherooke_pinout.gif

andreym said:
mine trimmable by default from around 44v to 50.2 but playing with "Voltage programming" pin(D1 on the picture below) and applying there voltage from 0 to +5v i succeeded to trim it from 41.2 to around 56.5 which was enough for to charge my 16s1p 15ah battery (made from cell_man`s a123 puches) in 35minutes :)

I would appreciate if somebody can tell how to make it output 37-38v (to power iCharger 3010)

Just so I don't misunderstand anything: Did you trim it up by taking these two steps:
1. Dial up a trim potentiometer? (is the pot through the hole in the middle of the top plate?)
2. Apply the 5V control voltage. (Specs seem to say max control voltage is 3.6V or something, but hey if it works at 5V then great. I presume you tried more than 5V and it had no effect?)

If there is a trim pot that would be great. As Dr bass suggested then it should not be too difficult to find nearby resistors to modify that will control the voltage in a wider range.

jag said:
Just so I don't misunderstand anything: Did you trim it up by taking these two steps:
1. Dial up a trim potentiometer? (is the pot through the hole in the middle of the top plate?)
Exactly!
2. Apply the 5V control voltage. (Specs seem to say max control voltage is 3.6V or something, but hey if it works at 5V then great. I presume you tried more than 5V and it had no effect?)

If there is a trim pot that would be great. As Dr bass suggested then it should not be too difficult to find nearby resistors to modify that will control the voltage in a wider range.
i just applied the closest available voltage from the pin number A1 :)
I`ll try to set up one more pot there between gnd and +5v and will take a short video of the voltage change.

andreym said:
jag said:
Doctorbass said:

I got couple of these
It appeared to be good working CC\CV ones
current limiting at around 30a while powered from 220v AC
these psu are really great because of it`s weight and size.
i mean you need at least 3pcs 350w meanwells for the same power output and they would weight about 2.5 times more!!!
the only cons. is the sound similar to vacuum cleaner :D
here is the picture to compare the size

EDiT:

to power on the psu just short pins A3 and B3 together.

hi,

have you been able to limit the current from one of these power supplies?

Back