RC motor with dual shafts?

Desertprep

1 kW
Has anyone seen an RC Outrunner with dual shafts? I know that is probably not useful because most OM's are planes but I was wondering, by chance if a helicopter, car or tank might need dual power sources? The reason why I ask is that it seems like it would put equal stress on the bearings of the motor if both sides of the motor were being utilized.

Pretty much all of them can have the shaft coming out of either end, AFAIK. Some come with this as a standard option, some have a shaft adapter bolted on at the bell end and probably all can be fitted with a replacement shaft that's as long as you want to make it fairly easily (I fitted a new home-made shaft top one of my motors, it needed no machining work to do and was very simple).

Whether or not it's an advantage is debatable. The side load from a chain or belt drive is very modest, well within the normal rating of the typical size of bearing used. Electric motors with pulleys or chains fitted to just one end have been in use for well over a century with no real problems.

Jeremy

That is a good point. If I didn't need gear reduction I could just connect the motor to each side of the rear wheel and even out everything. But...if the motor runs too hot, maybe I could put a small propeller on the shaft of the motor not connected to the wheels....or maybe attach an ice grinding machine so that I could sell snow cones at the rest stops...or run a small coffee grinder so that I could have fresh brew...the possibilities are limitless :p

Back