Rewinding a QS 273 motor

One thing I remember thud doing on his rewinds was setting up a multimeter on beep continuity mode then connecting one probe to the stator and the other probe to the wires he was winding with. That way he would immediately know if he had pulled a short and could go back to rearrange the wires or insulate a little more.

One thing I remember thud doing on his rewinds was setting up a multimeter on beep continuity mode then connecting one probe to the stator and the other probe to the wires he was winding with. That way he would immediately know if he had pulled a short and could go back to rearrange the wires or insulate a little more.
Yeah That's what I plan to do as well. The difficulty is that you need to connect it to every wire, but I guess I can solder all the wires together on one end.

I tried that, unfortunately it gives warning only for big short circuits, a small/marginal one needs an isolation tester to be found but can still screw up the motor control and eventually burn the motor.

Last edited:
I finally got the price for a new stator and unfortunately this is way above what I planned. The quoted price is 230 USD, I was expecting around 100USD or less.
That's a bummer, it's too expensive for me, there's also the copper, the phase wires, the insulations, the halls, etc. That's a lot of costs that will add up quickly, with no guarantee of success whatsoever, the motor might very well burn immediately. I can't affort to waste 3 or 400 bucks just like that....

So that will slow down the project for sure. I will need to ask some other suppliers in the hope that they will be able to make it cheaper. Disappointing.

Is there any chance you could find another dead QS273 for parts?
Not really, plus I would need to find the same because not all QS273 have this configuration of magnets/poles. For example my 3000W motors seem completely different with this 8000W.
I will find a solution eventually, but it will surely take some time.

Not really, plus I would need to find the same because not all QS273 have this configuration of magnets/poles. For example my 3000W motors seem completely different with this 8000W.
I will find a solution eventually, but it will surely take some time.
I rewired a hub motor see my post ebike technical. rewinding a burnt out hub motor and speed change
And look here bavaria-direct.co.za
Richard

You could clean up the old laminations and try to re-insulate them if needed.
Yeah that will be the plan if I can't get a better solution.

I rewired a hub motor see my post ebike technical. rewinding a burnt out hub motor and speed change
Nice job mate, kudos!
Any tips or tricks, stuff you think I should know before I attempt the final winding ?

Yeah that will be the plan if I can't get a better solution.

Nice job mate, kudos!
Any tips or tricks, stuff you think I should know before I attempt the final winding ?
its a few years since i did it.i would round the corners of the slots and laquer/varnish the stator before winding to help with shorts.
dont twist or let the wires twist ,keep them parallel to each other. they will take up more room otherwise.
might seem daft, but have a practice with 1 single wire winding the 3 phases.
its hard to keep track of the number of turns.
you need something blunt to push and manipulate the wires in the slots,i used a old rc propeller
take note which need to be wound clockwise anti clockwise.
check on motor calculator link regarding this.
just practice and patience.good look
richard

did this ever get finished,any updates,not good 3 pages with no outcome,sort of sucks!.

Well, no it didn't evolve, unfortunately. Reason being that so far I haven't got the opportunity to find a decent price for making new laminations, it's just too expensive, especially considering the fact that it is not 100% sure that it will work in the end, so that's money that could very well be entirely wasted in the end....

So I have to wait, either for a good opportunity to get it done for cheap, or for me to make more money somehow.
I wish I could finish this project, believe me!

why not get them sand blasted and laqured with 2k,that should work.
For a few reasons:
-They aren't great to begin with,
-I don't have sandblasting equipment ;), doing this by hand would be insanely time consuming. These plates are very delicate, I couldn't use an electric belt sander at the risk of destroying them.
-Many of the plates are bent, it will be very difficult to get them all straight again. they need to be perfectly straight, otherwise it will greatly impact the final thickness of the stack
-I won't be able to control the clear coat thickness and uniformity, there's no way for me to get a repeatable setup for this in my humble garage. This is actually the main issue, the coating is very likely to be too thick, which will make the core much larger than it is right now, wich will make the reassembly difficult or even impossible.

It's not really worth the time and effort, in my opinion. So I prefer to wait until a better opportunity presents itself.

Back