Ever stole electricity?

• Yes

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

Mathurin

100 kW
Unothorised opportunity charging, it's stealing. Ever done it?

Oh, I'm guilty of this, shame on me. When I was riding down Natchez Trace (when I was still using SLA on my bike), I rode up to the ranger station and out front was a nice big outlet. So I pulled out the charger and plugged in for about 30 minutes while I took a lunch break.

Don't know if it counted as stealing, I would have been glad to leave them a penny to pay for the electricity :oops:

Well, a few days ago I went for a good ride at mid-throttle with a good pedal, coat open & all. And so at some point I realised I had used up about half the battery capacity, and the way back was mostly uphill... Uh-oh.

I decided to stop for a coffee at a gas station, figured I'd let the batts rest and fuel up for the grueling ride home while I'm at it. I went to hide the bike on the side that was out of view, next to the forest. Well lo and behold, a beautifull power outlet was waiting for me there! I'd never been so happy to notice a power outlet on a building.

So anyways, I got a coffee and a box of pop-tarts too (they didn't really have food). and went out took my time, had a cig & drank my coffee real slow minding my own buisness you know, another cig...

Well, the 20-30minute charge really did breathe some more life in the batts, I didn't expect so much. The 12V 12Ah SLA bricks had sat outside overnight so they were around freezing, I'm guessing the charge gave them some heat more then just electricity, and the combination of both made all the difference.

Technically I think I do this everyday at work since I never asked anyone for permission to charge my bike. Then again, I never asked permission to plug in my radio which goes all day, or my fan which runs when it's hot.

Of course I do. I know every outlet up and down the coast by San Francisco, use 'em all the time. If it's appropriate, I ask, and I've never been turned down. The best example of this is the golf course in Golden Gate Park. There's only one outlet, and it's where everybody can see it - so I ask the owner, he says OK, and then I have some great pulled-pork BBQ and hang out.

Other places, there's either nobody to ask, or too many people to ask; you'd have to go up the chain of command. In these cases, much simpler to just plug in.

Opportunity charging is part of the EV life, whether permitted or not. Some bigwigs say the infrastructure isn't there; yet electricity is the most ubiquitous energy source in North America.

There's a new Japanese restaurant, and the owners have the whole building. In the enclosed parking lot, there are a half dozen spaces each with their own 15 amp socket. Not only a great idea, but it draws customers (or it will in the future). If most places did this, range becomes a non-issue.

Liken it to the Mid-West. It gets so cold, there are plugs by EVERY parking space - people need this to plug in their engine block heaters so the oil doesn't freeze. There is no charge for this.

It's not stealing - it's saving the planet.

It's not stealing - it's saving the planet.

Depends on the situation. Let's take the opposite extreme.

Every night for a month and without asking you ride up to your neighbor's house at night, a widower on a fixed income, plugging-in to her outdoor socket. The unexpectedly inflated electric bill causes her to be unable to afford her heart medication, so she dies a couple weeks later.

Is that stealing?

Is that manslaughter?

Are you saving the planet? (we don't have to ride ebikes or drive cars)

I usually ask - although sometimes it can be a bit awkward. One time someone looked at my 36V SLA pack and said "kinda looks like a bomb" - other times it takes a bit of explaining ("you have an electric bicycle? why?")

A couple of times - like at a crowded bar in the evening - it looked like it would be a weird painful kind of conversation to ask permission from the stressed out staff by shouting over the bar. I've not asked permission 3 or 4 times, and have asked permission literally dozens of times. Most people give me a shrug and a look like "why are you even asking?" and tell me "sure".

Nowadays with the lithium ion pack, I usually have more than enough juice to get me there and back and the chargers are pretty heavy (my 12V 17A power supply is a brick). I don't take it with me, so this has become a non-issue for me.

But although I sleep with a clean conscience, honestly requires that I answer "yes" to this question.

Depends on the situation. Let's take the opposite extreme.

Every night for a month and without asking you ride up to your neighbor's house at night, a widower on a fixed income, plugging-in to her outdoor socket. The unexpectedly inflated electric bill causes her to be unable to afford her heart medication, so she dies a couple weeks later.

Is that stealing?

Is that manslaughter?

Are you saving the planet? (we don't have to ride ebikes or drive cars)

Don't be ridiculous. If you want to be an assbite, at least be correct with regard to gender. You and Safe were made for each other. Maybe you guys (I use the term loosely) should get a life.

Patrick said:
Don't be ridiculous. If you want to be an assbite, at least be correct with regard to gender. You and Safe were made for each other. Maybe you guys (I use the term loosely) should get a life.

It was a serious and reflective question, appropriate to this topic, that I asked myself when I saw the poll question. Approaching the truth from both sides, arguing ever less extreme cases, is a time honored epistemological technique used at least since the time of the greeks.
And I fail to see what gender has to do with the right or wrong of using someone else's electricity to charge your batteries.

Patrick, I suspect when debating you can do better than childish, ad hominem attacks.

I have never paid a cent for a charge in six years, from landlords or clients or restaurants or Parks Department or public transit. Only *once* have I been invited to unplug my vehicle from "her building".

Most folks are intrigued and welcoming if/when the topic comes up.

tks
L

xyster said:
And I fail to see what gender has to do with the right or wrong of using someone else's electricity to charge your batteries.
He was referring to 'widower' as a 'her' but a widower is a man who's lost his wife. A widow is a woman who's lost her husband.

I've plugged into airport outlets to recharge my laptop. Does that count?

The question is stupid as it assumes we're using inordinant amounts of electricity for our e-bikes. It is actually not that much. I know alot of people have computed it -- don't you use like 20 cents worth per trip?

If the business allows people to use the outlets for free, then there's no problem. If it's not allowed but you do it anyway, then yes, that's stealing, or rather it's almost more like trespassing.

have charged my ebike battery at work and not asked (about cents worth) and have also charged mobile phones @ work and at the pub

But as for getting the old bill involved I think they would rather be eating their cooked breakfast[/b][/code]

on the virgin trains (UK) there are power sockets everywhere for laptops an phones -there are even sockets in the bike storage area! i use this ALWAYS on any train journey.

one time a ticket collector told me to unplug because the socket was "only designed for small cleaning tools". i couldn't be arsed explaining that i was only drawing 50 watt, the guy loved telling ppl what to do.

If you charge your cell pone or laptop at the mall, is it stealing?

No one cares, then it doesn't matter.

You do it at work or someone's house where they don't know and might care -> stealing

Regardless, electric motorcycles are cheap to power, and unless there is someone who might have a problem with it, I wouldn't worry...

I think the government should (In the future, when we have a power grid strong enough) supply power for free around cities and public areas to EV's as a reward for their use.

blackstangt said:
I think the government should (In the future, when we have a power grid strong enough) supply power for free around cities and public areas to EV's as a reward for their use.
Hear! Hear!

In Stuttgart ya get solar-powered battery dispensers... (coming soon AFAIK)

Attachments

• Stuttgart.jpg
    Stuttgart.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 4,732
That's pretty cool, I was talking to someone about that today, we agreed that solar panels on the vehicle aren't necessary as long as they are fixed in enough locations to give a charge... Although if it's on the vehicle, it could extend the range immensely.

blackstangt said:
Although if it's on the vehicle, it could extend the range immensely.

Possibly, but consider: A 100% efficient solar panal will make about 1kW per square yard. Most (affordable) solar cells are between 10% to 30% efficient. So about 100 to 300W for a solar panal the size of your bike. That's directly facing a California high-noon sun.

A solar station at home seems like a better idea, except for the cost. 10< year investment return assuming nothing goes wrong? No thanks. I'll stick to the grid for now...

the widower / widow comment got me laughing

in my country medical care is free although prescription medication has to be paid for - but certain people are exempt - and im almost certain this man / woman would be exempt

even so - if he / she has to pay for food im sure they could afford £1.50 ($3) a month hike in electricity bill (and that would cover a full charge a day for most of us)

if the person paid by direct debit then that extra electricity would not affect monthly payments due to seasonal fluctuations in usage
and they would also make a saving paying this way over quarterly bills

if they had a pre-payment meter then they could control there usage by turning lights off etc watching less tv -

obviously countries vary but in the western world i see zero chance of this situation occurring
i dont condone steeling electricity - always ask
but no reason to come up with fairy tales
it deserved the big childish fake ghayyyyy

I steal car batteries. They don't really have electricity in them, it turns into electricity on the way out of them.

:p

Link said:
Possibly, but consider: A 100% efficient solar panal will make about 1kW per square yard. Most (affordable) solar cells are between 10% to 30% efficient. So about 100 to 300W for a solar panal the size of your bike. That's directly facing a California high-noon sun.

A solar station at home seems like a better idea, except for the cost. 10< year investment return assuming nothing goes wrong? No thanks. I'll stick to the grid for now...

Well, you can have both, if commercial fields maintain the solar panels, they will be a safer investment. They move as protection from the weather. The commercial industry can afford the efficient ones' initial cost.

TylerDurden said:
I steal car batteries. They don't really have electricity in them, it turns into electricity on the way out of them.

:p

lqtm (laughing quietly to myself)

They have electrons and take electricity to create...

Back