Bzhwindtalker's Blue FR (GNG mid drive)

bzhwindtalker

100 kW
Hey all!
I just finished my new freeride build and I will be posting some ride videos here. Not a build thread as I used a GNG brushless mid drive. The bike pulls verry well on 16s A123 even if the cells are from 2007 and have been abused a lot. I ride on 16s2p ~ 4ah usable at 52v nominal, still gives me 35min of hard riding! The bike is still verry pedal-able and jumping performance is still very good. The kit quality is quite cheap but it's not too badly engeneered. I managed to get it running in my student room with minimal tooling so it's not too hard to set-up either. This bike does all my previous custom bikes did with no chassis modifiactions, and lower drivetrain inertia wich means faster throttle response, almost too fast actually!

This is the first ride video of this morning's ride
[youtube]v2x5q_fbMKE[/youtube]

I hope to get better videos soon!

Adam

The kit is stock exepted that I modded the throttle for half twist and I run 16s A123 at 52v nominal vs 44v for 12s lipo. I also run a left hand rear brake set-up like I do on all my bikes now. And that's pretty much it!

What speed do you get out of 16s and does it get hot?

Awesome. Sounds like a pretty good little package for the money.

Do you think it would climb something like this? Its considerably steeper than it looks in the video, very close to 35-40* I would say near the top!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38553&start=45#p650154

Yeah It will probably with some ligth pedal assist. This thing works, really. I have been jumping really hard in a small park that will become my new "private" bmx track :) SOme bolts got loose and I lost a nut, the BB freewheel also got loose so I had to do some maintenance. The belt looks wasted already :/ I will order some spares. I am thinking about a 14s5ah lipo setup to replace the dying A123 pack, as 4ah already gave me a really good range for my use. But now I fear such a small pack will look ridiculous on the bike :roll:

Awesome! Sounds like a killer setup! I would LOVE to get a lighter bike together. Maybe a really light hardtail! Would be a killer trail machine!

I build me a hard tail with the GNG. I need to do the wiring and done. It's really light and balanced well.

Could you weigh it? What bike did you use?

A GNG on a hardtail would be nice but I managed to bend badly my Dirt mtb wheels with a few weeks of pedal only riding so I can't imagine how long it would last with 8kg of motor added to that :roll:

I just ordered lipo for a 14S 1p setup from the hk germany wharehouse, hope to get it saturday (maybe...)
This will save 1Kg and add 30% of capacity. I liked the safety feel I had from A123's M1 cells!
250wh is a really small pack but it could make some serious damage in my appartment if something went bad :(

I was doing some really big jumps today (I did not have my camera :cry: ) and I totaled the BB spindle. I thougth those were the kind of parts that would never fail but china is full of surprises! The axle is bent badly, making pedaling very unconfortable and the chain jumps quite a lot. I am only 65kg and the bike is 25, but the jumps were quite intense, 5-6m long and 1,5-2m high on grass. Now what? so far I've totaled any ebike I rode on offroad stuff and jumps without being hurt too badly. This is clearly wrong, the bike should always survive your fails! I would get a motorcycle but I like a lot more a ligthweigth bike that can do the same kind of stuff on public roads and parks...
Some explications in the video (bad english sorry)

[youtube]gm6Fhn0BArE[/youtube]

bzhwindtalker said:
I was doing some really big jumps today (I did not have my camera :cry: ) and I totaled the BB spindle. I thougth those were the kind of parts that would never fail but china is full of surprises! The axle is bent badly, making pedaling very unconfortable and the chain jumps quite a lot. I am only 65kg and the bike is 25, but the jumps were quite intense, 5-6m long and 1,5-2m high on grass. Now what? so far I've totaled any ebike I rode on offroad stuff and jumps without being hurt too badly. This is clearly wrong, the bike should always survive your fails! I would get a motorcycle but I like a lot more a ligthweigth bike that can do the same kind of stuff on public roads and parks...
Some explications in the video (bad english sorry)

cycle trials bikes bend BB spindles easy thats why most riders will go for the shortest bb spindle length and the thickest , also they can snap or sheer in two !!

Edit: The spindle bending is ok but if you are landing hard I would invest in some very good/strong peddles and peddle arms, because if either of these fail it is going to really hurt.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I've been keeping an eye on the CNG kits. I wasn't really convinced of the quality or robustness of the design. The metal used seem to be too soft to take any abuse. I was surprised the BB bent, this part is usually hardened, but it looks like they went with the cheapest manufacturer they could find. I don't plan to get the kit and will work on my own middrive. It's unfortunate since the kit looked like it had a lot going for it.

I like to think that I'm hard on my equipment as well. There is a certain level I require, the CNG kit just doesn't meet that.

Nice jump, bad choice for a landing. Grass is just too unpredictable to land on.

Trialin! I almost broke the derailleur hanger because of a too short chain ( you can see that on the picture)
Making this bike relyable will indeed be a bit hard, but i'm sure it will be worth it. this kit is really versatile and "do it all"

284163_10151226649544617_1044361220_n.jpg

397244_10151226649684617_784518069_n.jpg

Video:
[youtube]rA7kHzU5tWo[/youtube]

nice vid, the kit looks more than capable to do some easy trials, You need to take it along to a event and see if they will let you enter on it... could start a new trials discipline :D

Yeah but I should learn to ride trials first haha!I have a decent level in freeriding but my trial skills sucks.
When the bike will be a little more refined I'll get back it toutch with Electric Motion to see if they could get a good rider on it or whatever to do some noise in the trial world!

Back