1000 Watt 48 Volt Rear Hub Build V2

W1R3D

1 mW
Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
Hi Guys,
I am new here and feel since I have finally got my 2nd generation Ebike up and running that I should make a post about it for discussion, tips and ideas for others and myself.
It was very challenging as I live in Alice Springs in the Northern Territory in Australia which is smack bang in the middle on the country which is pretty much a fulls day trip to a major city and roughly 2500 Kms from Sydney. There are 3 bike shops in town with very limited stock and next to no experience in Ebikes. I found 1 was not even interested another just talked its way out of work but Smith St Velo Bike shop was great. Shane the owner was always interested in my crazy ideas and not afraid to give it a try or to hepl advise.
This began as a New Years resolution to start riding to improve the strength in my legs. I do have a medical condition that limits the distance I can walk and the time I can stand and I knew that I would not be able to ride 100% to and from work so electrical assistance was required. 200 watt was never an option I when as big as my budget would allow.. 1000 watt

I started with a cheap 1000 watt 48 Volt Rear Hub Motor kit from Ebay as step into the market combined with a $10 bike from the local Tip I built my first ebike. I also purchased a few other bits and peices that I have also used on my 2nd gen.
I chose to change the rim size on the rear wheel and rebuilt it myself with some custom 14 gauge spokes from my local bike shop (Smith St Velo - the best bike guy in town). To hold the 2 x 16 000 mAh Multistar LIHV batteries I built a lockable front holder inside the front basket and to hold the controller I built a box into the rear rack over the rear wheel.

Before I really started working on it

AAAH16paFmOFQdi9asVEleA8a

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/sbp8tsa6bf8nzo0/AAAH16paFmOFQdi9asVEleA8a

Once complete

AAADHo2PbpPHyHH-q9FhZDpza

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w3aekiux0buezzw/AAADHo2PbpPHyHH-q9FhZDpza

I am not a bike mechanic and started with very limited skills. But I did not let this stop me and I had a crack at building a wheel which in the end was my down fall. After about 3 weeks of riding I was on my way home and put too much side pressure on a little side skid and broke 10 of the 36 spokes. I did not notice it at the time and it was only that a few of the broken spokes punctured the rear tub a few times that I stopped.
I believe the fail was a mixture of my wheel building skills and having too small a gauge spoke.

I took this as a sign that if I was to stop having issues I had to beef thing up, so I started scanning Ebay, Gumtree and other places for some heavy duty parts.
In the end I ended up with the below-

- Yamaha DH frame
- Marzocchi Suspension 2005 forks 888 RC
- Ritchey Superlogic Expander Starnut Top Cap with 1' carbon fibre stem spacers
- Mr Dirt Gizmo to hold my chain where it should be
- Cannondale Coda Crank set 175mm Square Taper ISO
- 20mm Dia Front hub to match the forks with rim and spokes
- Maxxis Holy Roller 26 x 2.2 tyre (1 still on the way for the front)
- ZEFAL Tyre Liner for 26" plus some Slime for both tubs
- VENZO Braided Bike Brake Cables Set With Housing Gold
- VENZO Braided Bike Shifter Cables Set With Housing Gold
- DNM Mountain Downhill Bike Coil Rear Shock 750 lbs 220mm inc Titan Damper Axles Titanium screw and Slices
- Dragster Lowrider Bike Moon Cruiser Handlebar Black
- Sturmey Archer Brake Levers
- Shimano Tourney Rear Derailleur & 6-Speed Shift Lever
- Topeak Defender XC1 Front Mud Guard
- Wellgo MG-5 Magnesium BMX Mountain Bike Pedals Yellow
- 2 x 6 cell 16 000 mAh Multistar LIHV batteries
- 2 x 200 watt DC Neuton LIHV battery recharge, balance and discharge
- SKYRC eFUEL 30A DC 240V AC Switching Power Supply Adjustable 12-18 Volt
- Bluetooth Wireless Speaker Mini BASS olivary Portable For Smartphone
- 2 King Crown Valve Caps Bicycle GOLD
- X Tech Cruiser Saddle Seat
-SolarStorm 3xCREE T6 LED 9000Lm Front Head inc battery

Parts to install in near future
- SRAM XX 2x10 Grip Twist (might try a thumb throttle to enable full 2 x 10 speed)
- Sunrace 10 speed freewheel hub
- SRAM GPX crankset and 2 front gears
- AVID Juicy Seven brake calipers and levers
- 180 mm rear disc
- Hydraulic Hose Kit Carbon Ultimate in GOLD
- Cycle Analyst Meter
- 12-48V EBike Throttle with led voltage meter
- New SCADA CCG02 Nylon Chain Guide Tensioner Retention System
- A new headset kit as current one has too much play

I have made a custom box to hold the batteries in between the seat and the forks. It also features side covers that can be unscrew to allow easier access when needed and a top lid that can be unlocked with a key to access the batteries for charging.

Gen 2 with bullet proof mechanicals
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/g8wuyi2w71nqtvi/AAARD13fLoGTCLhjv9DEKFEWa
AAARD13fLoGTCLhjv9DEKFEWa

The only weak point I can see atm is the cheap Chinese motor and I am already looking into other types of motors maybe a LR mid Kit. However I have to wait till I get some more savings up.
This ebike is my only form of transport and instead of paying for a year of rego on my V8 Supercharged and intercooled Holden Ute I put that money into my ebikes which do not need fuel and the running cost are a lot cheaper.

If you guys know of a good quality kits either new or used drop me a line as I would be interested to know.
If you want to ask a question I am happy to share my experiences building my 2 ebikes with you.
I am not too sure if my pic will display so I have also shared a link to my Drop Box

As a future upgrade i would like to learn how to construct a onboard 50 volt battery system.
I currently do not know where to start or what parts are needed. If anyone has plans or ideas on the best way to build a system i would love to hear from you.
So drop me a line or shot me an email to W1R3D@Live.com.au
Currently i run 2 x 22 volt 6 cell 16 000 aMh LIHV Multistar batteries.
I do plan to upgrade my motor within the next 12 months but have not decided on what type. So my new battery system will need to have this in mind

There's lots of threads about various kinds of battery builds, both from new and used parts, and from "scratch" or kits, and various connection methods.

But you'll need to read around the forums. Most will be in the Battery Technology subforum, the rest are scattered around (including some discussion in various for-sale threads about cells themselves). I don't have any direct links, though.

There's also some of the packs in the "show us your homemade battery housing" thread that were custom built, too, and some have links to their build threads.

Back