1000w 48v 15ah hub drive = distance on the flat

We have a Schwinn 700c conversion with similar specs. Using pedal assist 1 and 2, cruising 10-12mph on pavement with occasional short rolling hills, our butt tires out before the battery is even close. Thinking 40 mile on a charge pretty easily.

If you cruise at 20-23 mph, you should be able to go 30 miles pretty easily. You could go much further if you cruise slower than 20 mph or so.

It is generally safe to assume about 25 wh/mile if you don't go much faster than 20 mph since you can usually do a bit better than that. Your weight shouldn't be much of a penalty on flat ground - especially if you have your tires inflated toward the high side.

thanks folks ,
i forgot to mention i cant use peddle assist, i can peddle to get the bike moving, but really thats it , due to the c.o.p.d .. i can peddle a few secs now and again,
i need to cover a 8 mile journey each way so thats 16 miles , and was wondering if i needed to get a second battery ,

Since a hub motor does use a lot of power in starts, it is how often you have to stop and start in a ride that will make the most difference.

Building your bike with smaller wheels, would improve its efficiency in acceleration. I’d say you will be much better on small wheels with big tires, than on large wheels with small tires.

MadRhino said:
Since a hub motor does use a lot of power in starts, it is how often you have to stop and start in a ride that will make the most difference.

Building your bike with smaller wheels, would improve its efficiency in acceleration. I’d say you will be much better on small wheels with big tires, than on large wheels with small tires.

I have a similar motor and agree that the added torque you'd get with a smaller rear wheel could really help with accelerating from a stop and/or hill climbing.

I'd also like to add that if range becomes a problem, be sure to take advantage of coasting to red lights and stops signs. In other words, get out of the throttle/motor power early when you are sure that you will be coming to a stop soon. Coast on in if you aren't in a rush. Think of it as a poor man's regen.

And speaking of regen, you can get a KT controller that will give you regen that would be compatible with your LCD display and motor for about $70 U.S. That might be a good idea if you have a lot of stop and go. If you do, the regen should help reduce brake wear and help conserve battery.

I have a 29" with 1000w, 20 amp, 48 volt my weight is the same in PAS I travel at 10mph and can do 60 miles at 15 mph it is down to 40 miles and full out 25-30mph (wind and road conditions flat ground only) maybe 20 miles, set at max of 29 amp. Use a CA 2.3 great setup for me. I also run 2.5" hookworm tires.

thx folks , this sounds better than i thought it would ,
i have a 10ah lipo that i bought 4 or 5 years ago but its been in storage for 3 years or more , i keep it charged so cant wait to see how far that one will go,
my new 15ah has turned up today in the post so i will be taken that one with me for when the 10ah go flat,

i cant use pas as i have copd, but i can pedal to get the bike moving, and at 15 - 20mph i cant see me keeping up with the speed anyway lol :)

Back